Stories like this just make me sick

I am going to have to play Devil's advocate here.

And this is why we can't be great! In 1955, this is where the teachers would stick a kid when they weren't behaving. Maybe the kid did something bad, wrong? Little tike broke the rules? Maybe the couldn't sit still?

Come on! Roald Dahl would call it: "The Chokey. At least it didn't have nails and broken glass.

tenor.gif

"Featured in Matilda The Chokey is a very tall but narrow cupboard that is 10 inches square so no one can sit or squat in it. The Chokey is filled with broken glass sticking out in the walls with nails on the door and whoever wobbles will either be spiked by the glass or the nails. Miss Trunchbull uses this whenever the children break the rules and one of the victims is Hortensia, a girl who plays some tricks on the Trunchbull and she gets caught in the end. Sometimes kids are kept in there all day. In the movie Miss Trunchbull puts Matilda in The Chokey after she finds out that Mr. Wormwood is a scam artist."

Mother finds child locked in closet at home daycare

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2261289-mom-finds-child-locked-in-closet-at-home-daycare-3-arrested/

CBF

This is why REAL MOMS raise their own children and don't dump them at a daycare.If people lived a family driven priority lifestyle moms wouldn't get into debt and then claim "Today a household requires 2 paychecks".I know several families that made the decision to put their children first.They don'y have 2 new cars in the garage and a new home but the children sure are better for it.

This is why REAL MOMS raise their own children and don't dump them at a daycare.If people lived a family driven priority lifestyle moms wouldn't get into debt and then claim "Today a household requires 2 paychecks".I know several families that made the decision to put their children first.They don'y have 2 new cars in the garage and a new home but the children sure are better for it.

And they can cook and clean too...

My god

Please don't "shoehorn" people with silly comments... "Real Moms" ???

My wife has always worked, we have two children (15 & 19 now) and we are 500+ miles from the closest family. We never needed chidcare. One of us has always been home when needed. I work swing shift. She, straight days.

It was always like "two ships passing in the night."

People always ask: "How did we do it?" I always want to say: "Not being ph!#=ing lazy and selfish, looking to pawn off the children on others, family." Yet, I don't... I just say that we were blessed and very grateful for each other.

It's easier now, obviously @ 15 & 19. But, we are still there as parents should be!

Amazing ride, life, family independence... We'd have it no other way. Hard work and sleepless days/nights.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'll bite, this is such a ridiculous statement. My wife works, and is a real mom. We live a family driven life, we aren't in debt, we don't have 2 new cars and a new home. We both work so we can provide a better life for our son. We put him in school so he will learn to socially interact with other children his age and also to learn to function independently of mom and dad. So don't give me this real moms crap because it's ridiculous.

I actually think this could be blown way out of proportion. It may be bad, but it may be the case that the closet had proper air flow and they thought the kid could sleep better in a quiet dark spot. And some kids sleep better in their car seats.

I always find there are a lot more to these child endangerment stories that what is reported or in the police report.

Also, no parent is satisfied with daycare. Even with those he greatest daycares, every parent has issues. I remember being all fired up when we had our older daughter in daycare as a baby and they would put a blanket on her when she slept-- which is a big no-no for a baby under 1.

It is pretty messed up for "2017."

Yet, I am in your camp. Agree. Now the gov't, police are innvolved... Huge drain, clusterph#=! of a situation. Tax $$$ being spent.

Yet, I did make the comment above. My mother growing up, Catholic Schools, the Nuns would lock children in the closet for misbehaving, etc... If my mother was alive today, she'd tell you that's why she hated the dark.

Just saying... This stuff if effed up. But, are we all handling it the proper way? Where is the common sense when these issues arise?

And the ONLY answer is not to guilt people into being a "Real Mom". Sure, staying may work for many but, we crossed the two income Rubicon years ago.

I'll bite, this is such a ridiculous statement. My wife works, and is a real mom. We live a family driven life, we aren't in debt, we don't have 2 new cars and a new home. We both work so we can provide a better life for our son. We put him in school so he will learn to socially interact with other children his age and also to learn to function independently of mom and dad. So don't give me this real moms crap because it's ridiculous.

This!

You are probably blessed w/two great (& family driven) employers too!

Balancing the family driven equation needs that!

It is pretty messed up for "2017."

Yet, I am in your camp. Agree. Now the gov't, police are innvolved... Huge drain, clusterph#=! of a situation. Tax $$$ being spent.

Yet, I did make the comment above. My mother growing up, Catholic Schools, the Nuns would lock children in the closet for misbehaving, etc... If my mother was alive today, she'd tell you that's why she hated the dark.

Just saying... This stuff if effed up. But, are we all handling it the proper way? Where is the common sense when these issues arise?

And the ONLY answer is not to guilt people into being a "Real Mom". Sure, staying may work for many but, we crossed the two income Rubicon years ago.

This!

You are probably blessed w/two great (& family driven) employers too!

Balancing the family driven equation needs that!

We're both federal employees but it works!

in the 90's our kids baby sitter was 13. (her mom was 4 houses down)

Try that now and you get arrested.

People were idiots back then too.

We were at an Arts Festival on a hot day with our son and he was a bit cranky. Some older hag said that's child abuse I always left my children home. My wife's reply - Oh so you neglected your children. That shut her up.

A witch of a neighbor called Family Services saying we were abusing our kid because he was crying from teething.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

And they can cook and clean too...

My god

Yeah see, this is the problem.If someone suggests that a Mother should nurture and be there for a child then that is somehow demeaning to women, ridiculous.Just try and substantiate that a child is better off spending the majority of their day with a teenager at a daycare and then after being ''picked up" by a parent spending an hour or two a day before bedtime.Even an animal stays with their young until they are self sufficient.Wonder why teenagers today need to be medicated at record numbers? Think about it. The people that argue the strongest on this issue are arguing out of a position of guilt, pure and simple.

Yeah see, this is the problem.If someone suggests that a Mother should nurture and be there for a child then that is somehow demeaning to women, ridiculous.Just try and substantiate that a child is better off spending the majority of their day with a teenager at a daycare and then after being ''picked up" by a parent spending an hour or two a day before bedtime.Even an animal stays with their young until they are self sufficient.Wonder why teenagers today need to be medicated at record numbers? Think about it. The people that argue the strongest on this issue are arguing out of a position of guilt, pure and simple.

Ok for one, my son isn't with a teenager all day at daycare. My child is in great hands with teachers that care for him and teach him. The couple of hours you mention, it isn't about the time, it's about what you do with that time. and your last sentence is completely out of whack, I don't argue from a position of guilt, I argue from the position that your statement is hollow and has nothing to support it at all.

Ok for one, my son isn't with a teenager all day at daycare. My child is in great hands with teachers that care for him and teach him. The couple of hours you mention, it isn't about the time, it's about what you do with that time. and your last sentence is completely out of whack, I don't argue from a position of guilt, I argue from the position that your statement is hollow and has nothing to support it at all.

My statement is hollow? Really? So a child isn't better off by far being raised by a parent instead of a teacher?You really trying to make that argument?

Exactly!

"Here's 2 bucks, go play pinball... I gotta cash my check and talk to a few guys."

;-)

Man I guess I;m out of the mainstream today.I never brought my daughters to a bar and told them to go play.I think I understand who I'm dealing with here so I'm done.

My statement is hollow? Really? So a child isn't better off by far being raised by a parent instead of a teacher?You really trying to make that argument?

Show me where I said those words. Here I'll save you the time. I didn't. Your statement is hollow because you have zero facts that you've provided to back up your claims

Man I guess I;m out of the mainstream today.I never brought my daughters to a bar and told them to go play.I think I understand who I'm dealing with here so I'm done.

Buh Bye then

Such turrible parents we were

No video games at young ages and we sent them out in the yard and play with real people their age.

Guess what - early exposure of reality can be GOOD for child development.

All 3 of my kids made the Deans List multiple times. One has a Masters degree the other 2 have Bachelors degrees.

I feel so ashamed

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

While you are not a fan of this I will hold my true feeling back about your statement.

My wife and I have her parents watch our kids while we both work and I hardly think that makes her a bad mother.

In fact, she works so our kids can have a great life.

I certainly hope you don't think every parent who has their kids in daycare are horrible parents.

I know some mothers who are stay at home moms who have their kids go to day care one or two days a week so they have the opportunity to develop social skills and interact with other kids

CBF

Some of my favorite memories of my grandfather are him bringing me to the VFW bar when I was very young. He'd get me a 7-up and he'd drink a couple of buds and shoot the **** and tell stories with the other vets. He didn't tell stories like that around a lot of other people so I got to hear a lot of cool stuff about the Korean War and it helped teach me how to respect and socialize with the older generations.

Rolling my eyes. Now if that parent is @ the bar to 4am... Another story.

But a simple visit, for not long... Teaches self-control.

We are all products of what we live, learn, and see. Keeping children in a bubble is not good either.

Rolling my eyes. Now if that parent is @ the bar to 4am... Another story.

But a simple visit, for not long... Teaches self-control.

We are all products of what we live, learn, and see. Keeping children in a bubble is not good either.

Agreed. Well stated.

Nonsense.

You're argument is so basic and generic. Just because a mother takes her kids to daycare doesn't mean she's not there to nurture.

My wife is a stay-at-home mom, but I still think your "argument" is stupid.

Dumb discussion making me feel dumber...

oh reallllly

What if the family is abandon'd by the dad and the mom has to be the breadwinner and be both mom and dad....cuz you know there is a lot of that in the world?

Not every mom gets to be of the stay at home variety