Anyone here ever sky dived?

Another Fan

I did it once, a static line jump from 4,000 feet. When it was my turn to jump, it was the scariest thing ever, then the jump master said "get the #%*& off my plane" and you jump, say a quick prayer, look up and see your parachute is open and it's exhilaration.

The view is amazing as you come back to earth and they guide you in by one way radio, telling you which toggle to pull. Then I landed and they were yelling at me to stay down. I landed a foot off the runway and the wing from a glider went a couple feet over my head.

Overall it was cool experience and a box checked off my bucket list, I never did it again though.

We did it once as a family outing. Very cool! Weather conditions kept changing so we had to try two different days and did a lot of sitting around and waiting. The most surprising thing was how much colder it was when you get up to 14,000 feet. I wasn't expecgting that, but it makes sense. The cost was just a little more to jump from 14,000 vs 11,000, well worth it. The trip down is great and you'll want it to last.

I did it once, a static line jump from 4,000 feet. When it was my turn to jump, it was the scariest thing ever, then the jump master said "get the #%*& off my plane" and you jump, say a quick prayer, look up and see your parachute is open and it's exhilaration.

The view is amazing as you come back to earth and they guide you in by one way radio, telling you which toggle to pull. Then I landed and they were yelling at me to stay down. I landed a foot off the runway and the wing from a glider went a couple feet over my head.

Overall it was cool experience and a box checked off my bucket list, I never did it again though.

how did you not have to jump tandem?

I'd jump solo but I'd probably be too busy on tinder to remember to pull the cord.

We did it once as a family outing. Very cool! Weather conditions kept changing so we had to try two different days and did a lot of sitting around and waiting. The most surprising thing was how much colder it was when you get up to 14,000 feet. I wasn't expecgting that, but it makes sense. The cost was just a little more to jump from 14,000 vs 11,000, well worth it. The trip down is great and you'll want it to last.

if I remember youre a bigger dude lile me. How did it work tying yourself up to a little twink dude?

I feel like I'd crush him

Yes. It was hands down the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Rickety plane, guy on my back cracking jokes, when the actual time comes to jump you are pretty much petrified and he's frog marching you toward the door. But the falling was great, I got a little queasy when the guy pulled the parachute and started doing twirlies so I asked him to cut it out.

All in all, 5/10 and would not be excited to do it again. From now on I'm not jumping out of functioning aircraft.

From now on I'm not jumping out of functioning aircraft.

You ever seen the things white people do videos?

I think skydiving is a perfect example of this. Every time I read a story about people dying because of it I think well it's your own damn fault for jumping out of a perfectly good plane. I never have and never will go skydiving.

I went a few years ago in Clewiston FL. They advertise the longest free fall in FL. It was a little over a minute of free falling.

Here are my comments on the overall experience:

1) You take a mini 30 minute course about how everything works. Since it was my first time you have to go tandem. According to this place, if you take a day course and jump three times then you can go on your own. I wanted to go tandem as I didn't want the responsibility of possibly killing myself. In the pre jump course, they instruct you to fall face-forward with your arms crossed. They also instruct you to check your altimeter every 15 seconds or so.

2) On the way up in the plane you are strapped to your instructor. His crotch right up to your ass. Then as you are approaching the jump altitude, he pulls you even closer so you are literally full body contact. Around this point I asked the guy if he was happy with his life and family. I was worried he had problems at home and may want to end it all.

3) As we are about to jump the instructor asks me how I want to jump out the plane. Choices were face-forward, backward, or sideways. I said whatever you think is best. He told me backward is best because as you are falling out you can see the plane flying away. So I fell out backwards. Honestly, I don't remember seeing the plane. I had my eyes closed the first few seconds.

4) The fall down was awesome. But after you pull your parachute, it is eerily silent. I felt like I had to say something so I started talking to the instructor about why your ears pop. (I have a medical background).

5) I didn't pay the extra money to get the video made. I don't regret this either. In my opinion not many people don't want to watch a video of someone else skydiving. As long as you have the memory and experience it is all good.

I would recommend it to everyone.

From Google, "According to the United States Parachuting Association, there are an estimated 3 million jumps per year, and the fatality count is only 21 (for 2010). That's a 0.0007%chance of dying from a skydive, compared to a 0.0167% chance of dying in a car accident (based on driving 10,000 miles)."

My advice:

Make sure you have your junk in a comfortable position when they harness you. The ride down can be excruciating otherwise.

They always tell you to lift your feet high when youre landing. Its alot funnier for everyone else if you do the opposite. Drag your feet on the landing so you go face first into a pile on the ground.

how did you not have to jump tandem?

I'd jump solo but I'd probably be too busy on tinder to remember to pull the cord. if I remember youre a bigger dude lile me. How did it work tying yourself up to a little twink dude?

I feel like I'd crush him

You forget all about the guy strapped to you. I think my guy was a Willie Nelson impersonator. It's a wierd subculture with these sky divers, like surfers of the skies. This is what they do every day, and you could pretty much pick our instructors out of a crowd. "Some of these people are not like the others".

Oh, hell no....

My wife wants me to do a jump with her so badly. Tells me her boyfriend in college promised to take her, but they broke up before they could go. I tell her she should have stayed with him.

Anyway... How the eff would you two jump together. The quick class jumps, one is tethered to the instructor.

Just have her go alone.

Should we soon be merging this with the JSP thread?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I did a static line jump just over 20 years ago. No attached instructor, only 3-4000 feet up, chute starts to open as soon as you let go of the plane. There wasn't any real free-fall so I was disappointed in that. The most stressful part was struggling to gain altitude with 6 people packed in a Cessna. I enjoyed floating down in BFE, Ohio but it wasn't worth it. Would do the free fall w/ instructor if I decided to again. Bungee jumping was far more fun and exciting, IMO.

Another thing that surprised me was that it's somewhat difficult to get out of the plane face first. The wind is rushing by and kind of pushes you back into the plane. You have to make an effort to get out. I wondered why they were so comfortable with me sitting on a bench next to this giant opening in the side of the plane as we cruised above Georgia! It seemed a little sketchy to me.

I never sky-dived but my wife did before we met. It was a solo jump and I don't think she had to do a tandem first, but I could be wrong.

What struck me is she didn't just jump from the plane. Jump door was under the wing and she said she had to grab onto a pole under the wing and get a few feet away from the fuselage before dropping. Always though that sounded effed up.

Anyway... How the eff would you two jump together. The quick class jumps, one is tethered to the instructor.

Just have her go alone.

Should we soon be merging this with the JSP thread?

Obviously you don't understand women, so I'll help you out pal. She doesn't want to go sky diving! She's 36...would probably disclocate her hip on he way down! She wants to go ski diving with ME because it would be fun and special...

Women.