Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Buffalo News...

Kinda explains the cold-shoulder to guys like Maclin and Decker... I personally don't think Darnold or Rosen are worth it.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/24/jay-skurskis-bills-mailbag-buffalo-super-bowl-one-day-charles-clay-get-cut-controls-53-man-roster-anyway/

This bleacher report piece is pre-training camp June space filler material with no substance for any serious consideration with regard to the Bills and their offseason moves where they have acquired players to make up for many of the losses to the roster. Next!

I don't see this team as Tanking right now. The are still good enough to win games and havent gutted there roster anymore then most teams would under a new coaching staff. Just because they didn't go hard after Decker or Maclin doesn't mean they are throwing the season to get the #1 overall pick, they may just not see the value in paying the price for those WRs, especially if the plan is similar to the last offence where the bulk of it is in the running game (which it appears from their moves it is)

Now the jets, what they appear to be doing is tanking the season

I don't think the writer knows what "tanking" means (see 2011 Colts/current Jets)

The Bills are doing what he says: straightening out the salary cap by not spending recklessly or putting too much money into the future, collecting

draft capital (the extra 1st next year to grab a QB), etc. But all of that is exactly what Beane and McDermott have been saying...we are trying to

win now, but not by sacrificing being able to have sustained success into the future. That is not tanking, that is being smart with a team in a bit of a

transition.

If they were tanking they wouldn't have brought back Tyrod. Unfortunately what we are doing is worse. We are shooting for mediocrity. We are in the same place we have been for 20 years: Hoping beyond hope we MAYBE make a wild card if we have a miracle season and all of the cards fall right. The Bills are a case study for how not to run a franchise. If you are bad then be bad and get good draft picks and rebuild. If you are good then go for the Super Bowl. There should be no in between. Living in the in between is why we have been so bad for so many years.

I don't see this team as Tanking right now. The are still good enough to win games and havent gutted there roster anymore then most teams would under a new coaching staff. Just because they didn't go hard after Decker or Maclin doesn't mean they are throwing the season to get the #1 overall pick, they may just not see the value in paying the price for those WRs, especially if the plan is similar to the last offence where the bulk of it is in the running game (which it appears from their moves it is)

Now the jets, what they appear to be doing is tanking the season

The Jets are the King of Tanks. That scares me a bit.

From the Buffalo News...

Kinda explains the cold-shoulder to guys like Maclin and Decker... I personally don't think Darnold or Rosen are worth it.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/24/jay-skurskis-bills-mailbag-buffalo-super-bowl-one-day-charles-clay-get-cut-controls-53-man-roster-anyway/

You don't think Darnold is worth it? Bills fans would sell their souls to Satan himself for the chance to wear a Darnold jersey on Sundays for the next 10 to 15 years.

If they were tanking they wouldn't have brought back Tyrod. Unfortunately what we are doing is worse. We are shooting for mediocrity. We are in the same place we have been for 20 years: Hoping beyond hope we MAYBE make a wild card if we have a miracle season and all of the cards fall right. The Bills are a case study for how not to run a franchise. If you are bad then be bad and get good draft picks and rebuild. If you are good then go for the Super Bowl. There should be no in between. Living in the in between is why we have been so bad for so many years.

How is being bad working out for Cleveland? And if you're the worst team in the league and there's not a franchise quarterback available in the draft, you're not going to get better.

I hear that, but I think that applies more to basketball than it does football. In basketball the success rate of players outside many times the top 2 or 3 in a draft is unlikely. That is especially true if you are talking super stars, which is needed if you want a chance at a title.

NFL is different, and while the rookie salary slotting helped, having late first round picks seem to be more valuable. Of course that could be because having good players across a roster means you pick later in the first. Problem with tanking by gutting your roster in the nfl is average careers are so short, that you might waste much of your high draft picks' primes while rebuilding the rest, though the new economy of the nfl allows you to find cheap highly effective veterans readily available.

Still, if you are tanking, I think the browns current route of trading down, stocking assets to allow huge number of picks over two or three drafts, and build an entire team that way could work...but again the bust rate is really high.

Just not buying it....

You want to see a tank job....look at the jets

We dont have interest in Decker because we ALREADY have decker type players in holmes and streeter

And Maclin? To me this shows that they want to bring in players at the right price and not overpay at WR because we got the Watkins contract to deal with in the near future

If he shows he can stay healthy this year? I think the bills push hard to get him extended outright rather then tagging him...but will totally tag him as a last resort. They just want to make sure he is healthy

Maclin is NOT a number one......

Edited by John from Hemet

Just not buying it....

You want to see a tank job....look at the jets

We dont have interest in Decker because we ALREADY have decker type players in holmes and streeter

And Maclin? To me this shows that they want to bring in players at the right price and not overpay at WR because we got the Watkins contract to deal with in the near future

If he shows he can stay healthy this year? I think the bills push hard to get him extended outright rather then tagging him...but will totally tag him as a last resort. They just want to make sure he is healthy

Maclin is NOT a number one......

I fear the Jets getting the next great QB. That is nightmare stuff! And they are primed to pull it off.

From the Buffalo News...

Darnold is worth it.

About time we made a top 5 list :D

If we were really tanking we would ha e let Tyrod go and traded shady.

I think Decker is way better than Holmes and Streater. I get that is different from being the same type of player, but that's like saying a team doesn't want DeSean Jackson because they have Roscoe Parrish, assuming Jackson and Parrish are the same type.

I think Decker is way better than Holmes and Streater. I get that is different from being the same type of player, but that's like saying a team doesn't want DeSean Jackson because they have Roscoe Parrish, assuming Jackson and Parrish are the same type.

I realize that but I am also taking cost into consideration because we are talking about the 3rd WR......sammy is the clear cut number 2....Zay Jones is 2.....and Holmes is the 3 (I dont even know if streeter makes the team)

behind the you have phili jones and tate.....

I'd hate to see it, but the fact is, a thorough tanking SHOULD put us in BUSINESS by say, 2019-2020..

That, of course is assuming we do it for a franchise talent at QB... DT looks like the next big issue.... Dareus can't be counted on 100% due to off-the -field crap, and KW is reeling in the years.... If you tank good, and proper this season, you can fill this roster with 1st-2nd round talent... I don't like it a whole lot, but it sounds like a good business decision..