Need help finding/selecting a Lawnmower

The Jokeman

So after years of apartment living I've finally took the step of buying a house which of course brings on new excitement and of course one of the first things I need to purchase is a lawnmower. I'm looking for something light that either mulches and/or bags for me and preferably cordless. I'm also thinking of a push button start in case I ever need the girlfriend to use it. Any suggestions?

Edited by The Jokeman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a Honda HRR series mower last year when we bought our house. I live in the city and have a small lawn so it's perfect. Has mulch/bag options and is self propelled. So far has been great for me.

Unfortunately doesn't have a push start for the significant other, but starts up easily for me every time.

Picked up this Honda last year after surveying some people like you are:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643

Doesn't have the push button but my wife hasn't had any problems starting it, though to be fair she hasn't mowed much.

Also like everyone else has mentioned Honda seems to be the way to go for mowers according to most.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643

Doesn't have the push button but my wife hasn't had any problems starting it, though to be fair she hasn't mowed much.

Also like everyone else has mentioned Honda seems to be the way to go for mowers according to most.

You need to work on that.

Ya, that's the same one I got last year. Gets the job done and doesn't break the bank.

You need to work on that.

You have any advice?

Something along the lines of "because I'm the man and you're the woman and I make the decisions regarding my life." doesn't work.

Tried it once after it seemed to work so well for Matt Guitar Murphy on Aretha Franklin in the Blues Brothers but it didn't work out the same way for me, and not just because my wife didn't break out in song either.

Edited by Metal Man

We had a self propelled mulching mower as a kid. I wrote my friends name with it in his front yard. It turned a much deeper green and grew faster than the rest of the yard. They work! Then his father made me cut his whole front yard with it. That was a fail... :(

Over 40 years later and my sister still uses that mower in Wisconsin (for those 3 weeks they can grow grass).

FWIW.

I bought a Toro with a Brigs and Stratton engine in 2009.

It's still going strong. Other than a busted drive cable last fall.

I did upgrade to a John Deere D105 because I find it more enjoyable riding in 90 deg temps than walking behind a mower for an hour in 90 deg temps

My yard is just over 30 by 30.

Got this husqvarna at Loews for like $150 because someone returned it. It is great for hills!! If you have hills, I would highly recommend a AWD or rear wheel drive. Used to have a Toro "push at your own pace" and it was brutal

On hills.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-LC221A-163cc-21-in-Self-Propelled-All-Wheel-Drive-Residential-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability/1000179617?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-WalkBehindMowers-_-1000179617:Husqvarna&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000179617&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2247&k_clickID=0eac0b00-062a-4d6a-8894-4f01c47876ab&gclid=CJ2PjaaludQCFRmBswodlyACLA

Got a Husq. from Amazon, with a Honda engine. It's fine.