BILLS Tried Claiming WR Bruce Ellington Off Waivers

I haven't followed reports on the group at all through the offseason but I'll say the WR group has been the one position that I sway the farthest on.

One day it'll be - healthy sammy, really productive rookie, a good upside guy that has produced as a role player and some potential at 4-5 with a good TE on top

The next: can Sammy and Clay stay healthy, because both have struggled and it's all question marks behind them

I haven't followed reports on the group at all through the offseason but I'll say the WR group has been the one position that I sway the farthest on.

One day it'll be - healthy sammy, really productive rookie, a good upside guy that has produced as a role player and some potential at 4-5 with a good TE on top

The next: can Sammy and Clay stay healthy, because both have struggled and it's all question marks behind them

I wasn't impressed with the group last week. I liked Streater, Watkins and Jones. Powell has good hands too. In general though they aren't very good. It seems like the Bills realize that. They are definitely looking. I thought that they lacked speed and Ellington would have checked that box.

Maybe a visible play to pressure Boldin

There's no pressure on Boldin. It could be he decides to retire. He's had a long career, does he need to play another season and be separated from his family? Fact the Bills are slow playing things tells me Boldin is in control.

Honestly I don't understand why this would pressure Boldin.

There's only so long we can wait and adding WRs dimenishes our need for him. He has all the leverage, so making a play for decent caliber WRs shows we're not just going to sit back and let him dictate terms and conditions

I wasn't impressed with the group last week. I liked Streater, Watkins and Jones. Powell has good hands too. In general though they aren't very good. It seems like the Bills realize that. They are definitely looking. I thought that they lacked speed and Ellington would have checked that box.

Yea, seeing them still looking hard at upgrades for all spots 2-5 has me feeling a little down on the group behind Sammy lately. It wouldn't take a ton to amp me back up a little though. Zay plays well and Holmes shows anything and if Sammy stays healthy and it's a respectable group quickly- none of those items being stretches either.

There's only so long we can wait and adding WRs dimenishes our need for him. He has all the leverage, so making a play for decent caliber WRs shows we're not just going to sit back and let him dictate terms and conditions

Well, with zero guarantee on Ellingtons contract we could claim him and cut him 5 mins later so it's not a ton of pressure

Doesn't Streater have some speed?

Competition is good but how many do they need? Tate did very well last season, ranking in the top 10 in both punt and kickoff returns. They added Taiwan and wasn't T. White supposed to have been a good returner?

Competition is good but how many do they need? Tate did very well last season, ranking in the top 10 in both punt and kickoff returns. They added Taiwan and wasn't T. White supposed to have been a good returner?

I doubt that they use their 1st round pick / starting corner to return punts. If they do they're idiots. I'm a Tate fan as a returner. It would be his job until further notice IMO. I think Ellington is there to push Ross.