Why protect Yates?

I don't think its about protecting against a prolonged or season-ending injury, it's having a guy with experience to fill in for a game or two and hopefully get a win.

More than that, it's also about filling in for a few drives or a 4th qtr of a game.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Peterman is gonna get more then his share of snaps to show what he can do.

I think there is something to be said about veteran presense......Tyrod goes in as the starter but you have to figure out what you do if the worst happens.....and leaving it to a rook only makes sense if you are playing for next years draft selection.

I think Peterman is gonna get more then his share of snaps to show what he can do.

I think there is something to be said about veteran presense......Tyrod goes in as the starter but you have to figure out what you do if the worst happens.....and leaving it to a rook only makes sense if you are playing for next years draft selection.

Is it better to have a guy who has shown years of sucking or one who may suck but hasn't had a chance to show it?

I'd go with the rookie all day over the proven sucker. But these coaches are all robots. It takes one coach to do the wildcat and then they all do it.

I've been preaching (maybe crusading) in other threads as to why you would waste a roster spot on Yates. Here are my reasons:

- If he is playing for an extended period you are losing anyways

- You miss the chance to get a look at Peterman

- You have one less pit to use elsewhere on the roster

- If cut you can probably call him on any given Monday and add him back

- Is he really better than Kaep, RG, Shaun Hill, Whitehurst, Or Ponder

We keep hearing that "the guy knows the offense." I guess that's a reason to bring him to camp but someone please convince me that he deserves a roster spot. Would the team be any worse with Peterman taking snaps than Yates? I'd rather win 3 games with the rookie than 3 games with a guy in his 30's. What am I missing (other than NFL teams like certain guys because they have played in games before)? Playing in games and being bad shouldn't be a prerequisite for a future job.

In order:

- You don't know that they're losing. T.J. Yates has a similar skillset as Tyrod and already knows the offensive system. Generally, ANY backup playing for an extended period is a losing proposition.

- Peterman will get his looks in training camp, and you have to have 3 QB's for the season to make sure are there enough guys to distribute the ball to all receivers. He's not ready to be a starting QB right now. Lot's of work to do to get there.

- One less position for what? QB is the most important position on the roster.

- Sure you can cut him and bring him back, but he NEEDS offseason reps to be the backup.

- Kaepernick hasn't done anything in 3 years and is a distraction. RGIII is pretty much washed up as well not having a good season in 4 years. Shaun Hill is 37 years old. Might as well throw Kyle Orton's name back out there. Whitehurst is called "Clipboard Jesus" for a reason. That's really his job.

For me it's pretty simple. T.J. Yates is the most ready if he needs to take over the offense and takes the least amount of effort to get there. Peterman is NOT ready and isn't going to just magically be ready if you give him reps as the #2. The Yates play was smart IMO.

Is it better to have a guy who has shown years of sucking or one who may suck but hasn't had a chance to show it?

I'd go with the rookie all day over the proven sucker. But these coaches are all robots. It takes one coach to do the wildcat and then they all do it.

Yates is awful. Hopefully he's just a body for camp and the preseason. If Taylor is hurt I would rather see Peterman play. Also if Taylor were to get hurt and miss an extended period I don't think it'd be difficult to re-sign Yates.

I think it depends on how you view the team. If you think this team is ready to make the playoffs, then you want some insurance at backup QB. Peterman has yet to take a snap in the NFL.

If you view this team as 8-8 if everything goes as well, then I agree, why waste a roster spot on Yates?

No, it's blackballing and we can go there. Please feel free to put them side-by-side and make the case. Before I hear "Yates won a playoff game," Kaep almost won a Super Bowl. He had 16 TDs and 4 INTs last year. Yates on a roster doesn't mean that people think that he's better than Kaep because there is something called a contract in the NFL. If Kaep would play for 1 year and $815k he'd be in the league probably (despite the fact that owners don't want him there).

I can't believe that this derailed into a Kaepernick conversation and I reallly can't believe that people actually think that TJ Yates is better than him!!

My guess is that K is probably asking for too much moola. Re: Yates - let's just relax & see what unfolds. BTW we just picked up a QB. Probably just a camp arm but if Yates fails, perhaps we go with two QBs with the new guy on the practice squad.

Yep, and no one has convinced me otherwise. Everyone just keeps going back to "he's played before in Dennison's offense." So has Matt Leinart.

Again, TT got the benefit of the doubt for playing in Dennison's offense. Why not Yates?

Isn't this all because another OSU QB flamed out?

Again, TT got the benefit of the doubt for playing in Dennison's offense. Why not Yates?

No, it's because Yates is a 30 year-old that's sucked. If you go back, you will see that this conversation started before Cardale got traded. You haven't been here too long but I have a longstanding disdain for wasting roster spots on guys that have no upside (I've been wrong before). If you needed Yates you could sign him back the next day. I don't see the team being any better with him playing than Peterman. I don't see a difference in wins or losses. So his value is that he's played? Big deal

Tyrod was also a former conference player of the year and a guy that had a massive college career. His size led him to be drafted later. When in Baltimore he was largely thought of as "an intriguing young option." There are guys like that every year (Trevor Siemian last year). That's not who TJ Yates is. He's a guy with a terrible resume that is familiar with the system. So what?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kirby is one if he best posters on this board. That said, we disagree completely on Tyrod. He likes him a lot, I don't think he's good enough as a starter.

That said, TT is 10 times the qb of Yates. He has been in those offense and has shown nothing. His best characteristic is knowing the playbook. If he ever has to play, I'm betting on our opponent.

Kirby is one if he best posters on this board. That said, we disagree completely on Tyrod. He likes him a lot, I don't think he's good enough as a starter.

That said, TT is 10 times the qb of Yates. He has been in those offense and has shown nothing. His best characteristic is knowing the playbook. If he ever has to play, I'm betting on our opponent.

I would take that bet with pretty much any backup facing a starter.

Unless it's against the Bengals.

I agree with C.Biscuit. I am closer to him on TT than to Kirby but Kirby is one of our best posters and he is right that he has long, long, long been a "keep the possible upside guy" over a "take the safe option."

He won't, I am sure, mind me mentioning Hogan v D'Rick.... but he is also big enough to admit when that approach would in hindsight have been the wrong choice and he does not change his approach to roster building year on year to support or criticise whatever the Bills are doing. His 'agenda' to the extent he has one is just based on his own view of roster building not on trying to create a narrative one way or the other about the Bills.