Stats that define the "Build a bully" era

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seemed a lot of games down 2 scores and 3 minutes left, so you throw 5 yard passes (handed to you by the D) and let 25 seconds pee away. Then you need the onside kick and a Hail Mary with 3 seconds to tie the game. Half the BBMB proudly counted that as almost winning...

Here's a stat:

Rex "Is this thing on?" and it never was on = Blowhard

vs.

McDermott "I have to own the 17 year drought...I'm the coach" = Leader

Still sickened that I got pulled in to that sideshow thinking he could lead our team. What a buffoon!

I was right there with you. I was ecstatic that they hired Ryan. Holy schit balls, was I wrong. Worst coach in the history of the franchise. And he ruined Doug Whaley's career, to boot.

2015 4.8 ypc, #1 in rushing

2016 5.3 ypc, #1 in rushing

Best rushing teams the Bills have had since the 70s

#1 in predictability

#1 in ease to defend against

That's how a team with the best run game in the league ends up .500 or below.

#1 in predictability

#1 in ease to defend against

That's how a team with the best run game in the league ends up .500 or below.

How could they be easy to defend when no one could stop their running game? I think you mean impossible to defend.

If you want to see easy to defend that wait until they start throwing the ball around more this season and their points and yards per game plummets. They'll be less predictable though, I'll grant you that.

A team with the league's beast running game ends up at 0.500 because they have one of the worst defenses. Like the Bills from the mid 70s.

Edited by vincec

How could they be easy to defend when no one could stop their running game? I think you mean impossible to defend.

If you want to see easy to defend that wait until they start throwing the ball around more this season and their points and yards per game plummets. They'll be less predictable though, I'll grant you that.

A team with the league's beast running game ends up at 0.500 because they have one of the worst defenses. Like the Bills from the mid 70s.

Easy to keep out of the end zone at crucial times of games.

I agree that they had a horrible defense.

They also had a very tired defense. Poor TOP and 3/outs did the defense no favors.

Teams were just fine letting Shady and TT put up gaudy rushing stats because they knew getting the ball across the goal line wasn't imminent; not by a long-shot.

The Rex-era teams stunk from top to bottom and everywhere in between. I'm not laying it all on the offense.

Bottom line is neither the offense, nor the defense, could come up big when it needed to. And I think opposing teams were well aware.

I mean he kind of was a "bully" in a sense. Bullies pick on weaker targets but are afraid of their own shadow when they confront someone tougher then them. Rex's teams would go all out to beat lesser teams like the 49ers and Browns last year. But against the Patriots or Steelers they would always crap out.

I think the Patriots win last year without Brady was the only team they beat a team with a winning record in his tenure? Well also the last Jets game of 15' as well. So 2?

I admit I liked the hire initially though. I figured 10-6 in 2015 and Playoffs. Boy was I wrong

Edited by Another Fan

Here's a stat:

Rex "Is this thing on?" and it never was on = Blowhard

vs.

McDermott "I have to own the 17 year drought...I'm the coach" = Leader

Still sickened that I got pulled in to that sideshow thinking he could lead our team. What a buffoon!

I was right there with you and from day one my brother that lives near NYC said Rex as a buffoon, his exact word.

Easy to keep out of the end zone at crucial times of games.

I agree that they had a horrible defense.

They also had a very tired defense. Poor TOP and 3/outs did the defense no favors.

Teams were just fine letting Shady and TT put up gaudy rushing stats because they knew getting the ball across the goal line wasn't imminent; not by a long-shot.

The Rex-era teams stunk from top to bottom and everywhere in between. I'm not laying it all on the offense.

Bottom line is neither the offense, nor the defense, could come up big when it needed to. And I think opposing teams were well aware.

Eagles had the best TOP and didn't make the playoffs. The Bills were tied with seven other teams at 29 minutes, which includes KC.Miami's was worse. Bill's defense was not this gasping, tired defense that you make it out to be. They are paid to stop people and get turnovers, which they did not do well at all against playoff teams.

Interesting stat-Buffalo had a better TOP on the road than at home. 28 at home, 30 on the road.

You have any?

These 2 from a snooze article resonate with me...

2-11 vs. playoff teams

4-11 in games decided by one score

Those teams were so mismanaged and mentally weak.

...consider the source.....an inept blowhard and his build a bulls%$t era.....at least he's ESPN's problem now...............

Coaches that inherited winning teams with top 5 defenses?

I'll save you the trouble. The answer is no.

The top five defense I agree with, but one season of 9-7 when NE really didn't care about that last game, isn't inheriting "winning teams". They were 6-10 before that. I'm glad Ryan is gone, but he inherited an average NFL team overall, maybe a little above average. They are still an average roster at best, which is why they can use a vet like Boldin.

The top five defense I agree with, but one season of 9-7 when NE really didn't care about that last game, isn't inheriting "winning teams". They were 6-10 before that. I'm glad Ryan is gone, but he inherited an average NFL team overall, maybe a little above average. They are still an average roster at best, which is why they can use a vet like Boldin.

You are quite the twister, aren't you.

If a team goes (9-7) and a new head coach takes over the following year, said coach is inheriting a winning team.

It's not an opinion. I'm not suggesting that may be the case.

It's a factual statement that cannot be argued.