Favorite cereal growing up/favorite cereal now

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shredded Wheat-from Niagara Falls, Rice Crispies, Frosted Mini Wheat. Been Celiac since 2001 so very limited now. No wheat, oats, barley or rye. Can't figure out how they got the gluten out of Honey Nut Cheerios, but that's an option now. Can get mass quantities at Costco, for not too much $$. Can't believe the prices at Wegmans, even for their store brands. High prices and tiny boxes.

Not being negative and in anyway being disrespectful. It's interesting this whole "gluten free" craze. I am not doubting you on being Celiac.

Seeing that you are Celiac, what's your take on the rise of all this. As humans we have eating gluten since the dawn of time. Why all the problems now. Is it too much food choice?

Just trying to grasp this whole gluten free thing.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not being negative and in anyway being disrespectful. It's interesting this whole "gluten free" craze. I am not doubting you on being Celiac.

Seeing that you are Celiac, what's your take on the rise of all this. As humans we have eating gluten since the dawn of time. Why all the problems now. Is it too much food choice?

GMO. all kinds of chemicals in the food supply,processed foods, etc.

Lots o folks dont believe in the rise of things like ADHD either...and trust me it is real

Americans have a particularly sterile gut, not enough bacteria.

And no, we have not been eating Gluten since the beginning of time, humans didn't evolve eating grains, especially highly processed grains. I have Celliac-like symptoms but don't have Celliac, If I eat too much wheat my abdomen blows up like a balloon and stays like that for days. Gluten-Free has a fad aspect to it, but even ppl like me without Celliac can't be eating a lot of grains.

A good rule to follow is don't eat food sold in boxes.

And don't start with the anti GMO stuff, if you do, you have no idea what a GMO is... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecT2CaL7NA Anti GMO is like being part of a religious cult, or just really stupid.

Edited by T-Bomb

GMO. all kinds of chemicals in the food supply,processed foods, etc.

Lots o folks dont believe in the rise of things like ADHD either...and trust me it is real

Then don't feed them crap.

You don't think it is society, fast paced nature, etc... etc... So highly competitive out there, yet wide open culture with less structure. Especially family structure.

I am quick to blame things on the food and our delivery, distribution system... But so many other things in play.

I am not anti-GMO. People need to eat and be fed, not starve. I am more inclined to think our problems are culturally driven. Just slow the game down, add more structure.

And no, we have not been eating Gluten since the beginning of time, humans didn't evolve eating grains, especially highly processed grains. I have Celliac-like symptoms but don't have Celliac, If I eat too much wheat my abdomen blows up like a balloon and stays like that for days. Gluten-Free has a fad aspect to it, but even ppl like me without Celliac can't be eating a lot of grains.

And don't start with the anti GMO stuff, if you do, you have no idea what a GMO is...

Anti GMO is like being part of a religious cult, or just really stupid.
Thanks. If anything, I am pro-GMO. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

And don't start with the anti GMO stuff, if you do, you have no idea what a GMO is... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecT2CaL7NA Anti GMO is like being part of a religious cult, or just really stupid.

Humans have definitely been eating grains since as far back as Australopithecus:

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/26/10495.abstract

The biggest issue with regard to gluten is that modern strains of wheat have more of it than older strains, and for folks that are sensitive to gluten, that can bother them.

In general, the majority of the population tolerates gluten just fine as long as they have a healthy gut microbial culture.

That doesn't mean that celiac and NCGS aren't real; they are...they simply aren't anywhere near as prominent as many outlets make it seem.

It is quite perplexing. A year ago, we were consuming a whole lot of gluten in my household. Loads of pasta and bread and everyone was doing just fine. Within a matter of weeks, my wife was up literally almost all night, every night with "gastro issues." She lost an unhealthy amount of weight, and she also began developing these dry, patchy skin irritations. One was on the side of her head and made her hair fall out. She was (not shockingly) developing depressive and anxious symptoms. She must have seen 9 or 10 different doctors, was in therapy, and was finally diagnosed with Celiac. We immediately cut all gluten from our diet, and eventually had to cut out dairy as well for some reason.

I never would say anything to her, but I was skeptical about the whole thing because she was seeing a couple homeopathic doctors. Within a couple weeks of the dietary changes, however, her health started to improve significantly and her hair grew right back. Weird stuff.

You don't have to be a cultist to be anti-GM. Or stupid. There are plenty of functional arguments to be made against it from an agricultural perspective.

Tie between 4 growing up

Frosted Flakes/ Honeycomb/ Fruit Loops/Apple Jacks

Now

Frosted Mini Wheats...

I love cereal, but try to not eat much anymore...most of it is just awful for you...I am a Plain Greek Yogurt and fruit guy...lord might as well just kill myself now I am so old

Ant BTW Teef, almost 100% of cereals are "sugar" cereals

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/breakfast-was-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day--until-america-ruined-it/2017/05/12/f1d0e128-368c-11e7-b4ee-434b6d506b37_story.html?utm_term=.7e1c2300fa18

Trade Honeycomb for Captain Crunch and you had me then (though it may have scrapped off the roof of my mouth). Now....I can't remember the last time I had cereal. It would be a frosted mini-wheat if I went that direction. I do a banana and skim milk in the morning, and I miss it when not available.

You don't have to be a cultist to be anti-GM. Or stupid. There are plenty of functional arguments to be made against it from an agricultural perspective.

From a starving world perspective, let them eat cake! We can take the "great leap forward" and blow us all back to the stone age. Everybody put their gardening pants on, we are eating what we till!

With that, I think GMO advancements can do a lot more to help the third world countries.