sammy watkins subject on gmfb

they had a guest that was on the show(defensive tackle that played for pittsburgh not to long ago)

they were talking fantasy WR and sammy came up and he thinks sammy will be gone soon and that he "talked to bills players" and they said they feel the offense opens up more when sammy is not on the field.

to be honest im a little confused. discuss? LMK what your thoughts are

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to know what that statement is based on? Did the offense "open up" without Watkins last year, playing only street free agents and Woods? Sounds like someone just saying stuff about a team few follow anyway, so who's going to correct him?

I'd love to know what that statement is based on? Did the offense "open up" without Watkins last year, playing only street free agents and Woods? Sounds like someone just saying stuff about a team few follow anyway, so who's going to correct him?

Not sure, but in 2016 we gained 109 fewer yards and score 20 more points than we did in 2015.

Not sure, but in 2016 we gained 109 fewer yards and score 20 more points than we did in 2015.

we were really good in the red zone last year fwiw

they had a guest that was on the show(defensive tackle that played for pittsburgh not to long ago)

they were talking fantasy WR and sammy came up and he thinks sammy will be gone soon and that he "talked to bills players" and they said they feel the offense opens up more when sammy is not on the field.

I dunno - when he wasn't healthy it was like beating a dead horse trying to get him involved. But when he's healthy i think he opens things up quite a bit.

Tyrod's numbers didn't change all that much with or without Sammy and we went 5 and 3 - so that should tell you a lot more about Tyrod than Sammy.

Sammy Watkins, IMO, is an immensely talented 24 year old. Anyone that says a team is better without him on the field - you should, without hesitation, stop listening to another word they say.

This doesn't even make sense

hes an ex football player that played on the steelers last superbowl squad. what I posted up was what he said

GMFB stands for "good morning football". its a morning television talk show about football on nfl network if people dont know what it stands for.

hes an ex football player that played on the steelers last superbowl squad. what I posted up was what he said

GMFB stands for "good morning football". its a morning television talk show about football on nfl network if people dont know what it stands for.

but i know what you mean though.

Tyrod's numbers didn't change all that much with or without Sammy and we went 5 and 3 - so that should tell you a lot more about Tyrod than Sammy.

Sammy Watkins, IMO, is an immensely talented 24 year old. Anyone that says a team is better without him on the field - you should, without hesitation, stop listening to another word they say.

its apparently what "bills players said". trust me, I find it weird myself. it was interesting enough to share so..

Sounds ridiculous. I personally pay zero attention to most shows like this or pre game shows for a few years now. I'd rather hear some insight from members of this board any day of the week...

Sammy might be the best WR in the league at tracking and hauling in the deep ball. He forces defenses to commit a Safety to help , that alone opens up an offense.

It's been mind boggling that he rarely gets a screen or slant thrown his way and that should change this year under Dennison. His talent speaks for itself, he's an elite talent.

Food for thought- 4/5 OL , Taylor , Shady, Clay and Sammy are now entering year 3 TOGETHER ... They should know each other's playing style like the back of their hand and will make adjusting to a new scheme that much easier. Also , Zay , if he lives up to the hype, is a better compliment to Watkin's than Woods was.

This O can be explosive.

Edited by JerseyBills

This doesn't even make sense

It MAY make sense if they mean that with Sammy on the field the offensive scheme was to "feed him the ball" and when he was not playing it forced them to spread the pass attempts around ... hence "opening up" the offense. IMHO no one in their right mind would think the offense is BETTER without Sammy on the field ... but I could see where it could be more varied.

It MAY make sense if they mean that with Sammy on the field the offensive scheme was to "feed him the ball" and when he was not playing it forced them to spread the pass attempts around ... hence "opening up" the offense. IMHO no one in their right mind would think the offense is BETTER without Sammy on the field ... but I could see where it could be more varied.

exactly what i wanted to think. i just couldnt because i feel im a lil slow

Sounds ridiculous. I personally pay zero attention to most shows like this or pre game shows for a few years now. I'd rather hear some insight from members of this board any day of the week...

Sammy might be the best WR in the league at tracking and hauling in the deep ball. He forces defenses to commit a Safety to help , that alone opens up an offense.

It's been mind boggling that he rarely gets a screen or slant thrown his way and that should change this year under Dennison. His talent speaks for itself, he's an elite talent.

Food for thought- 4/5 OL , Taylor , Shady, Clay and Sammy are now entering year 3 TOGETHER ... They should know each other's playing style like the back of their hand and will make adjusting to a new scheme that much easier. Also , Zay , if he lives up to the hype, is a better compliment to Watkin's than Woods was.

This O can be explosive.

On the last sentence... I feel like there is some metric on number of plays over 20 years or something like this... and this offense cast or the bulk of the current cast was already tops in whatever the metric was.

On the last sentence... I feel like there is some metric on number of plays over 20 years or something like this... and this offense cast or the bulk of the current cast was already tops in whatever the metric was.

I believe it was 20 yard runs but possibly 20 yard offensive plays that we lead or were top 3 in the league. And with this new scheme, it can really be a handful, Taylor and shady running the ball are lethal.

We add a weapon like Dimarco to that backfield and Dennison can get extremely creative. We have very unique talent and skillsets on O , making it very tough to prepare for and that's an advantage before the coin is even flipped

I believe it was 20 yard runs but possibly 20 yard offensive plays that we lead or were top 3 in the league. And with this new scheme, it can really be a handful, Taylor and shady running the ball are lethal.

We add a weapon like Dimarco to that backfield and Dennison can get extremely creative. We have very unique talent and skillsets on O , making it very tough to prepare for and that's an advantage before the coin is even flipped

we've been #1 in the league the past 2 years for 'big plays' which are 10+ yard runs and 25+ yard passes. Last year we had 100 (77 Run, 23 Pass), 2015 we had 102 (70 Run, 32 Pass). Over the past 2 years 9.96% of our plays have been 'big plays' which is also the highest rate in the league.

we were really good in the red zone last year fwiw

I dunno - when he wasn't healthy it was like beating a dead horse trying to get him involved. But when he's healthy i think he opens things up quite a bit.

I do think he was forced on the field to some degree and then used a decoy.

But i have my bias about Rex and some about Watkins

Kid was injured, but Bills had nothing in the wings really. Tough situation for all concerned.

Go back to 2015 after (get me the ball!! ) and tyrod just chucked it at him often. kid made plays. lotsa plays.

Not sure who he really is honestly.

but it feels like business more than a love of the game to me. (opinions matter lol )

exactly what i wanted to think. i just couldnt because i feel im a lil slow

I appreciate the dialogue, perhaps i am a bit slow as well /

The potential is real.

If Bills can do a bit better protecting the right in passpro....

please do not let this turn into a Tyrod rant folks :doh:

it was mentioned astutely, That Sammy has not been used as his college career might suggest. YAC was his thing. I hope Ricky D makes use of what SW and McCoy can do when the O line is moving.

The team looks like it can pound between the tackles or open it up outside the hashes this year.

I do not want to get my hopes too high. But on paper...

we've been #1 in the league the past 2 years for 'big plays' which are 10+ yard runs and 25+ yard passes. Last year we had 100 (77 Run, 23 Pass), 2015 we had 102 (70 Run, 32 Pass). Over the past 2 years 9.96% of our plays have been 'big plays' which is also the highest rate in the league.

Thanks for relaying pleasant stats Hokie. Very nice. Reinforcing some positives is okay by me !

I think that intel may be at least a year old. I remember hearing a rumor similar to that not last season, but the one before. Tyrod and Rex's first year. That either they were forcing too many balls to Sammy, even if he was covered, or Tyrod was staring him down a bit and some players thought the offense was better when the ball got spread around more. So, that would have been after Sammy called for the ball more and maybe while he was having that really good stretch at the end of 2015. Maybe that sentiment carried over a bit to last year, but with Sammy being out so much and the rest of the receiving core now having basically turned over, not to mention a new coaching staff, I don't think this is the current thought by anyone on the team, but instead was how some guys felt like a year or more ago. At least that's my recollection and assumption.

Edited by folz