McDermott on drought: "I own that.. I'm a part of that"

Yah, I'm not impressed with this "ownership" stuff.... You should own what YOU do... -Not somebody else's misdeeds..

Sounds like a guy trying to say what he thinks you want to hear...

When a leader accepts a position, he/she inherits that organization's history, both good and bad. Sean now "owns" our 17 year drought and has the responsibility to turn it around. A leader assumes that responsibility immediately upon hire.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a leader accepts a position, he/she inherits that organization's history, both good and bad. Sean now "owns" our 17 year drought and has the responsibility to turn it around. A leader assumes that responsibility immediately upon hire.

He should be celebrating and taking credit for the Bills' 64 and 65 AFL Championships as well as the four consecutive Super Bowl appearances. :rolleyes:

Maybe, but I sort of like it.

17 years of losing is who we are. The coach must build on this and if he does, if he can even coach this football team to a wild card spot, this fan base will explode with glee. At this point, even some of our most rabid fans expect to lose. :(

Sadly, I have gone from world's biggest homer to thinking the Bills will never make the playoffs in my kid's lifetime. :(

Sick of talking up coaches and players. Just win baby.

Why is that promising to you?

To me it is refreshing. For years and years, this organization, especially upper management from the coaches to the owner, have sidestepped accountability. From my point of view as a fan, a theme, instead of structuring a winning football program, it seems that they operate more to outsource blame and accountability, while making excuses.

Edited by May Day 10

McD's first moves:

- Complete rebuild of the run game, the only thing that worked last year

- Loose one veteran CB and replace him with his first draft pick

So it looks like another coach will gut the roster for his system. Remember this story?

He'll focus on things that don't matter, like option passing, running lanes, H-Backs, spread, read option, and dialing up a blitz.

He'll be remember for his mistakes, like penalties, turnovers, play execution, roster depth, and game management.

So yeah, he owns it. Just as long as the Bills stay in Buffalo, I'm happy.

It's a well-known historical, fact, I'm not sure "owning it" is required... In the business world, when you take over a struggling franchise, people want to see an upgraded façade, and an "under new management" sign...

Something that signals a noticeable departure, and from it's previous state.

This would have been the better approach

I know it’s been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Well get ready, man, we’re going. We are going. And the guarantee, hey, am I guaranteeing a Super Bowl and all that? I’ll tell you what I will do; I will guarantee the pursuit of it

He'd be remiss not to acknowledge the drought, but it has literally nothing to do with him. McD will be judged on what he does going forward, he's under no obligation to let the past inform his position.

He'd be remiss not to acknowledge the drought, but it has literally nothing to do with him. McD will be judged on what he does going forward, he's under no obligation to let the past inform his position.

The above is true GB, but imo 17 years of losing DOES place the coach in a different position.

Having to install a completely different, winning mentality to this team after Rex will probably be very taxing.

Otoh if he can get the team even to a wildcard spot, he will be a star in the eyes of the owner, players and the fans. His value as a coach in terms of compensation would instantly skyrocket.

Wrt the Bills, a wildcard spot equates to huge success (imo of course).

the only thing the new coach 'owning' a loong playoff drought does is acknowledge the elephant in the room. it feels nice to admit we all see it, but it doesnt do anything to get it to move the hell out

theyve decided to eschew the tank and try to start building a winner from the start. frankly, i dont think they can do it with this roster. but if mcd wants to really own the playoff-less streak he can start by showing everybody hes the kind of coach that will build the kind of organization to get it done sooner rather than later

so far so good as ive liked what ive seen out of him, but it dont mean nuthin until they start counting W's and L's

He seems to have an "accountable" personality. When he says that he owns this, my guess is he means that he chose to take this on, and as the leader of this team, he owns the fact that it's a part of the organization that he now leads and is accountable for overcoming. I don't believe he intends to carry it on his shoulders like a weight, but rather acknowledges that it is a real charactetistic of this team and this city, and isn't ignoring it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He seems to have an "accountable" personality. When he says that he owns this, my guess is he means that he chose to take this on, and as the leader of this team, he owns the fact that it's a part of the organization that he now leads and is accountable for overcoming. I don't believe he intends to carry it on his shoulders like a weight, but rather acknowledges that it is a real charactetistic of this team and this city, and isn't ignoring it.

He and Beane want to be the NFL's version of Theo Epstein, maybe?

Exactly. "Owning" it just tells me that he knows his position.

Our players have to be tired of losing, and I think we have the right coaches to push them.

It's a well-known historical, fact, I'm not sure "owning it" is required... In the business world, when you take over a struggling franchise, people want to see an upgraded façade, and an "under new management" sign...

Something that signals a noticeable departure, and from it's previous state.

You can be the new Sheriff in town while at the same time assuming ownership of the fan's plight and the team's history.

It's sort of like when that new player comes into town and recognizes the they are part of a team that hasn't succeeded rather than pointing out they had nothing to do with the failures of the past.

It's a respectable leadership stance. If it's genuine, this guy may be the general we've been hoping for to lead the troops.

Pegula still is side stepping accountability.

He basically did that with the Rex hire.

He terminated the guy to the tune of $15 m. He made the call 2 years into a 5 year deal, when from an organizational perspective conventional wisdom certainly would have supported staying the course. From a structural standpoint, he hired the exact opposite type of personality to run the team. He fired the General Manager of the team, brought in a new guy to compliment the organizational style of the head coach.

Other than a press conference broadcast on all the major networks, where he stated "I'm taking full accountability for everything", for which he would likely be savaged for his press conference demeanor or choice of suit, you see him passing the buck?