Need help finding/selecting a Lawnmower

The Jokeman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this husqvarna at Loews for like $150 because someone returned it. It is great for hills!! If you have hills, I would highly recommend a AWD or rear wheel drive. Used to have a Toro "push at your own pace" and it was brutal

On hills.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-LC221A-163cc-21-in-Self-Propelled-All-Wheel-Drive-Residential-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability/1000179617?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-WalkBehindMowers-_-1000179617:Husqvarna&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000179617&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2247&k_clickID=0eac0b00-062a-4d6a-8894-4f01c47876ab&gclid=CJ2PjaaludQCFRmBswodlyACLA

I like front wheels propelled (20 year old Craftsman)... Even on hills. You can pivot machine on back wheels, lift up front, etc... In tight spots... Back up on rear wheels, etc... Without releasing the drive handle.

Much more versatile, front wheel drive.

Just keep in mind all lawn mowers fall apart in 2-3 years.

No they don't. Mine is going on 20. Sure you gotta repair time to time. And I beat on my lawn mower. Just clean it everytime. Keep air filter clean. Run it out of fuel each time when mowing. Keep it stored topped off, except during winter. 20+ seasons on my Craftsman.

Just don't cut it and one of your neighbors will do it for you.

That is what I do for my neighbors... If I mow, I do the front for them. When they mow, they cut my front lawn. None of that line down the middle BS. Same w/snow shoveling too.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

May I offer a suggestion? Stop buying cheap ones.

As I posted yesterday, my Toro w/B&S engine is 8 years old and it still starts on the first pull.

I like front wheels propelled (20 year old Craftsman)... Even on hills. You can pivot machine on back wheels, lift up front, etc... In tight spots... Back up on rear wheels, etc... Without releasing the drive handle.

Yup. Keep the drive bar in place lift and pull back, drop and go,

Left my rider mower behind when we moved from Princeton. New house has a much smaller yard. I got an eGO from Home Depot. It's self-propelled and does a decent job. Battery charges in about half an hour and lasts through a cutting of the full lawn. The height adjusts easily with a single lever, and you can change the speed that it drives at pretty easily. It's different though, and seems to cut a bit unevenly. But that might just be the lawn. It's new sod and a bit uneven in places. The thing I don't like is the mower cost $500, but the replacement batter costs about $450. :w00t: Might consider buying a new lawn mower when this battery craps out.

Left my rider mower behind when we moved from Princeton. New house has a much smaller yard. I got an eGO from Home Depot. It's self-propelled and does a decent job. Battery charges in about half an hour and lasts through a cutting of the full lawn. The height adjusts easily with a single lever, and you can change the speed that it drives at pretty easily. It's different though, and seems to cut a bit unevenly. But that might just be the lawn. It's new sod and a bit uneven in places. The thing I don't like is the mower cost $500, but the replacement batter costs about $450. :w00t: Might consider buying a new lawn mower when this battery craps out.

What's a "full lawn"? 10 x 10, 20 x 20, or 30 x 30?

Never buy a box store mower. Lowes and home depot are terrible even if they say john Deere etc. They're not really john Deere.

Cub cadet is the best mower out there. Kubota makes a great zero turn diesel.

I'll bet the replacement cost of new batteries (after a few years) will be 80% of the cost of the mower.

Never buy a box store mower. Lowes and home depot are terrible even if they say john Deere etc. They're not really john Deere.

Cub cadet is the best mower out there. Kubota makes a great zero turn diesel.

Funny, mine is John Deere Green and is says on the Mosel and SN label

DEERE & COMPANY MOLINE ILLINOIS,

ASSEMBLED in U.S.A.

My neighbors Cub cadet lasted 4 years before they replaced it.

When we first got our house I thought it would be nice to get a cordless mower. Our lawn isn't to large and I really liked the idea of no cord or gas to mess with. I have to say even with our smallish lawn the cordless mower isn't that great. If you have any thick areas to cut this thing will bog down. It was one of the best ones out there when I got it maybe 2 years ago. Right now we have a service do our yard but if I started to do my own again I would get rid of the cordless and get a gas one. Here is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YK4V04/ref=asc_df_B002YK4V045028597/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002YK4V04&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167148561991&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1342312558024850421&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031981&hvtargid=pla-340569371404

Nobody does it better than doing the lawn yourself. You won't get it manicured and bagged, etc... This time of season, I will mulch, but bag other times. Services simply don't take their time. And, rightly so, they are out to make $$$ and fast. My 20 year A/C would have grass all in the cooling fins, etc... No thank you. Even if I can't get to it right away... I'd rather let it grow for month and have it done nice.

I just do it myself. Done "right" & clean. :-)

Nobody does it better than doing the lawn yourself. You won't get it manicured and bagged, etc... This time of season, I will mulch, but bag other times. Services simply don't take their time. And, rightly so, they are out to make $$$ and fast. My 20 year A/C would have grass all in the cooling fins, etc... No thank you. Even if I can't get to it right away... I'd rather let it grow for month and have it done nice.

I just do it myself. Done "right" & clean. :-)

I don't mind cutting the lawn. I just despise weeding. Absolutely hate it. But you are right. When I looked after it it was much better.

I don't mind cutting the lawn. I just despise weeding. Absolutely hate it. But you are right. When I looked after it it was much better.

If it weren't for weeds, I wouldn't have a back "lawn". We are having the entire back yard re-done now, and this will be the last time I try to grow grass back there in our tiny and shaded yard.

If it weren't for weeds, I wouldn't have a back "lawn". We are having the entire back yard re-done now, and this will be the last time I try to grow grass back there in our tiny and shaded yard.

Do you back onto a field? We do and the weeds from the field blow in and give us more weeds. We actually got our lawn guy to cut the long grass and weeds back 25 feet beyond our fence. He hit it with round up as well.

As others have said, not so. I'm a Craftsman fan. My old Craftsman walk behind was 18 years old before it finally needed more than just tuning and blades sharpened. I'm still sorry I put it out on the curb with a 'Free' sign on it rather than have it fixed. My newer Craftsman walk behind is a self-propelled model from 2010. It had its first "professional" tune up (ie, not my simple oil change/new spark plug/have blade sharpened) this past spring. My Craftsman lawn tractor is 18 years old, and aside from about $300 worth of work done to the starter mechanism a few years ago, it's never missed a beat in all that time except for twice when careless drivers ran over things and bent blades. I use it regularly to mow my backyard as well as the large backyards of three elderly neighbors who have only walk behinds. For a couple of years, I used to haul it out to the camp every two or three weeks to mow the 2 acres of lawn we had out there.

Do you back onto a field? We do and the weeds from the field blow in and give us more weeds. We actually got our lawn guy to cut the long grass and weeds back 25 feet beyond our fence. He hit it with round up as well.

We back up to a big neglected lawn occupied by renters. They don't care at all. This is the last time we will do sod back there!