Going to first home Bills game!! Help planning.

Hey guys,

I have been a huge Bills fan for about 14 years now. I watch every game on TV and have been to one live game before. The Bills vs Arizona game where Trent Edwards got concussed. Anyways, my wife decided to get me flights and Bills tickets for my birthday this year. We are going to be in Buffalo for about three days. I want to maximize the experience as much as I can. If anyone could provide some insider tips, it would be much appreciated.

- Which section would be the best value seats for the game?

- Where do I go for tailgating?

- Which hotel should we stay at the night before the game?

- What is the best way to transit around?

We are also, going to have a few days to tour Buffalo. I was thinking of going to Niagra Falls and possibly the New Era caps factory. I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions for the rest of the trip.

-What is the best way to get to Niagra Falls?

-Where should we stay the remainder of the trip?

- We love food, any restaurant recommendations? Which place has the best Buffalo wings?

- Anything else we should see while we are in the area?

Thank you so much for your help!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lot of questions.

Tickets: if you are looking for value the upper deck seats give you a great view but are not that expensive.

Where to tailgate: There's only one answer - Hammer's lot with Pinto Kenny. It's the closest private lot to the stadium, just a little south and across Abbott Rd.

Hotel: I have no opinion. There are few options near the stadium anyway. You might consider AirB&B.

Getting around: rental car is your best option.

The Falls: Again, use a rental car. And be sure to bring a passport so you can go to the Canadian side. The US side is disappointing.

I'll leave it to others to answer the food questions. As for what else to do, check the Sabres schedule and see if there is a hockey game that weekend. I also recommend seeing a UB basketball game if you can.

What game?

I haven't decided yet, but I was thinking of going to the home opener. It will most likely be one of the September games.

Tickets: if you are looking for value the upper deck seats give you a great view but are not that expensive.

Where to tailgate: There's only one answer - Hammer's lot with Pinto Kenny. It's the closest private lot to the stadium, just a little south and across Abbott Rd.

Hotel: I have no opinion. There are few options near the stadium anyway. You might consider AirB&B.

Getting around: rental car is your best option.

The Falls: Again, use a rental car. And be sure to bring a passport so you can go to the Canadian side. The US side is disappointing.

I'll leave it to others to answer the food questions. As for what else to do, check the Sabres schedule and see if there is a hockey game that weekend. I also recommend seeing a UB basketball game if you can.

Thanks for the info!! I live in western Canada, so I will definitely have my passport with me.

closer to the stadium the better. if you're going to have a vehicle you need to be there by 8am or the Hammer lots full.

How early does the tailgating start? We will probably just stay close by so we don't have to bring a car.

How early does the tailgating start? We will probably just stay close by so we don't have to bring a car.

If you're there at 8, you're late. :)

Personally, I would stay downtown and experience Buffalo. Lots of hotel options and they have joined modern society with ride sharing. Some of the best restaurants you will ever experience are in Buffalo. If you need more information, I'd be glad to answer if you want to PM me.

- Lots of places for "best" wings- it depends where your staying and the closest "best" place. Duffs, Gabriels gate, 911, and the Anchor Bar are staples and easy to get to if your in the city.

- If your only staying for 1 night I would highly recommend axing NF and do that in its own seperate trip. You will only have enough time to drive there and say yay, I saw the falls and not much more.

- As to where to stay- theres a quaint yet fun town called East Aurora south of Buffalo and very close to the stadium- about ten minutes. They have nice bed and breakfast joints and some top notch places to eat. The Barbill, imo has the best Wings and Beef on Weck in Western NY. The best part of East Aurora- you can party and walk easily thru main street. Consider the Marriot at Harbor Center if your desire is to stay in Buffalo.

As for Tailgating- Hammers is always said to be the best. Ive never been as there tons of other good places as well. I do a private lot right on the 50 across the stadium lot Bills side. Its alot of fun back in those lots.

Better get your tix soon- upper deck is cheap and not bad if you get lower upper decks. End zones arent the best view but they are cheap enough, fun, and you can still see fairly well.

Best of luck- feel free to PM me I know the area like the back of my hand.

Edited by billsfan_34

i try to crack my first beer by 6:30am

i'm debating how !@#$ed up i want to get.

somewhere between planning to drive back to nroth carolina after the game and getting home at 4:30am and all the way up to talking to BillsNutInHouston and his wife about how dating is so easy now because the women are so wild drunk. I may just go with being drunk enough to sit on gugny's lap

i try to crack my first beer by 6:30am

i'm debating how !@#$ed up i want to get.

somewhere between planning to drive back to nroth carolina after the game and getting home at 4:30am and all the way up to talking to BillsNutInHouston and his wife about how dating is so easy now because the women are so wild drunk. I may just go with being drunk enough to sit on gugny's lap

Trying to decide if I should be offended. 😄 Edited by BillnutinHouston

Hey guys,

I have been a huge Bills fan for about 14 years now. I watch every game on TV and have been to one live game before. The Bills vs Arizona game where Trent Edwards got concussed. Anyways, my wife decided to get me flights and Bills tickets for my birthday this year. We are going to be in Buffalo for about three days. I want to maximize the experience as much as I can. If anyone could provide some insider tips, it would be much appreciated.

- Which section would be the best value seats for the game?

- Where do I go for tailgating?

- Which hotel should we stay at the night before the game?

- What is the best way to transit around?

We are also, going to have a few days to tour Buffalo. I was thinking of going to Niagra Falls and possibly the New Era caps factory. I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions for the rest of the trip.

-What is the best way to get to Niagra Falls?

-Where should we stay the remainder of the trip?

- We love food, any restaurant recommendations? Which place has the best Buffalo wings?

- Anything else we should see while we are in the area?

Thank you so much for your help!

Here's my question ... what, in Allah's name, made you become a Bills fan 14 years ago?????

If you're there at 8, you're late. :)

Personally, I would stay downtown and experience Buffalo. Lots of hotel options and they have joined modern society with ride sharing. Some of the best restaurants you will ever experience are in Buffalo. If you need more information, I'd be glad to answer if you want to PM me.

Thanks! I will send you a message when it is closer to the date.

- Lots of places for "best" wings- it depends where your staying and the closest "best" place. Duffs, Gabriels gate, 911, and the Anchor Bar are staples and easy to get to if your in the city.

- If your only staying for 1 night I would highly recommend axing NF and do that in its own seperate trip. You will only have enough time to drive there and say yay, I saw the falls and not much more.

- As to where to stay- theres a quaint yet fun town called East Aurora south of Buffalo and very close to the stadium- about ten minutes. They have nice bed and breakfast joints and some top notch places to eat. The Barbill, imo has the best Wings and Beef on Weck in Western NY. The best part of East Aurora- you can party and walk easily thru main street. Consider the Marriot at Harbor Center if your desire is to stay in Buffalo.

As for Tailgating- Hammers is always said to be the best. Ive never been as there tons of other good places as well. I do a private lot right on the 50 across the stadium lot Bills side. Its alot of fun back in those lots.

Better get your tix soon- upper deck is cheap and not bad if you get lower upper decks. End zones arent the best view but they are cheap enough, fun, and you can still see fairly well.

Best of luck- feel free to PM me I know the area like the back of my hand.

Thanks for the info, I will send you a message.

Here's my question ... what, in Allah's name, made you become a Bills fan 14 years ago?????

I started watching the Bills casually when Doug Flutie was there. I watched him play when I lived in Calgary for the Stampeders. I wasn't I diehard fan probably until the 2004 season, when they added Bledsoe. I was a big Eric Moulds fan though, he is probably the biggest reason I am a Bills fan.

Would you guys do the Jets game or the Denver game?

Edited by billspro

As for which game to attend, I'd always go with the home opener since any tiny slivers of optimism are still at the forefront (and the Jets should be terrible this year).

When I come to town I like to stay downtown (if I'm not staying with friends). Lots to do downtown now also, and in September the weather will still be great. If Uber really has arrived in Buffalo you could take that to the game -- then you're not tied to any one parking lot and can "roam" a bit to get the full experience (and you don't have the drinking/driving worries).

This sounds trite, but there really isn't a bad seat at The Cap.

Enjoy your trip! Sounds like a great birthday gift.

Edited by eball

I am originally from Buffalo but left a long time ago. We have gone to 2 games in the past 3 years and had a fabulous time.

The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is 1000% more beautiful (what a shame that more thought and money hasn't gone into the American side). Having a rental car helps a lot and there are a ton of nice hotels near the airport. Everything is fairly easy to get to in the Buffalo area, but hate all of the tollbooths (bring change).

Depending on how much time you have, a side trip to Letchworth State Park is a bonus. Very spectacular, especially with the changing of the foliage.

There is plenty of tailgating to be had. We have gone to the Wings lot and met some terrific fellow Bills fans and will be doing that again this year for the opener.

As for which game to attend, I'd always go with the home opener since any tiny slivers of optimism are still at the forefront (and the Jets should be terrible this year).

When I come to town I like to stay downtown (if I'm not staying with friends). Lots to do downtown now also, and in September the weather will still be great. If Uber really has arrived in Buffalo you could take that to the game -- then you're not tied to any one parking lot and can "roam" a bit to get the full experience (and you don't have the drinking/driving worries).

This sounds trite, but there really isn't a bad seat at The Cap.

Enjoy your trip! Sounds like a great birthday gift.

i can confirm Uber has arrived (I sensed the skepticism in your post) :lol:. Lyft is there as well. I took Uber downtown twice over 4th of July weekend and both cars were there within 1-3 minutes, worked great.

To the OP - I also recommend staying downtown and taking Uber to and from the game. If you rent a car you can go to the Falls and other areas but if stay at or near Canalside - there are numerous great options, depending on what type of hotel you like. Hotel Lafayette,

Pearl Street Lofts and Hotel Henry are cool boutique type places. Also Mansion on Delaware (they also have "butlers" who will drive you around downtown for free). There is also the HarborCenter Marriott (Pegula's new hotel that is next to Key Bank Center) and a Courtyard right there as well. Embassy Suites is nice too. Just a few options. If you want to stay closer to OP where The stadium is, I recommend the East Aurora area - there is a really nice newly renovated Hampton Inn.

Food options are endless. I do recommend going to 716 Food & Sport at least once in your life (at Harbour Center). Such a cool place for anyone who is a fan of Bills and/or Sabres.

i can confirm Uber has arrived (I sensed the skepticism in your post) :lol:. Lyft is there as well. I took Uber downtown twice over 4th of July weekend and both cars were there within 1-3 minutes, worked great.

To the OP - I also recommend staying downtown and taking Uber to and from the game. If you rent a car you can go to the Falls and other areas but if stay at or near Canalside - there are numerous great options, depending on what type of hotel you like. Hotel Lafayette,

Pearl Street Lofts and Hotel Henry are cool boutique type places. Also Mansion on Delaware (they also have "butlers" who will drive you around downtown for free). There is also the HarborCenter Marriott (Pegula's new hotel that is next to Key Bank Center) and a Courtyard right there as well. Embassy Suites is nice too. Just a few options. If you want to stay closer to OP where The stadium is, I recommend the East Aurora area - there is a really nice newly renovated Hampton Inn.

Food options are endless. I do recommend going to 716 Food & Sport at least once in your life (at Harbour Center). Such a cool place for anyone who is a fan of Bills and/or Sabres.

Yes! -to the 716! I was honored to spend time there when I was up for the Stones concert 2 years ago, and see Buffalo finally have a truly fantastic sports bar -with parking available at both levels of the bar!

Right next to the Bills RV Lot and only a 3 minute walk to stadium gates.

closer to the stadium the better. if you're going to have a vehicle you need to be there by 8am or the Hammer lots full.

Not always full by 8am usually just the first 2 games.

Id say for the opener get to Hammers Lot by 7-7:15am Denver game by 8am

Right next to the Bills RV Lot and only a 3 minute walk to stadium gates.

Not always full by 8am usually just the first 2 games.

Id say for the opener get to Hammers Lot by 7-7:15am Denver game by 8am

Will you be allowing table slamming this year? Mead wanted me to ask.