Truth is, Nobody Has a Clue What This Team Will Be Like

Here's my optimistic take. The shear fact that Rex and his mediocre style of coaching is gone should translate to 2 extra wins. Obviously TT has to turn that corner everyone talks about. Sammy has to stay healthy at all costs. One more injury from him and he'll be permanently damaged in the eyes of the NFL. Shady will be Shady, but if he gets one of those nagging hamstring issues then we have no legit backup @ RB. Switching back to the 4-3 will simplify and slightly improved this defense. I still have LB/ CB concerns. Our ST should be slightly improved without Carp. This is a 7-9 team more than capable of 9 wins but probably no more. This will not be a 4-5 win season unless TT, LM or SW go down.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact. and yes, that PI call on Robey still kind of upsets me.

Fact or fiction? - The Defense wasn't on the field for 2 of the Jaguars' TDs.

I get that you were trolling. I just wish you picked a better game as an example, because they exist and that one isn't one of them.

Yeah - that call is the kind of thing that irks me. How can they not have like... a guy in a booth to overrule a terrible call like that?

Allow me....

DOOOOOOOMED!

Clearly this team is going 19-0 with and average margin of victory of 75 pts and if anyone disagrees they clearly dont know the game or they have an agenda. That better? The blind committment to mediocrity continues and the players and owners and their bank accounts thank you.

This team for me is set up a lot like the late 1990's early 2000.s Pittsburgh Steelers when they had an elusive running quarterback named Kordell Stewart. When that teams defense was above average but not great, they were a middling team, hovering around 0.500 give or take a game. When their defense played really well, they were in the playoffs. They also had a HOFer in Jerome Bettis and beat many teams into submission with the ground game. It's true that nobody knows what this team will be like. Much of the unknown relates to whether the defense can be more than just average, which is exactly what it has been for the two years that Tyrod has been the signal caller. What I can say is that Taylor is a better QB than Stewart was in any year of his career in every measurable category, and that's without the benefit of having an every game guy like Hines Ward was. The best thing about being a fan is that we can hope. At a minimum, I can see a team that has changed dramatically from a player perspective even in just the last 5 years. Can anyone name other players besides Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus that were here then? How about anyone on the coaching staff, scouting teams? Saying that this team is the same as it's been for the last 16 years is idiotic.

I have a hard time seeing more than 6 wins this year with my gut telling me closer to 4 wins. I have no idea why I think that other than not having faith in Tyrod (that's it). I like our coach and GM and see talent in most other areas of the team. I think the last 16 years have really just beaten me down and the fact that the Patriots are supposed to be this "Super Team" just screams "not a chance in hell this year." I think most people in this type of mind-frame are the ones in tank mode and just see this year as going through the motions until we find that elusive franchise QB.

I'll be at every home game and love the tailgate more than ever and would love, more than anything, to be wrong about Tyrod. The reality of another 8-8 or 7-9 season is such an abrasive thought and a tough place to be in when so many other bottom dwellers are looking for QBs as well. Anyway, the people that are predicting terrible seasons love this team as much as anyone and those frustrations are obviously visible on a message board.

What if Tyrod turns the corner? I just can't see it after seeing his type of throws over the last two years but what the hell do I know (or anyone of us for that matter). Here's to the home opener and to that one thing we always try to cling on to year after year...hope.

Have faith. With the upgraded coaching staff, 9-7 does look realistic given the likelihood that some of the teams on our schedule are going to fall off from last year and not have as good of a season this year. Playoffs are unlikely but this will be a much better team under McD than they were under Wrecks & Co.

I have a hard time seeing more than 6 wins this year with my gut telling me closer to 4 wins. I have no idea why I think that other than not having faith in Tyrod (that's it). I like our coach and GM and see talent in most other areas of the team. I think the last 16 years have really just beaten me down and the fact that the Patriots are supposed to be this "Super Team" just screams "not a chance in hell this year." I think most people in this type of mind-frame are the ones in tank mode and just see this year as going through the motions until we find that elusive franchise QB.

I'll be at every home game and love the tailgate more than ever and would love, more than anything, to be wrong about Tyrod. The reality of another 8-8 or 7-9 season is such an abrasive thought and a tough place to be in when so many other bottom dwellers are looking for QBs as well. Anyway, the people that are predicting terrible seasons love this team as much as anyone and those frustrations are obviously visible on a message board.

What if Tyrod turns the corner? I just can't see it after seeing his type of throws over the last two years but what the hell do I know (or anyone of us for that matter). Here's to the home opener and to that one thing we always try to cling on to year after year...hope.

I think your prediction is low. I'd say 8 wins.

I think your evaluation of Tyrod is wrong. He's better than you say.

But I think the title to the thread is absolutely correct. We don't how McDermott will perform, we don't how his staff will perform, there are plenty of questions about Tyrod, about the receivers, about the defensive line, the linebackers, the defensive backfield. There are questions everywhere. We simply won't know what we have until November.

Clearly this team is going 19-0 with and average margin of victory of 75 pts and if anyone disagrees they clearly dont know the game or they have an agenda. That better? The blind committment to mediocrity continues and the players and owners and their bank accounts thank you.

So Billsnotmovinup should be your TSW name. :lol:

Yup. As we all know if you aren't completely down on this organization you must be a Pollyanna with sunshine, lollipops and rainbow-farting unicorns. Either or, nothing in between.

There is also blind commitment to pessimism.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Fact. and yes, that PI call on Robey still kind of upsets me.

Fact or fiction? - The Defense wasn't on the field for 2 of the Jaguars' TDs.

I get that you were trolling. I just wish you picked a better game as an example, because they exist and that one isn't one of them.

understood. Many other bad examples to choose from

Fact, but still we had the lead. :flirt:

Nothing would surprise me.

Part of me thinks this team comes out on fire.

Sitting pretty midway thru the season say 6-2, 5-3 before other teams figure us out and end up 4-4ish the rest of the way.

While another part could see us struggling to work out the kinks 3-5, 4-4 midway thru. While playing very competetive down the stretch but falling short in many close games.

Firing up the hype machine for 18-19 with the this team is very close talk

I think your prediction is low. I'd say 8 wins.

I think your evaluation of Tyrod is wrong. He's better than you say.

But I think the title to the thread is absolutely correct. We don't how McDermott will perform, we don't how his staff will perform, there are plenty of questions about Tyrod, about the receivers, about the defensive line, the linebackers, the defensive backfield. There are questions everywhere. We simply won't know what we have until November.

I think it is reasonable to state that the game day coaching will be much better.

I am always optimistic at the start of a season. Now I will be even more intrigued wanting to see what the offense and defense will look like. I am not expecting playoffs but I am not expecting an implosion either.

This roster is not bad like some think it may be. The problem is good depth. Hopefully the injury bug stays away for a change.

I agree, since according to overthecap, our Bills had the 3rd highest player turnover ratio in the NFL, and all mostly on the defensive side, with a new coach, and new OC/DC, there is little continuity to be able to say with assurity how we will perform this year

Yes, there is more continuity on the offensive side, especially on the O-line, TE, Shady, so some will claim will we have continue to have a dominant run game, but to me me when you change HC, OC, blocking schemes, there's no guarantee it will as effective as 2016

On the D side, there is no continuity whatsoever, which is wonderful considering how bad our run D was, its a good thing we have a new scheme, a new HC, new DC, but all this talk of being a top 10 D because we made those changes seems awfully premature - Look moving Hughes and Shag to the line should yield better results stopping the run, and I am excited about Ragland and Hodges in the lineup, there's a superb argument in claiming we should improve on being 30th, but top 10, sorry I don't think so, unless Ragland is a game changing player

And the least continuous group of players from 2016 to 2017 is our secondary, which by the way was the best unit of our D in 2016, finishing 21st or so vs the pass, obviously they were a liability vs the run, but the wholesale changeover results in a group with maybe the least starting experience in the entire NFL - It just doesn't breed confidence in 'top 10', its more like I hope the front 7 can apply enough pressure so we don;t get exposed while they learn the scheme and the game kind of transitional feeling....

I'm just saying there are so many player changes this year, its hard to project winning 10 games, in fact I think that's a low probability, at the same time there is enough continuity on offense that it seems unlikely we would only win 4-6, the majority opinion of this being a 7-9 win team makes logical sense

jc

Given how this team looked with Rex - how many wins do we think solid coaching (both from a game plan and, perhaps more importantly, and in-game decision-making POV) is worth? Two? Three?

We're also, for once, probably starting with two gimme wins courtesy of the Jets. Home vs Saints and Raiders also helps the cause.