Day care costs

YoloinOhio

It's your child. You want the best. But you don't want to be wasteful, after all college starts tomorrow.

Absolutely. He / we are fortunate enough to already have a pretty significant balance in a 529 plan courtesy of his grandpa / my FIL. He shouldn't have to worry about any student loans unlike his dad had to! I'm about finished though, only have about 8 grand left that I'll pay off later this fall. Will have taken me 11 years but I'll have covered almost 100k in loans and obv a lot more than that with the interest factored in. Luckily for us my better half didn't have any from undergrad or law school!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. He / we are fortunate enough to already have a pretty significant balance in a 529 plan courtesy of his grandpa / my FIL. He shouldn't have to worry about any student loans unlike his dad had to! I'm about finished though, only have about 8 grand left that I'll pay off later this fall. Will have taken me 11 years but I'll have covered almost 100k in loans and obv a lot more than that with the interest factored in. Luckily for us my better half didn't have any from undergrad or law school!

My brother in law was here last weekend with family for my wife's BDay. He's a pediatrician, and his wife is an OB/GYN. They have three kids, the oldest now in college. They've done a TON of cool stuff, all over the world! But had not saved a nickel for college. Pain comes in different sizes and forms. They are now learning that. (I love him th death, BTW)

We bought pre-paid when our kids were in diapers, and have coughed up the extras. I think they understand how lucky they are.....

People liked working for me! :)

She was as sweet as could be, like my Golden Retriever, and about as smart. She once came up $2,000 short in her drawer and had a breakdown. I knew it wasn't her, she was there for the love of it. I had a very good idea who lifted it from her drawer (the sneaky b!tch), but couldn't warn a big client when she left to work there. Even if i knew for sure, you can't do that legally.

I think thieves count on the fact you can't do that legally.

Edited by Greybeard

I had a bank employee years ago who had three kids, and it literally COST HER MONEY to come to work. She just wanted to be productive with adults.

I would argue spending time at the bar or OTB is productive and with adults and would have gone that way.

In terms of childcare costs, have a friend/ ex-neighbor where both spouses worked at GE with very good jobs that i am sure paid very well.

The wife decided she wanted to run her own business, and after a ton research, about 10 years ago opened their first "early education center"..

They have six today, are no longer our neighbor's LOL, husband retired at age 51 to be assistant Crew coach at a local university..let's just say the investment and risk has paid off handsomely for her!

Thinking about putting my 11 month old in part time daycare. Our schedules work so that we haven't had to put him up yet. Prices were getting are around 300-400 per week. You gotta pay for full time to even send part time here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

our 15 month old goes 2-3 days a week in East Amherst, and we're paying roughly $60 a day, so it's like $180 for the weeks he goes three days. Not awful, but it stings, he really seems to love it there.

Edited by MarkAF43

I was paying $250 a week 2 years ago. Thankfully my mother retired since then. We wanted to have our 2nd kid sooner, but 2 daycare payments at the same time would have killed us. It would have been another mortgage and then some. And the kicker is you pay whether they go or not. Closed for snow, get out your wallet.....kid sick pay up.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I salute you for actually acknowledging your debt and working to pay it off. What a refreshing occurance in this age of evading one's responsibilities until the gov't creates a way out w/o paying.

Edited by Keukasmallies

Let me spin this thread. Doggy day care. Send mine once a week to Camp Bow Wow. What they charge and the number of dogs there. What a cash cow.........er dog. I wonder if that is for me to open one

i don't have a dog but I agree it looks like a wise investment to open one of those places!

i don't have a dog but I agree it looks like a wise investment to open one of those places!

They have them all over Atlanta. I HATE them as they are poorly managed and supervised by people who can't get a real job. My son worked at one....I could tell stories that make me sick. I'm careful at a dog park where I'm there to watch over things. I'd NEVER drop my dog off at one and leave her there. Too many nasty dogs out there. Against my wishes our dog was taken to one and we had to take her to the vet for the paw that mysteriously got slashed open. We agreed that was her last trip to doggie day care. The next time I went out of town I got a call on my cell informing me she was resting comfortably in her own private space, but she might need a trip to the vet. The vet said her dislocated hip was not the result of displaysia, it popped in the opposite direction, more like she'd been hit by a car. We almost had to put her down, but an operation (FHO) that cost thousands has her looking good as new.

No thank you.

Generally added up to $10-$12/hour for us in CT, so total bill all depended on how much we used it. Pre-school averaged out the same once you factored in all the add-ons. This was where having twins was really a major bite in the ass.

Of course, now they are out of that they have after school 'enrichment' programs, hobbies, sports, etc. so the bills just keep on coming.

The solution, as I see it, is for me to work harder. :death:

Currently on about $175 a week and it used to be about $250 but the daycare I use gives a "discounted" rate when they hit 3 years old. It requires less people per child, as they put it.

yes that's true - infants are the most $ because the state requires so many teachers per child. The ratio goes down as they get older. Edited by YoloinOhio

Anyone use day care for their kids and what is the cost in your area? It's like a second mortgage. Just paid my last day care after 10 years/3 kids. Feel like I got a huge raise. I can see why some people feel like it's not even worth going back to work for one parent sometimes depending on their salary.

Seriously. That's why my wife and I decided to have outdoor babies. Saves so much money.

I think my daughter spends around $3200 a month for the 2 granddaughters.

So, about $38,400 annually (of after tax income). That's a chunk! Our grandson has a November birthday. I was born in October and usually the youngest in my class. When determining when to start a child in school, I'm sure cost of day care is often a serious consideration.

So, about $38,400 annually (of after tax income). That's a chunk! Our grandson has a November birthday. I was born in October and usually the youngest in my class. When determining when to start a child in school, I'm sure cost of day care is often a serious consideration.

the cutoff for kindergarten here is age 5 by Aug. 1. Most families do the "redshirt" year even if the kid was born in June or July. Just seems to be the trend. No one wants their kids to be at any perceived disadvantage as it pertains to academics or athletics later on if "young" for their class. I do think daycare costs could come into play though for certain families with that decision. Edited by YoloinOhio

one will be in kindergarten next year but will still have to go to after school care.