Texans at Panthers 7:30 WED

ALF

I think we're giving Watson just a little too much credit here. This is not a wide-eyed rookie -- he played in back-to-back national championship games. If he didn't show poise and command I'd be worried. I saw a QB who certainly wasn't afraid of the stage last night, but who did not throw the ball particularly well either.

This^ Watson is never going to be intimidated. It's likely that this will make him look quite good at times. He also has the ability to make plays outside of the pocket. These are things that will never be questioned. Ultimately Watson's career is going to be determined by how well he throws the ball from the pocket with accuracy.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This^ Watson is never going to be intimidated. It's likely that this will make him look quite good at times. He also has the ability to make plays outside of the pocket. These are things that will never be questioned. Ultimately Watson's career is going to be determined by how well he throws the ball from the pocket with accuracy.

The step from college to the pros is huge! Guys that come from blue blood college programs also have the benefit of simply having better football players all the way around. The talent gap in the NFL is not nearly as great as it is in college. While there are some bad teams in the NFL, overall, the talent in the NFL is the best of the best in college. My point being, he's going to need to be able to recognize so many defensive looks/coverages.....he won't be able to simply throw the ball in the direction of a Mike Williams (an elite receiver) and know that he'll take the ball away from what was a three star college DB.

I do think Watson has the ability to become a solid starter in the NFL but it's gonna take a lot of game reps and a ton of film work and practice to get there.

Chiming in and agreed with both of you. Decent start, but against 2's and 3's you gotta look better than that. I think the mental aspect of Watson's game is strong, but the NFL will figure out your weaknesses and exploit them. Carson Wentz checked at the line all the way to 7-9. Granted, the Houston defense is better.

I look at Dak's debut last year and he was playing 1's and 2's and looked better than Watson did last night.

I think we're giving Watson just a little too much credit here. This is not a wide-eyed rookie -- he played in back-to-back national championship games. If he didn't show poise and command I'd be worried. I saw a QB who certainly wasn't afraid of the stage last night, but who did not throw the ball particularly well either.

Checks at he line and hot reads don't correlate to national championship games.

@evansilva

On re-watch, concerning how long Deshaun Watson took to get rid of the ball & ball placement was recurring problem. Needs a lot more snaps.

@JoshNorris

Josh Norris Retweeted Evan Silva

Watson's initial reaction to pressure/disruption is by far my biggest concern. Same at Clemson

@RobRang

Rookie Review: DeShaun Watson's athleticism, vision shown on 15 yard TD run but deceiving stats (15/25 for 179) as a passer in debut.

Watson was effective on underneath bootlegs but subpar touch & accuracy downfield, including off play-action & with clean pocket.

Rookie Review: Christian McCaffrey's totals in debut won't wow (7 rushes for 33 yards) but quicks, willingness to cut back inside stood out.

Here's the link to every one of Watson's plays last night. I guess for a rookie he looked ok, but certainly not great. Some really bad misses downfield. Also taking a LOT of time to read the field. Best throw of the night was late in the 3rd quarter (about 4:45 into the video). Big chunk of his yardage was a meaningless sideline throw at the end of the first half.

I don't know how anyone could draw conclusions (good or bad) from that performance. I saw a QB who has a ways to go.

He did have a few pretty bad passes, for a first game as a rookie I would say he did pretty well though

I don't get the positive reactions. I thought he looked really bad. His throws were off target a lot. The rushing TD isn't really impressive against the 2s and 3s in a vanilla formation. I see the same flaws he had in college which IMO will prevent him from ever doing anything at the NFL level.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how anyone could have watched that and thought it was bad. I feel bad for the bashing Peterman is likely going to get tonight if that's the case

Wow. Based on the comments, I was expecting to see a really good game from Watson.

Instead, I got a case of EJPTSD.

Looked relatively poised, but held the ball too long and was terribly inaccurate. I think 3rd stringers were in by the time he was able to score...

Of course, these are things he can improve on. I would still start Savage at this point. The Texans shouldn't throw Watson to the wolves just yet.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how anyone could have watched that and thought it was bad. I feel bad for the bashing Peterman is likely going to get tonight if that's the case

Most of these types of responses were to very positive reviews of Watson's first game, including NFL.com's claim that Watson "Wowed" in his debut. I came away far less impressed than the hype had suggested. He wasn't bad, but he was far from a performance that "Wow" signifies.

Most of these types of responses were to very positive reviews of Watson's first game, including NFL.com's claim that Watson "Wowed" in his debut. I came away far less impressed than the hype had suggested. He wasn't bad, but he was far from a performance that "Wow" signifies.

Yeah that's where I'm at. It wasn't a disaster by any means. I just wasn't very impressed and I feel that Watson's major flaw - ball placement - isn't likely to get much better. And he's had that problem since college. It's a big reason why I thought he was a 2nd round prospect.

Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

Regarding rookie quarterback, Patrick Mahomes II and his three-interception practice on Monday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he will accept the occasional training camp pick as long as it serves as a learning experience. "It's important quarterbacks use (practice) time to . . . see what you can get away with in the offense," Reid said. "Interceptions, I get it. I want them to test the waters now so he gets to learn the parameters of this offense and what you can get away with on each route." Reid has said similar things about Alex Smith in the past. The Chiefs have encouraged Smith to be more aggressive with his decision-making during camp practice sessions to see what might work on a given play.

This all makes too much sense. I hope our current coaches have a similar philosophy. Ultimately I couldn't care less if our QB's throw a bunch of picks in TC/pre-season if they're testing the abilities of their offense along the way.

I wonder how much 'keeping up appearances' has come into play in the past- seems like we've had more than our share of timid QB play for... forever.

Wow. Based on the comments, I was expecting to see a really good game from Watson.

Instead, I got a case of EJPTSD.

Looked relatively poised, but held the ball too long and was terribly inaccurate. I think 3rd stringers were in by the time he was able to score...

Of course, these are things he can improve on. I would still start Savage at this point. The Texans shouldn't throw Watson to the wolves just yet.

That's unfair to label the kid EJ. He's got time. I think Savage was better. His arm strength is not great. He isn't as quick nor fast as Tyrod. But he was poised for a rookie and did good things. It'll be good if he can play backup for a year or two.