Sherman says players should strike!

Richard Sherman is stating NFL players need to consider striking to get better deals like the NBA and MLB. He then praises NBA players for being smart and working around the cap by taking 2 year deals.

NBA players like KD and LeBron are sitting there taking two-year deals like it's nothing," Sherman said. "They figure, 'I'll take a two-year deal because I'm going to wait for the salary cap to increase and get another bite at the apple.' In our sport, they won't do it."

Great idea Richard when you consider the average NFL career is only three years long. Losing 1/2 years salary will look real good when you only play for three seasons!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully guaranteed deals aren't banned in the cba. All it takes is one guy to demand one and they will become the norm. The overall salary might be lower but guaranteed money higher. Cousins should do 5 years 100 mil all guaranteed instead of 5 for 125 75 guaranteed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the fans should strike. We want reduced ticket prices at the stadiums, reduced concessions costs and no more TV blackouts.

Complete boycott of opening day next season. No attendees at the stadiums and no one watching on TV. I'll bet that one week of that would do it.

Edited by vincec

I'm sure that the early pioneers in the fight for humane working conditions and the original opponents of child labor laws never saw the day when twenty something year old millionaires would be arguing for guaranteed contracts, more time off, and better 'deals' than other millionaires ..... SHEESH!

Dick Sherman. His mom deserves an award for nailing his name.

Yeah let's take 2 year deals and screw up what we do get in guaranteed money then have a career ending injury. This is probably a future rep for the NFLPA. I feel bad for the players.

Fully guaranteed deals aren't banned in the cba. All it takes is one guy to demand one and they will become the norm.

Not sure what makes you think that? It could become the norm among the elite players but the overwhelming majority of the players wouldn't get guaranteed deals unless it was required by the CBA.

Fully guaranteed deals aren't banned in the cba. All it takes is one guy to demand one and they will become the norm.

Not sure what makes you think that? It could become the norm among the elite players but the overwhelming majority of the players wouldn't get guaranteed deals unless it was required by the CBA.

The players just need to come together and demand it. Asoumadi(sp) did it years ago with the raiders. 3 year contract for 45 mil all guaranteed. These guys are all usually taking pretty short deals(compared to hockey) so they take a year less but all guaranteed.

The players would lose in any work stoppage, just as they have in every other work stoppage.

Regardless of who the fans side with, the billionaires are the ones that don't need the money, whereas the bottom 90% of NFL players do, in fact, need their weekly game checks to support their families and lifestyles.

Unless the top 10% paid NFL players are prepared to set up a "survival fund" for the bottom 90%, a work stoppage is a bad, bad decision.

The players would lose in any work stoppage, just as they have in every other work stoppage.

Regardless of who the fans side with, the billionaires are the ones that don't need the money, whereas the bottom 90% of NFL players do, in fact, need their weekly game checks to support their families and lifestyles.

Unless the top 10% paid NFL players are prepared to set up a "survival fund" for the bottom 90%, a work stoppage is a bad, bad decision.

The players union had an insurance fund set up last time around and didn't even tell their own players about it until it was too late. Their own union screwed them on that when they had the chance to put the screws to the owners. The NHL has contracts that allow players to be paid even in a lockout. NFL players should be demanding that.

Dick Sherman. His mom deserves an award for nailing his name.

Yeah let's take 2 year deals and screw up what we do get in guaranteed money then have a career ending injury. This is probably a future rep for the NFLPA. I feel bad for the players.

Lets face it, most of these guys get 3-year deals now, that is what the guarantee covers, but then are stuck in a 6-year deal at the team's option. And Sherman is smart as hell, and he gets the only way for the players to start getting better deals is to not play games. Yes, it will hurt the current players, but long term it is the only way things will change.

The players union had an insurance fund set up last time around and didn't even tell their own players about it until it was too late. Their own union screwed them on that when they had the chance to put the screws to the owners. The NHL has contracts that allow players to be paid even in a lockout. NFL players should be demanding that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding was players like Price were getting paid the majority of their contracts as signing bonus, therefor getting paid when there is a lockout or not as their salary may only be $1M or so for the season.