Rebuild Mode

I think the defense may improve simply by more rational coaching and the personnel appears better suited to a 4-3.

I don't see this team tanking. Another mediocrity is perhaps most likely. Anyway, I prefer to hope they play well.

If they play dreadfully, there's always two first rounders in a supposedly qb rich draft.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing I do every year, regret buying NFL Sunday ticket while enjoying a couple drinks.

So, watch other teams that you can't watch on local tv because your local station airs the Jests vs Cleveland ... Geez, unless the Bills are DOA beginning on opening day, they should be interesting for a couple of months...

scott, every year team lose productive players that they'd prefer to keep. sometimes it turns out fine, other times it's a loss. nothing i said is earth shattering, but you seem not to grasp it. i would have preferred to keep gilmore too, but with the state of the cap and the cost, it wasn't going to happen. maybe white fills in perfectly...who knows. i just don't think the bills are throwing guys to the street because they don't want to pay like you're implying. i bet when byrd left you were letting everyone know how stupid it was, and how you knew better. how did that work out. veterans leaving and rookies taking their place is part of the game. we're in year 1 of a brand new regime. just because you don't understand the plan doesn't mean there is one. i have no idea why you have trouble getting this.

There is always a plan teef. Do you think Greggo, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone and Rex didn't have plans? It's my opinion that the Bills/McDermott regime are approaching the middle of the ring with their hands down.........and you know what happens to your plan when you get punched in the face?

Rookie HC Greggo thought he was going to have a historically great defense and an offseason of hype about his plan and process was entirely flushed 2 quarters into the first game of the season. :lol: He didn't even make it to season two before his defense was taken away from him(LeBeau) and Donahoe re-instituted "Fat Guys".

To me, it's not about giving McDermott the benefit of the doubt........it's about us as fans having knowledge of the mistakes that have been made in the past and not wanting to see them repeated.

The only HC they've hired since Wade that has been given MORE talent to start his new regime than the previously fired HC was Rex Ryan......and even that was poorly handled as they spent like kids in a candy store and addressed neither of their STATED top 2 needs(big target WR and NT). Who hires a new coach and then allows him to take LESS talent to battle than the deposed guy? The Bills, of course.

Edited by #BADOL

The thing is, it's not the decisions themselves it's the lack of foresight and advance planning. What's predictable about the Bills is that they replace players on the fly, not a year or two in advance like quality organizations. The departures of Woods, Gilmore and MG could've been foreseen well in advance of this offseason (and I don't buy that Darby was drafted to be Gilmore's replacement - he wasn't; White was). The Bills continue to operate year to year and that's why they lack depth and rely on luck (which has never worked for them).

The thing is, it's not the decisions themselves it's the lack of foresight and advance planning. What's predictable about the Bills is that they replace players on the fly, not a year or two in advance like quality organizations. The departures of Woods, Gilmore and MG could've been foreseen well in advance of this offseason (and I don't buy that Darby was drafted to be Gilmore's replacement - he wasn't; White was). The Bills continue to operate year to year and that's why they lack depth and rely on luck (which has never worked for them).

No doubt.......and apologists would point out that all the coaching changes are at fault for always having to re-tool and then replace instead of build upon.

But the new guys make there share of real-time mistakes that are just repeats of previous regime mistakes.

The only regime in the drought that took over a totally bottomed out squad was Buddy/Gailey.........Donahoe bottomed his team out after hiring Greggo by giving the roster a scalp deep haircut in overreaction to serious cap issues(see Washington, Ted).

The rest of these guys took over rosters that could have been taken up a notch to help the new coach win.

But, in part because of a lack of leadership/authority/quality in the personnel department......many of these coaches have been allowed to make self destructive decisions on personnel matters in their first two years which have greatly undermined them.

McDermott has a lot of authority on personnel. He owns this roster. He drafted these guys using his formerly middling-drafting teams board and he thinks he can coach everyone up. Doesn't usually work that way. We shall see.

Yep.

No **** they have a plan. Im Skeptical based on the moves or lack there of I've seen them make this offseason.

Injuries are going to hit and when it does the team will be losing on a consistent basis and another 6 or 7 win season and McDermott looking like just another guy.

Would you have paid Gilmore to be the 2nd highest paid corner in the NFL?

You would have paid Woods $8 million a year?

No doubt.......and apologists would point out that all the coaching changes are at fault for always having to re-tool and then replace instead of build upon.

But the new guys make there share of real-time mistakes that are just repeats of previous regime mistakes.

The only regime in the drought that took over a totally bottomed out squad was Buddy/Gailey.........Donahoe bottomed his team out after hiring Greggo by giving the roster a scalp deep haircut in overreaction to serious cap issues(see Washington, Ted).

The rest of these guys took over rosters that could have been taken up a notch to help the new coach win.

But, in part because of a lack of leadership/authority/quality in the personnel department......many of these coaches have been allowed to make self destructive decisions on personnel matters in their first two years which have greatly undermined them.

McDermott has a lot of authority on personnel. He owns this roster. He drafted these guys using his formerly middling-drafting teams board and he thinks he can coach everyone up. Doesn't usually work that way. We shall see.

And just to play this out - this issue isn't just that they let MG leave without shoring up their RB depth a year or two ago. MG should've been retained as a potential replacement for Shady, who many of us realize will not be here for more than another year or two max. THAT is where the mistake repeated itself this offseason, among other examples. It was a repeat of failing to retain Hogan who, while not amazing, could've handcuffed (i) Sammy's predictable injury-plagued 2016, and (ii) the loss of Woods this past offseason.

The Bills cannot afford to let quality young players leave over a few hundred thousand dollars in value disagreement. Or if that's how they're going to be operating, they need to see those departures coming 2-3 years in advance instead of trying to plug leaks on the fly, during the draft.

It's pretty clear that despite fan's desires, the Bills are again in rebuild mode now. Lost more than they gained in FA. Drafted replacements largely. New everything, coaches, schemes, skill position players, etc. Don't have the QB yet although TT is very good. In the NFL, no QB, no playoffs, no media coverage, no interest outside of the local area; no great QB, no deep run in playoffs. So, what to do? Blind loyalty?

I called DTV with the intent of haggling my way to lower the cost for the umpteenth time. know what I did? cancelled the Ticket. The media thinks the Bills suck and cover the team as a suck team. Hard to watch that, although its hard to argue with the consensus. The best case this year is TT goes down, they go 4-12 and draft Sam Darnold, which anyone with a brain knows is the best case. Who wants to watch that happen? Not me. So I think a little break is in order, watch the highlight shows, etc., maybe travel to the Carolina game mainly to see friends. Thats about it.

How will you get through the rebuild??

Disagree

The Bills cannot afford to let quality young players leave over a few hundred thousand dollars in value disagreement. Or if that's how they're going to be operating, they need to see those departures coming 2-3 years in advance instead of trying to plug leaks on the fly, during the draft.

And now that there is a new regime in place, maybe we'll see that. We all know that NFL FO types don't always have love for the previous regime's players.

This is another "let's see how it all plays out", for me...

Would you have paid Gilmore to be the 2nd highest paid corner in the NFL?

You would have paid Woods $8 million a year?

When you draft a CB (or any other player) in the top 20 your dream scenario is that he plays his way into being valued in the top 5 of his position by one of the top 5 organizations in the league. If you don't want to pay a guy like Gilmore, don't waste a premium draft pick on him in the first place, and/or use the fourth round pick they pissed away on a project QB to draft a potential replacement.

By the way, the Panthers did something similar, they let Norman walk and waited until that draft to try to replace him, and it was a disaster.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

i dunno - we were 7-9 a year ago. Our highest paid player barely played, and didn't play well. Our highly drafted WR barely played. Starting safety almost died. 1st round pick barely played, 2nd rounder didn't play at all. Had a terrible lazy HC and AHC/DC. Why are we so much worse?

Agree with everything

So, our offense, which was pretty good, remained largely intact and we lost a couple players off a terrible defense, as well as lost a joke of a coaching staff......yet we are in a "clear rebuild".

LOL......fans.

i dunno - we were 7-9 a year ago. Our highest paid player barely played, and didn't play well. Our highly drafted WR barely played. Starting safety almost died. 1st round pick barely played, 2nd rounder didn't play at all. Had a terrible lazy HC and AHC/DC. Why are we so much worse?

Mic drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you draft a CB (or any other player) in the top 20 your dream scenario is that he plays his way into being valued in the top 5 of his position by one of the top 5 organizations in the league. If you don't want to pay a guy like Gilmore, don't waste a premium draft pick on him in the first place, and/or use the fourth round pick they pissed away on a project QB to draft a potential replacement.

By the way, the Panthers did something similar, they let Norman walk and waited until that draft to try to replace him, and it was a disaster.

And the GM who abruptly removed the tag from Norman......making him a free agent in an apparent fit of anger because he wouldn't re-up for less without a struggle.......Gettelman.......just got hisass FIRED. :lol: