Rebuild Mode

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you draft a CB (or any other player) in the top 20 your dream scenario is that he plays his way into being valued in the top 5 of his position by one of the top 5 organizations in the league. If you don't want to pay a guy like Gilmore, don't waste a premium draft pick on him in the first place, and/or use the fourth round pick they pissed away on a project QB to draft a potential replacement.

By the way, the Panthers did something similar, they let Norman walk and waited until that draft to try to replace him, and it was a disaster.

So if the guy doesn't play like an elite corner, you still pay him that much? So if a guy is just good, pay him elite? There isn't a salary cap right?

Gilmore is replaced by a 1st round talent who is ready to play now. Norman was replaced by a trio of Robert McClain, rookie James Bradberry, and Bene Benwikere. You see a difference?

If you don't want to pay a good player elite money then you shouldn't draft him in the first LOL. I guess you don't believe paying someone at their value...just over pay just because they were a top 20 pick? Jesus.

My two favorite moments in recent Bills history:

Pittsburgh game with Fitz

Flutie's first year

Both started similar to this one. And it's a lot better than high hopes then disapointment. So yeah, I'm pumped.

That 1998 team brought a really good defense over from the year before.........the Bills don't have that but if Dareus and Watkins play to their potential they could cover up a lot of weaknesses.

Those two are potential top 20 in the NFL players who right now are considered busts by the national media.

There is potential for improvement at a number of positions.........which is why it's so frustrating that they seem to be not all-in on this season.

NOBODY wants to see 6-7 wins again and nobody wants to watch Wood, Incognito, Shady, Lorax, Clay and Kyle play thru a 4-12 season because of an injury or two.

Nothing less interesting than watching players near the end go thru the motions.

Rebuild or do not rebuild.

There is still time for improvements to depth so let's hope they get it done despite "liking where they are at!".

Simply amazing they made that mistake again.

You couldn't keep a solid back in a run focused offense who as you said, could replace McCoy for an extra million?

Makes me skeptical of McDermott.

Good call. Next time we have a good player, pay them elite money. He doesn't have to be elite, you must over pay.

Hopefully Darby and White both become good so we can pay both of them elite money. They don't have to be elite either...open up that wallet.

Edited by Teeflebees

Good call. Next time we have a good player, pay them elite money. He doesn't have to be elite, you must over pay.

Hopefully Darby and White both become good so we can pay both of them elite money. They don't have to be elite either...open up that wallet.

That goes back to draft philosophy.

If you don't value the position........don't use early picks on it.

Drafting players at positions you won't pay market value too when they pan out(and you don't have a replacement for) is why the half the Bills 1st round picks in their history have been RB's and DB's.

It's cherry picking selecting those positions early..........they are relatively easy evaluations.........but if you gotta' draft 3 RB's in round 1 over a 6-7 year period.........and all of them had produced for the most part........you might as well have taken bigger swings even if you WHIFFED on QB's or DE's.

Edited by #BADOL

That goes back to draft philosophy.

If you don't value the position........don't use early picks on it.

Drafting players at positions you won't pay market value too when they pan out(and you don't have a replacement for) is why the half the Bills 1st round picks in their history have been RB's and DB's.

It's cherry picking selecting those positions early..........they are relatively easy evaluations.........but if you gotta' draft 3 RB's in round 1 over a 6-7 year period.........and all of them had produced for the most part........you might as well have taken bigger swings even if you WHIFFED on QB's or DE's.

Gilmore was drafted by another coaching staff. We have a different defensive philosophy.

Gilmore is good but not elite. I wanted to keep him but not at his salary. I put him around Dre Kirkpatrick level who signed at extension of about $4 million less.

Cordy Glenn is one of the highest paid LT in the league and he's earned it. No problem with that contract.

Not to mention that Gilmore was one of the most criticized Bills who now was signed to an elite contract with the Pats so now he's worth it??? This board wanted him benched last year.

It's pretty clear that despite fan's desires, the Bills are again in rebuild mode now. Lost more than they gained in FA. Drafted replacements largely. New everything, coaches, schemes, skill position players, etc. Don't have the QB yet although TT is very good. In the NFL, no QB, no playoffs, no media coverage, no interest outside of the local area; no great QB, no deep run in playoffs. So, what to do? Blind loyalty?

I called DTV with the intent of haggling my way to lower the cost for the umpteenth time. know what I did? cancelled the Ticket. The media thinks the Bills suck and cover the team as a suck team. Hard to watch that, although its hard to argue with the consensus. The best case this year is TT goes down, they go 4-12 and draft Sam Darnold, which anyone with a brain knows is the best case. Who wants to watch that happen? Not me. So I think a little break is in order, watch the highlight shows, etc., maybe travel to the Carolina game mainly to see friends. Thats about it.

How will you get through the rebuild??

I will get through the rebuild by watching the playoffs this year, as well as plenty of regular season games Debbie.

Exactly my point. Well said.

The half assing has been going on all offseason.

Contrast what the Bills are doing with what the struggling NY Giants organization did when they replaced Coughlin with another McNobody.

They LOADED UP........a new coach only gets one chance to make a first impression and to paraphrase a lockerroom saying "(players) respect winners".

McAdoo seems like a dweeb.......but he won 11 games has his teams ear now.

His coaching ability isn't what his players are worrying about the way it so often is with Bills coaches after failed starts.

Could Coughlin have won with that talent?

Maybe.......but next to having a great QB(which Eli is not).....having a respected HC and continuity with he and his staff is the second most important aspect of organization building.

Jmcraig44: How will I get through the rebuild year? By taking one game at a time. By appreciating the fact that McD is not Wrecks.

By the fact that it's a new year = new hope.By enjoying Incognito plow the road. By enjoying one of the best running offenses in the

NFL. By enjoying watching Kyle play another season for us. By watching our rookies and free agents to see how well they play.

No, I don't expect them to make the playoffs. But it will be good to see the season start, as well as see how it unfolds.

Gilmore was drafted by another coaching staff. We have a different defensive philosophy.

Gilmore is good but not elite. I wanted to keep him but not at his salary. I put him around Dre Kirkpatrick level who signed at extension of about $4 million less.

Cordy Glenn is one of the highest paid LT in the league and he's earned it. No problem with that contract.

Not to mention that Gilmore was one of the most criticized Bills who now was signed to an elite contract with the Pats so now he's worth it??? This board wanted him benched last year.

Losing Gilmore was only part of the problem created by doing so.

Not having a replacement and having to draft that replacement in round 1 was what compounded the issue.

Bills have a long history of letting CB's go and then soon after drafting their replacement early.......going back to Nate Odomes/Jeff Burris/Thomas Smith departures etc..

They actually had a pretty successful run of not drafting busts after letting first round CB's walk..........but then they drafted Leodis to replace Nate Clements.

6 seasons into his career McKelvin finally had his first not-awful full season.

Everyone wanted to see Nate go rather than pay him too.........then the Bills went 5+ years where they were $30M below the salary cap(pre-rollover) every year........but you know.......Nate only had one outstanding season in SF......his best as a pro........ and was just a good starter after that for many years.

Point is.......saving money is only good if it doesn't cost you on the field AND is spent wisely later.

Maybe they make good use of Gilmore's money........or maybe they do not........but counting letting him go for nothing as a win of some sort is wrong.

You can't look to the NY Giants for guidance on how to do it... that's not to be duplicated.

Yeah.......cuz that was like "historic" for a bad team to turn it around and make the playoffs.

Happens every year pretty much......but.........can't be duplicated. :doh:

Man some of you guys are resigned to perpetual mediocrity.

It's just constant excuse making for the organization.

The Jets did something similar in 2015 with first year head coach Bowles to what the Giants did last year with first year head coach McAdoo in stacking talent for a first year head coach. Except the Giants have Eli Manning and the Jets had Fitzy.

I don't see any similarities between the Bills and Giants situations. McAdoo is an offensive guy, he had a capable QB and one of the premiere WR's in the game. That wasn't exactly a shock that they won games. The SS pick was too easy.

The Bills have a zone DC, a RB at QB, an oft injured WR/TE and a bunch of role players. I would have liked to see them pay MG and spend the rest of the FA dollars just for the hope of having a more entertaining season but isn't this some of the foresight that I had been slamming Whaley on?

They kept TT, that allows the team a chance to do something if everything else goes right. Chances are it won't, and when it doesn't they will be better off next season. You guys are mad they didn't pay a press corner top dollars to sit in zone? Gilmore coming up to make tackles is not worth elite money.

It's easy to say add the best available players but at some point you need to step back and look at this roster and come up with a plan to fix it. We yelled at Whaley for patching holes and never having a plan, like not drafting a WR2 fully knowing that Woods would be gone in a year. Even with Watkins on the table. Etc etc etc.

In short it's easy to spend the money now and hope you go on a magical run, it's much harder to accept that you're not a magician and this roster needs some long term fixing.

Edited by Commonsense

with 2 or maybe 3 exceptions every year, Vegas picks the 12 playoff teams on the nuts every single year. Not because Vegas is smart, its just that handicapping the NFL is pretty easy: from training camp to game day, the rules are geared towards Offense-first, top QBs, stable franchises, stable coaching, top GM leadership and did I say top 10 QBs? Got all of those, you're probably in. Missing a couple of them, you are out.

It's not the NFL, it's the N.Q.L. (Nat'l Quarterback League) The media follows only major markets and flashy QBs,when you spend 3/1/2 hours to see 22 minutes of action, and your franchise has none of the attributes that allow for playoff success or media attention, why spend the time and energy.

Maybe the new mgt. team is the answer, could be, hope so, but I'll dial back for a couple years and see if they can turn it around. I am a 40+ year Bills fan, but not sure the NFL as currently structured, provides a economic/media/market environment for 3rd tier city franchises to even approach the Super Bowl. We shall see.

This statement does not make sense. Please explain.

We lose that first Jets game and this board will make Trumps crying look like child's play.

I wouldn't count the second game. the team quit. Lose the first game this year, the season is done before it even started.

This statement does not make sense. Please explain.

I think the simple explanation is that the NFL's business model allows for more profitable teams to be successful. Basically, there is a correlation between marketability and team success. Seems like good business practice for an entertainment corporation.

Moreover, the Bills, as a team in a 3rd tier city without any star players, are not very marketable to the masses and, hence, do not produce the highest possible profits for the NFL. Therefore, it is not advantageous for maximizing league profits for the Bills to win.

I think that's what he is getting at (aside from noting the team's mismanagement and so on).

It's pretty clear that despite fan's desires, the Bills are again in rebuild mode now. Lost more than they gained in FA. Drafted replacements largely. New everything, coaches, schemes, skill position players, etc. Don't have the QB yet although TT is very good. In the NFL, no QB, no playoffs, no media coverage, no interest outside of the local area; no great QB, no deep run in playoffs. So, what to do? Blind loyalty?

I called DTV with the intent of haggling my way to lower the cost for the umpteenth time. know what I did? cancelled the Ticket. The media thinks the Bills suck and cover the team as a suck team. Hard to watch that, although its hard to argue with the consensus. The best case this year is TT goes down, they go 4-12 and draft Sam Darnold, which anyone with a brain knows is the best case. Who wants to watch that happen? Not me. So I think a little break is in order, watch the highlight shows, etc., maybe travel to the Carolina game mainly to see friends. Thats about it.

How will you get through the rebuild??

Just try to enjoy the games they win. It's fun to watch and be with friends. Shrug off the loses.