NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

But the high lasts for an hour or two.

Marijuana has many chemical components. Canabidol, or CBD, is where many of the medicinal benefits come from but you can't get a buzz from it.

Unless you are a constant smoker (all day every) the buzz should last 3 or 4 hours. Or you are buying dirt weed.

the more you smoke the less you feel it. It's like "you can only get so drunk". Ever hear the term I drank myself sober?

Then call it what it is. It's not an attempt to legalize mj for medicine. It's an attempt to legalize it for recreation.

BTW, the BFD is people that just wanna get high often do so at the expense of others. Why not just legalize cocaine, while we are at it? Opium? MDMA? All come from natural sources. What's the BFD?

BTW You should blame the individual for over use and not the drug.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. I would add there are some people who strongly believe cannabis is an anti-inflammatory, pain/stress reliever and sleep aid. Without the harmful effects on the body like alcohol and no hangover the next morning.

I'm in the camp that thinks players only smoke at night and on off days.

If they smoke after games and on days off (in states where it is currently legal) I don't see a problem with it. There are players that smoke before games....that's where I'm confused. It's a pain reliever, mellowing agent in a sport that requires cat-like reflexes.

Why do players drink? Drinking makes you react slow. I would bet 25% of players are drunk on gamedays.

Good attempt.

If they smoke after games and on days off (in states where it is currently legal) I don't see a problem with it. There are players that smoke before games....that's where I'm confused. It's a pain reliever, mellowing agent in a sport that requires cat-like reflexes.

Good attempt.

Not all weed is a mellowing agent.

You don't stay high for hours.

You don't know much about this. That's not a criticism.

Good attempt? I guess you're arguing players are more disciplined with alcohol than weed.

i'm sure just to wind down. i've actually had a discussion with some athletes about this, and it was described to me that when you fly back after games at a weird hour, it's nice to smoke to relax and help go to bed. they actually have the option of getting ambien from the team, but that's not for everyone either. that's the only thing i can add to this conversation.

We smoke it cause we like the feeling, the same reason we drink. Bottom line is there is a time and place for it. Not sure all players are responsible enough to do that

i actually completely agree with buffalobud420 on this one.

Let me say this: I have friends that smoke pot and know I don't and they are still good friends. I sense from some of the responses here that some of you guys can't fathom how someone chose not to smoke because it was illegal when I was younger (and still is). If I can't be part of your "club" or clique, I'm sorry you feel that way. Talk about prejudice.

Let me say this: I have friends that smoke pot and know I don't and they are still good friends. I sense from some of the responses here that some of you guys can't fathom how someone chose not to smoke because it was illegal when I was younger (and still is). If I can't be part of your "club" or clique, I'm sorry you feel that way. Talk about prejudice.

That's not it at all. No pot smoker cares or not if you do it or not. It's your ignorance about the subject. Ignorance regardless of topic is annoying.

So I bet you never drank a sip of alcohol when you were a teenager....because it was illegal.

That's not it at all. No pot smoker cares or not if you do it or not. It's your ignorance about the subject. Ignorance regardless of topic is annoying.

So I bet you never drank a sip of alcohol when you were a teenager....because it was illegal.

See? That's the type of response I was referring to..."You must be dumb and ignorant because no one does pot before games. Do your research Fergy you ignorant dope!" http://nypost.com/2016/09/18/i-played-stoned-some-nfl-players-love-getting-high-before-kickoff/amp/

When a rule is in place and some choose to use weed even though the employer bans it, how is discussing that ignorant? When someone breaks the law, is it ignorance to point this out? Just trying to decipher your logic calling someone ignorant.

...why do NFL guys smoke it?

Are they that stressed out? Don't they want to be more upbeat and on edge as a player?

I haven't smoked it (more of a beer guy), but the effects of pot (from what others have said) is contrary to what NFL players should be looking for in terms of their approach to the game (relaxed vs detail oriented). Am I wrong?

there are many physical and cognitive reasons to use mj . Its not for everyone, but many very very successful and unsuccessful people use the stuff for many multiple reasons.

The only way to know is to try it.. But many newer users don't use it correctly and think getting themselves stoned to the bejesus is the way to go. Its really not

Do a little research. The whole reason marijuana was made illegal in 1937 was because black and Mexican people smoked the stuff. The worry was white kids would start too.

Yep. In fact at the time the nomenclature was changed from 'canabis' to 'marihuana' to make it sound foreign and dirty.

As far as 'mellow', different strains have different effects. Some stuff parks you on the couch, and other stuff makes you clean the entire house.

i'm sure just to wind down. i've actually had a discussion with some athletes about this, and it was described to me that when you fly back after games at a weird hour, it's nice to smoke to relax and help go to bed. they actually have the option of getting ambien from the team, but that's not for everyone either. that's the only thing i can add to this conversation.

i actually completely agree with buffalobud420 on this one.

Sorry, off topic here...

Based on your "handles" I assume that you two are related in a carnal sense. Teef is the pitcher and Teeflebees is the catcher?

Don't break your hand patting yourself on the back.

there are many physical and cognitive reasons to use mj . Its not for everyone, but many very very successful and unsuccessful people use the stuff for many multiple reasons.

The only way to know is to try it.. But many newer users don't use it correctly and think getting themselves stoned to the bejesus is the way to go. Its really not

It's like learning to appreciate fine scotch by guzzling the entire bottle at once.

Then call it what it is. It's not an attempt to legalize mj for medicine. It's an attempt to legalize it for recreation.

BTW, the BFD is people that just wanna get high often do so at the expense of others. Why not just legalize cocaine, while we are at it? Opium? MDMA? All come from natural sources. What's the BFD?

C'mon Sig. That's the same lame argument they use against gay marriage.

Marijuana is not at the level of coke or meth or other more dangerous drugs. The only reason it's even on Schedule I is because of Nixon targeted pot smoking college kids when they were protesting the Vietnam War.

See? That's the type of response I was referring to..."You must be dumb and ignorant because no one does pot before games. Do your research Fergy you ignorant dope!" http://nypost.com/2016/09/18/i-played-stoned-some-nfl-players-love-getting-high-before-kickoff/amp/

When a rule is in place and some choose to use weed even though the employer bans it, how is discussing that ignorant? When someone breaks the law, is it ignorance to point this out? Just trying to decipher your logic calling someone ignorant.

Except that's not what I said. I never called you dumb or ignorant. I specifically said you were ignorant on this topic which you are. Ignorant means lacking knowledge and I didn't say in general....specifically this topic.

Also this statement contradicts your OP.

NFL games I played stoned were some of the best games I ever played. Cannabis cements your surroundings, he says. A lot of people say theyre useless when they smoke weed. But hell, I played NFL games [while stoned], dude. My performances were solid and I felt really good after.

So you found one player who admitted getting stoned before games. He's not high the entire game unless he's doing it on the sidelines. Yeah, there's probably more just like there are players high on pills or coke....

Also former Bills players said they could smell alcohol on Jim Kelly's breath in the huddle during some games....

Don't be naive thinking players aren't drinking alcohol before games too....

Sorry, off topic here...

Based on your "handles" I assume that you two are related in a carnal sense. Teef is the pitcher and Teeflebees is the catcher?

My knees hurt too much to be a catcher.

If you are going to legalize drugs, you should legalize killing drug dealers.

How's it fair that someone gets to hook my kid, or my family, on drugs, and then run and hide behind the police from me? Drug dealer gets rich today. I spend 50 years, the rest of my life, dealing with relapses, and the health effects of drug use like heart attack and stroke.
Punk moves like that sound like how the Patriots play football.

Edited by r.harvey