Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

For the thread on "Song titles that include the name of a man or a woman", I had been looking for a live version of Country Joe's "Tricky Dicky" song about Richard Nixon, and I actually found one.

Looking at the clip, I thought I had seen the girl on piano and back-up vocals before. And indeed, it is Dorothy Moskowitz, who had been the main vocalist of the band "The United States of America", who had made just one critically-acclaimed album in 1968, using very primitive electronic devices, but no guitars. It is still one of my favorite (if you are impatient, you might want to skip the first minute of the two following clips).

On 4/21/2023 at 1:22 PM, T&C said:

I really like it, because I like this genre of music. However, there is nothing that makes Camel stand out compared with other bands in this musical style (which is not necessarily a bad thing if you like this type of music, as I do).

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrW said:

I really like it, because I like this genre of music. However, there is nothing that makes Camel stand out compared with other bands in this musical style (which is not necessarily a bad thing if you like this type of music, as I do).

I agree... it isn't a bad sound at all... but as far as this style goes I'll take the 1st 3 Caravan lp's all day long. The Canterbery scene or whatever it was known as. 

Saw your post on ELP and really... other than a few super nice radio songs, Karn Evil 9 is really their only standout to me. People tout on Tarkus but I really never got into it... just me. 

1st 3 King Crimson lp's for me as well... after that it's pick and choose... although Discipline is pretty solid start to finish imo.

• Agree 1

On 4/25/2023 at 8:05 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Nothing ground-breaking here, just one of many songs I like from a band that only had a modicum of success:

they had some hit singles. This band totally flew under my radar until his year actually. I think they are creative and grand 🙂 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, muppy said:

what a sweet cover #LOVE good day 2BD 🙂

Del is probably my fav living Bluegrass artist.  Sierra Hull is playing mandolin here- def my fav current mando player and a great voice.   Pretty sure that's Sierra's husband playing flat top slide guitar. His own band is incredibly tight and the lyrics to this one are great, and yup, they always dress like undertakers.:

Edited by redtail hawk

On 4/24/2023 at 12:07 AM, SinceThe70s said:

Under the guise of sharing Devo's Jocko *****...is it just me or is that Tawm Brady on the cover?

image.png.ff89a22e657c69f2d0f48af597885dc1.png

It's actually professional golfer of the era, Chi Chi Rodriguez. There was bags of golf headcovers that were manufactured in Kent Ohio (near Akron) at a factory that one (or more) of the band members worked at, that had that pic on the label.

image.png.565807a8a1e4cccd20cb88beffc8077f.png

The first album was revolutionary in establishing their pre-Idiocracy concept that humanity was in fact devolving due to distortions in selective genetic incentives favoring... well, idiots... but by the second album they really hit their musical stride and closed it with their magnum opus:

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

It's actually professional golfer of the era, Chi Chi Rodriguez. There was bags of golf headcovers that were manufactured in Kent Ohio (near Akron) at a factory that one (or more) of the band members worked at, that had that pic on the label.

That's hysterical. A much younger Chi Chi than I ever saw. I still see more TB in the pic than the older Chi Chi I remember.

• Like (+1) 1

So because my brain works goofy like this after so much Irish whiskey, I come off Devo and look toward what might be a diametric opposite on some axis, and arrived at... Bolt Thrower? One the cold, calculated and precise sterility of the laboratory, the other the chaotic viscera-strewn abbatoir of the battlefield. See it as if you can expect a stage-diver to land on your head at any moment:

One oddity of this band is the amount of bullet-belted babes among the expected sausagey fandom of the genre. Perhaps inspired by bassist Jo Bench, one of few females in death metal that needn't leverage the novelty of her gender. She was just the bass player in the band, period, as far as anyone was concerned, and delivered the mortar-crumbling bass rumble that epic breakdowns like the ones in For Victory required.

Edited by Ralonzo

An amazing "wall of sound" from a two-person band, "Ceremony East Coast", consisting of John and Sandra Fedowitz.

John and Sandra Fedowitz recently joined Oliver Ackermann's "A Place to Bury Strangers". Her drumming is masterful (we had a discussion about female drummers a while ago in this thread).

Edited by DrW

On 4/16/2023 at 6:41 AM, muppy said:

I strongly disagree. That would be Substitute. 

Unless you were being sarcastic. On the internet it is hard to tell..

Holy crap mane You blew into the music thread and posted  some clips of all sorts of flavors. I like it 🙂

I don't post  like that at all ever Ever EVER nope Nope NOPE! ...THAT was sarcasm ✔️

always good to hear another point of view. Cheers 🙂 m

I still think, 'I Need You', is their greatest song- not a joke, but I think that about a lot of their songs... especially when Keith Moon's driving.

Speaking of Moon, this had a beautiful remake:  

• Like (+1) 1