It's Reggie Ragland time!!

I don't know what the hell Boyst is trying to type 99 percent of the time.

Saying Ragland COULD be a good LB is an easy thing to do. Tell me why you think that and from what you have seen makes you believe it.

He is a thumper, no doubt about it. If a running back comes

his way and he is clean it's going to be fun to watch. However, the rest of the time he will be exposed in coverage, space, zone, whatever you wish to call it. Any above average passing attack is going to make him and Preston Brown look like a couple of drunk muppets running around trying to find Ms. Piggy.

Like him or not, the board fell in a favorable way last season and this pick made zero sense. His injury in the preseason was basically fate pig piling on Doug Whaley. He is gone and IMO Ragland will soon follow.

As far as the Brandon Spikes comparison, he ran faster in a straight line but was slower in the 3 cone, that doesn't help his stock playing in the middle of McD's zone. Brandon Spikes is quicker than RR, I linked up some video of RR struggling to get to the outside against Jalen Hurd who is as big

as Laggarette Blount.

Another poster had a good point, who is the last Alabama player that came to the NFL and actually improved? That's not a knock on Saban and his guys, they maximize their talents and it should be a buyer beware scenario.

Ragland had 7 pbu's in '15. He's adequate in zone.He dont have Keuchly's skill set, but I have faith in McD and Frazier to maximize his own skillset. The kid can do it all, and do it well. He can play

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all....I have not made any derogatory statements about in any way......which is my new leaf I turned over some time ago....

I remain above personal attacks and will continue to do so.

"you are entitled too your opinion" a phrase you use constantly since turning over your "new leaf" reeks of a veiled derogatory "personal attack". In essence your opinions are far superior from your POV.... And always correct. Which is laughable since you're rarely correct. It's all speculation on the team, it's ownership, players and in particular the the new HC & GM. at this point from anyone here. Deal with it man. Edited by Best Player Available

The point that you're missing is that Ragland is an impact player. Is he going to miss some tackles?? yep, probably.

But because he loves to hit and hit hard he intimidates other players. He causes turnovers. He doesn't just make tackles. He tries to break people in half. He tries to break their will to play the game.

I thought he was a real standout player for Alabama, even amongst the many stud players that they have (and that is hard to do). He was the Captain of that 2015 Alabama team, which should tell you something.

He is supremely confident, aggressive, fearless, and very talented.

We are all looking forward to see what Ragland does.....but to say that NFL RBs or slot WRs are intimidated by someone who hasn't played a single down in the league is a bit much....We need to give Reggie some time to adapt to the speed of the game 1st.....then, he can worry about scaring vets....do you really think L. Bell, D. Johnson, D. Martin, A. Peterson, D. Freeman etc...are afraid to run at him ? Unless you were thinking about college players...if it's the case, we'll need to see a lot more for it to transfer to the NFL...

Edited by Iron Maiden

Standard football lingo with obvious meaning. You like green or red Kool Aid?

No it means just what it says.....what do you mean he is a 2nd round talent.

There are plenty of players with 1st round talent that end up getting drafted in the 2nd round for one reason or another.......was it just the way the draft fell? Was it because Reggie had the heart issue in his medical?

No it means just what it says.....what do you mean he is a 2nd round talent.

There are plenty of players with 1st round talent that end up getting drafted in the 2nd round for one reason or another.......was it just the way the draft fell? Was it because Reggie had the heart issue in his medical?

I hit on the biggest factors regarding Ragland and his availability in the second round. Plenty more detail there, but here's the jist:

He has good qualities and certainly produced at the college level, but he did not test all that well physically and he came from the Alabama program. His SPARQ scores were only in the 33rd percentile of all NFL players at his position (starters and backups included) and Bama is known for maximizing their players' potentials so he's probably pretty topped out developmentally. A player who is productive in college, but is below average physically isn't a 1st round pick. I'd even question spending a 2nd round pick on a player with below average measurables unless I thought there was a good reason they were inaccurate.

I hope Ragland is a quality player for the Bills, but I wasn't excited about the pick when it happened. He looked like a "2 down LB" to me pre 2016 draft. These days 2 down LBs aren't on the field two out of three plays, they're only on the field about 30% of the time. It's tough to justify spending the 10th pick of the 2nd round on a player that is on the field so little. But that's a sunk cost. He's on the team and I hope we get quality play out of him even if it's only in base, jumbo and goal line defensive packages. I think he'll be fine in that regard, but I'd like more out of a player picked where he was. He should be judged on how he plays, not against where he was drafted though. That's not in a player's control.

I hit on the biggest factors regarding Ragland and his availability in the second round. Plenty more detail there, but here's the jist:

He has good qualities and certainly produced at the college level, but he did not test all that well physically and he came from the Alabama program. His SPARQ scores were only in the 33rd percentile of all NFL players at his position (starters and backups included) and Bama is known for maximizing their players' potentials so he's probably pretty topped out developmentally. A player who is productive in college, but is below average physically isn't a 1st round pick. I'd even question spending a 2nd round pick on a player with below average measurables unless I thought there was a good reason they were inaccurate.

I hope Ragland is a quality player for the Bills, but I wasn't excited about the pick when it happened. He looked like a "2 down LB" to me pre 2016 draft. These days 2 down LBs aren't on the field two out of three plays, they're only on the field about 30% of the time. It's tough to justify spending the 10th pick of the 2nd round on a player that is on the field so little. But that's a sunk cost. He's on the team and I hope we get quality play out of him even if it's only in base, jumbo and goal line defensive packages. I think he'll be fine in that regard, but I'd like more out of a player picked where he was. He should be judged on how he plays, not against where he was drafted though. That's not in a player's control.

Thank you I do rememeber you posting that earlier

Here is the thing.....the Jets took a LB who was a incredible "athlete" in the 1st round recently....that kid has the size....speed....all of it

I cant even remember his name....and while I dont remember anyone calling him a bust nobody is saying he is very good either

I love Ragland's size....his physical make up.....the way he plays the game. Instincts trump speed if the difference is speed is not super significant.......

But....we didnt get a chance to see it last year. Here is to a productive year from Reggie

Edited by John from Hemet

Here is the thing.....the Jets took a LB who was a incredible "athlete" in the 1st round recently....that kid has the size....speed....all of it

I cant even remember his name....and while I dont remember anyone calling him a bust nobody is saying he is very good either

I love Ragland's size....his physical make up.....the way he plays the game. Instincts trump speed if the difference is speed is not super significant.......

But....we didnt get a chance to see it last year. Here is to a productive year from Reggie

daron Lee. Not in right osoition. Totally ridiculous to bring him up. Again, just avoid these topics. Its embarassing

Ragland hasnt played a down in the NFL coming off an ACL injury. Lawson coming off an injury as well and when he played at the end lf the year looked slow. Sorry if I am not as optimistic but I am going to wait and see on these 2.

+ 1

Yes, let's see if he can make it through training camp and play a few downs first please.

The higher you draft a player, the more of both you'd want that player to be. It'd just as big of a mistake to highly draft a workout warrior that isn't a good football as it is to take a guy who is a great college player but doesn't have the physical ability to succeed in the NFL. Ragland's physical traits are a bit below the NFL average, but that doesn't mean they are terrible or that he won't make it in the league. It's important to distinguish between criticizing a GM for drafting a player too early or paying a player too much versus criticizing a player or calling one out as a bust. Players are drafted and paid based on educated guesses and virtually every one will either overperform or underperform their draft position or contract. GMs should be judged on how well they execute on those guesses, players on well they play. I don't think Whaley made a good guess with Ragland, but we have yet to see how good of a player he will be. Here's hoping he exceeds expectations.

The higher you draft a player, the more of both you'd want that player to be. It'd just as big of a mistake to highly draft a workout warrior that isn't a good football as it is to take a guy who is a great college player but doesn't have the physical ability to succeed in the NFL. Ragland's physical traits are a bit below the NFL average, but that doesn't mean they are terrible or that he won't make it in the league. It's important to distinguish between criticizing a GM for drafting a player too early or paying a player too much versus criticizing a player or calling one out as a bust. Players are drafted and paid based on educated guesses and virtually every one will either overperform or underperform their draft position or contract. GMs should be judged on how well they execute on those guesses, players on well they play. I don't think Whaley made a good guess with Ragland, but we have yet to see how good of a player he will be. Here's hoping he exceeds expectations.

Is it not clear as a bell that Rex is the one who desired Ragland and Whaley may or may not have agreed?

Rex's track record tells us what to expect. Anything out of Ragland is a bonus.

I look forward to Ragland learning the Defense and then playing instinctually. This might be his best trait to be developed. And then he can hit.

Very optimistic if he returns to full health.

Zone d will also help him in the unders and short area pass game

"you are entitled too your opinion" a phrase you use constantly since turning over your "new leaf" reeks of a veiled derogatory "personal attack". In essence your opinions are far superior from your POV.... And always correct. Which is laughable since you're rarely correct. It's all speculation on the team, it's ownership, players and in particular the the new HC & GM. at this point from anyone here. Deal with it man.

You are interpreting what I am saying when I say that? So telling someone they are entitled to their opinion is a "personal attack"?

What the hell is wrong with you. If I tell you to have a nice day day am I telling you to have a crappy day because that is how you want to take it? You cant just take it at face value?

but hey....the guy that comes out and intentionally just starts name calling......I mean because he is so honest in his attack that is just a feather in his cap I guess.

Omg

me on ragland.

giphy.gif

the guy was pulled from the biggest game of his career. he has yet to play an nfl down

lets not ointment him as the best ever.

But that is what most Bills fans do. Every player on the roster is like the best or one of the best even the camp bodies.

I look forward to Ragland learning the Defense and then playing instinctually. This might be his best trait to be developed. And then he can hit.

Very optimistic if he returns to full health.

Zone d will also help him in the unders and short area pass game

this is a post I can respect and tend to agree with. defense over all should be something to look forward to this season and hopefully beyond 3rdand12...