Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

The French always had a fondness of the psychedelics; anyone remember Gong?

Here "arte", a French TV channel, presents a concert by Austin's (TX) finest, the Black Angels, in St Malo.

• Like (+1) 2

An interesting math tidbit: If you add a second dimension to a line, you get a square. If you add a third dimension to square, you get a cube. Now, what do you get upon adding a forth dimension to a cube? Well, it is a tesseract. Googling "tesseract" also resulted in a band of this name (once mentioned before in this thread by Pine Barrens Mafia - I have no idea how I can alert him to this thread), and I quite like what they are doing. My daughter's comment when I told her the story, "They must be nerds".

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:37 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

greetings. I remember they closing the NYS freeway due to this event. I met 2 people who actually did attend. My one friend told me she described it in one word. Basically Poop. She was a kid and it was a very unsanitary place and that was her main memory. The other guy VERY interesting guy. I met him in bolivia circa 1977. This guy was a guitar virtuoso professional studio musican type player. His comments were about several bands  But he did say this song set the crowd on fire. As good as it sounds now it was even more intense live I'm guessing.

The other San Francisco band from the late 60s/early 70s: Quicksilver Messenger Service

If you only have time or patience for one song, try ""Worryin' Shoes" (starting at 44:55; the given time stamps are a bit off). The interplay between both guitarists, John Cipollina and Gary Duncan, is fascinating.

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And here some jam 1970 sessions of a true SF all-star line-up. Jerry Garcia (GD), Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukonen, Papa John Creach (all JA), David Freiberg (QMS/JA), John Cipollina, Nicky Hopkins (both QMS). There seems to be a question about the identity of the drummer; possibly, it is Mickey Hart (GD).

Edited by DrW

On 2/23/2024 at 9:10 PM, DrW said:

The French always had a fondness of the psychedelics; anyone remember Gong?

Thought you'd never ask. Remember when they almost had that hit single? Well, not so much, but in some parallel universe maybe? Everything else they did ended up somewhere between Zappa, the brown acid from Woodstock, Roy Wood, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Monty Python.

Edit: Except for that one punk record.

At least they kept it to English or French and not some proprietary thing like these guys who are looking more like a Tattooine cantina group these days (but with a much better rhythm section)

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/25/2024 at 5:36 PM, DrW said:

And here some jam 1970 sessions of a true SF all-star line-up. Jerry Garcia (GD), Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukonen, Papa John Creach (all JA), David Freiberg (QMS/JA), John Cipollina, Nicky Hopkins (both QMS). There seems to be a question about the identity of the drummer; possibly, it is Mickey Hart (GD).

there is a thread on OTW covering all star bands. That converges with what you have posted perfectly.  YES Indeed! great work 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

The A-Ha clip took me straight to the 80's and I found THIS. I vaguely remember this song but the video is for me Sultry and Artsy. As a visual person I found it very entertaining 🙂 BLAST from the PAST y'all

PS: for the record if you would like to tag someone to your post what you do is

put the pound sign then type the name, click the name and it will embed in yoour post

like this @Bill from NYC

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

The A-Ha clip took me straight to the 80's and I found THIS. I vaguely remember this song but the video is for me Sultry and Artsy. As a visual person I found it very entertaining 🙂 BLAST from the PAST y'all

PS: for the record if you would like to tag someone to your post what you do is

put the pound sign then type the name, click the name and it will embed in yoour post

like this @Bill from NYC

Those high notes are unbelievable, no?

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Those high notes are unbelievable, no?

he has voice game INDEED. 

Take on me
(Take on me)
Take me on
(Take on me)
I'll be gone
In a day or two

Edited by muppy

I saw this band live in Phoenix at a rock club small venue back in the 80's. I had never EVER seen an outfit as Dale Bozzio wore.  Plastic bracups?

whoaaaa lol. They were Great. I mean look at her. She is a rock and roll chick bad ass all the way. Husband is the drummer Terry.

Edited by muppy

I swear the songs that don't quite make the cut on a Mark Knopfler album other than as bonus tracks are still some of the most well written and played songs to be heard.  I just stumbled across another one.

19 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Thought you'd never ask. Remember when they almost had that hit single? Well, not so much, but in some parallel universe maybe? Everything else they did ended up somewhere between Zappa, the brown acid from Woodstock, Roy Wood, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Monty Python.

Edit: Except for that one punk record.

At least they kept it to English or French and not some proprietary thing like these guys who are looking more like a Tattooine cantina group these days (but with a much better rhythm section)

I always found Magma highly overrated (although I admit that their album title "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh" easily beats "Häagen-Dazs" and "Blue Öyster Cult" in the odd spelling competition). However, I like Gong's "camembert electrique". My favorite song: "Tropical Fish: Selene".

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BritBill said:

"The Guns Of Brixton" is my favorite Clash song. Here are two interesting covers by Lisa Oliferova...

...and by Rupa & The April Fishes.

Edited by DrW
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrW said:

I always found Magma highly overrated (although I admit that their album title "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh" easily beats "Häagen-Dazs" and "Blue Öyster Cult" in the odd spelling competition). However, I like Gong's "camembert electrique". My favorite song: "Tropical Fish: Selene".

I gotta give at least rudimentary props to a band Jello Biafra refers to as "the most violent band in the world," even beyond inventing a language to sing in. I'll generally give a platter a few spins to try to digest it, and if it's too dense I quite. Many Magmas are on that inaccessible side of the knife edge but others like Üdü Ẁüdü focused in. Yeah, weird as af band.

Gong, I arrived from the other direction, starting with their most fully-formed psychedic opus "You" (got it on 8-track from that one warehouse on Harlem Rd... think it was 10 cents). Being an essential, top-tier prog album of the ages is a thing; Daevid Allen reined in his goofballness and Gilli's cringe to embrace the tourniquet tightness of the band and especially Moerlen and Howlett, not to minimize Hillage and Malherbe with some crushing riff interludes, particularly side 2 (once I got the platter). It was like Hawkwind with something other than 4/4 rhythm and guys who weren't so tripping that they could actually play at the absolute highest level. That album I'll always have fond memories of being out in the fields with the 8-track blasting from the car, climbing trees and picking cherries (no metaphor, that actually happened).

Edit: Continuing the story because I'm as drunk as bored. @DrW just skip to 33:20 :)

I came to learn this was third of a trilogy, and the next I was to acquire was the first - Radio Gnome Invisible. I was... taken aback by how absolutely freakin' weird it was, yet somehow captivated. Years went by and I saw at some obscure store (probably Home Of The Hits) Angel's Egg. The missing piece, the holy grail. And in my recollection it did NOT disappoint. It was the most agressive and grabby in my view. Although these guys were still freakin mutants.

(is it normal to not blink for that long?)

A weird progression to be sure, and with the curse of way too much listened to, the Gong trilogy seems to track most closely (IMO) with the Foxx Ultravox epoch going from most accessible, to most aggressive, to most accomplished.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade. While this does not qualify as entry in the "best all-star" thread, it would contribute to a "kids of all-stars" thread: Sean Ono Lennon on guitar and Harry Waters (son of Roger) on keyboards.

The band that defined "Americana" - The Band (although four of them were Canadians). Sadly, only one of them is still alive, Garth Hudson (organ, accordion, sax), the oldest member of the band. In the beginning (1961) Garth was paid $10 more per week for giving music lessons to the other band members. Supposedly, this was done to satisfy his parents, who could claim their son was a music teacher instead of a member of a rock'n'roll band.

• Thank you (+1) 1

After posting Dub Be Good To Me by Beats International it got me thinking about musical links. Dub Be Good To Me was co-written by Norman Cook. Cook who was a member of The Housemartins before Beats International and after that he re-invented himself as disco biscuit hero Fatboy Slim. 

An added bonus of of Fatboy Slim is Christopher Walken in this video.

And then, also in The Housemartins was Paul Heaton (who I've been asked if I am 2 times in my 44 years on this planet) who went on to form The Beautiful South with Jacqui Abbott.

Bowery Ballroom ******'s

🙂

So impressed with all you do
Tried so hard to be like you
Flew too high and burnt the wing
Lost my faith in everything

Lick around divine debris
Taste the wealth of hate in me
Shedding skin, succumb defeat
This machine is obsolete

Made the choice to go away
Drink the fountain of decay
Tear a hole exquisite red
***** the rest and stab it dead

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore
Too ***** up to care anymore
Poisoned to my rotten core

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore
Poisoned to my rotten core

In the back off the side and far away
Is a place where I hide, where I stay
Tried to say, tried to ask, I needed to
All alone by myself, where were you?

How could I ever think it's funny how
Everything that swore it wouldn't change, is different now
Just like you would always say, we'll make it through
Then my head fell apart and where were you?

How could I ever think, it's funny how
Everything you swore would never change, is different now
Like you said, you and me make it through
Didn't quite, fell apart, where the ***** were you?

• Awesome! (+1) 1