Maclin or Decker? (If you could choose)

Sammy has been on the field for 77% of his career games. Never is 0%. A more accurate way to put it would be "our number 1 is only on the field for just over 3/4ths of the games."

I think the idea that Sammy "never" plays just proves how it's a "what have you done lately" league in the eyes of fans. In reality the story of Sammy's career has yet to be written. If he is sidelined for a majority of the upcoming season then the injury prone label won't be inaccurate. If he stays on the field this season and is productive the label should fade.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy has been on the field for 77% of his career games. Never is 0%. A more accurate way to put it would be "our number 1 is only on the field for just over 3/4ths of the games."

You can be on the field for most of the games and still be impaired as a player. I consider him to be a special talent. He needs to be smarter about his training regimen and more prudent about how he prepares. Training hard and going full throttle doesn't always mean that you are properly preparing yourself under your current physical condition.

I think the idea that Sammy "never" plays just proves how it's a "what have you done lately" league in the eyes of fans. In reality the story of Sammy's career has yet to be written. If he is sidelined for a majority of the upcoming season then the injury prone label won't be inaccurate. If he stays on the field this season and is productive the label should fade.

Totally agree

You can be on the field for most of the games and still be impaired as a player. I consider him to be a special talent. He needs to be smarter about his training regimen and more prudent about how he prepares. Training hard and going full throttle doesn't always mean that you are properly preparing yourself under your current physical condition.

Agree here too, I was just responding to "never on the field."

I haven't seen the same explosiveness from Sammy that he showed at Clemson. I'm aware that he's up against NFL defenses, but something has always seemed "off". Sammy seemed to have more of a burst in college. He also didn't shy away from contact, and he competed intensely for the 50/50 balls. I'm not sure he's ever been completely healthy here. Sammy's meeting with Shazier during his rookie year was followed by a string of injury troubles.

I haven't seen the same explosiveness from Sammy that he showed at Clemson. I'm aware that he's up against NFL defenses, but something has always seemed "off". Sammy seemed to have more of a burst in college. He also didn't shy away from contact, and he competed intensely for the 50/50 balls. I'm not sure he's ever been completely healthy here. Sammy's meeting with Shazier during his rookie year was followed by a string of injury troubles.

I agree with you that Sammy is not the same player that he was with Clemson. Just think that if he is good while being plagued with the foot injury how good can he be when fully healthy?

I always understood why Whaley coveted Watkins to the extent that he was willing to give up an additional first round pick in a receiver draft rich year. My criticism of the move was that the Bills didn't have the caliber of qb to maximize his talents. In my estimation when completely healthy that Watson although not as good as Julio Jones but near the same elite category of the Falcon receiver who has Matt Ryan throwing to him.

I hate to give the easy answer, but I think they are equal. You are probably going to get about the same from both guys. The only downside with Decker is his wife. That trashy princess won't want to come here.

the only downside is that they are both on the downsides of their careers.

BOTH... What are we waiting for?

-Take it easy on ED and JM during TC... Make sure they're available on Day 1. -Add Sammy and we OWN the Pats 2ndary. (Everyone else's too.)

OVERKILL WORKS. -Let's go the playoffs already.

The MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Jets have had Eric Decker trade talks with the Ravens.

Breer reports the Jets have also had talks with other teams. The Jets are trying to get something for Decker before simply cutting him loose. The Ravens might be content to wait Gang Green out, as no other suitors have been officially reported. The Ravens, who just hosted free agent Jeremy Maclin for a visit, badly need receiving help. Decker would instantly be the No. 1.
Jun 8 - 5:41 PM

Free agent Jeremy Maclin left his Ravens visit without a contract.

Per coach John Harbaugh, Maclin had a wedding to attend. Maclin has visited the Bills and Ravens. Harbaugh said the receiver wants some time to make a decision. It's unclear if he has lined up any more visits.
Jun 8 - 2:28 PM
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Fair enough- out of that 77 percent I wonder how many snaps or percentage of snaps he has played? Does he have number 1 talent? Sure, all day long. That said this is a production league and hopefully he can stay healthy and produce more. The history on him shows he is not durable so why not have a second number 1 opposite him, imo.

Fair enough- out of that 77 percent I wonder how many snaps or percentage of snaps he has played? Does he have number 1 talent? Sure, all day long. That said this is a production league and hopefully he can stay healthy and produce more. The history on him shows he is not durable so why not have a second number 1 opposite him, imo.

He's played 70.2% of the offensive snaps that the Bills have had over the last 3 years (2,122 of 3,021 plays).

He's played 70.2% of the offensive snaps that the Bills have had over the last 3 years (2,122 of 3,021 plays).

You bring up an intriguing question with your stat on his playing time. If he plays and receives increased targets and plays well to very well will the wrestling coach consider him to be an elite receiver worthy of what an elite receiver gets? As DriveFor1out5 points out so far he doesn't seem to be the same type of explosive player he was in college.

I get the sense that this new regime will not be afraid to make the cold-blooded Belickian football/contract decisions. That point was illustrated by the franchise not making a tender to Watkins as most of the other players in his draft year received. Without a doubt this is an important year for Watkins in making a determination of his status with the team.

You bring up an intriguing question with your stat on his playing time. If he plays and receives increased targets and plays well to very well will the wrestling coach consider him to be an elite receiver worthy of what an elite receiver gets? As DriveFor1out5 points out so far he doesn't seem to be the same type of explosive player he was in college.

I get the sense that this new regime will not be afraid to make the cold-blooded Belickian football/contract decisions. That point was illustrated by the franchise not making a tender to Watkins as most of the other players in his draft year received. Without a doubt this is an important year for Watkins in making a determination of his status with the team.

I think that his production is based completely on targets. If the Bills run 1,070 plays this year, as an example and throw 55% of the time (bottom 5 in the league) that's 589 pass attempts. If we use 70.2% of those offensive plays and pass plays we are looking at 751 plays and 414 pass plays. Now that's probably a little off because he will play a higher percentage of passing plays than overall plays (as an example he will be out in short yardage at times). It's probably fair to use those though. The Bills will need Watkins on the field though for more than 414 of 589 pass attempts.

If we do use 589 pass plays though, how often should Maclin be targeted? I have used 9 times a game. If we apply that same 70.2% of snaps to Watkins to that we have 101 targets. Based on his career numbers we are looking at 56 catches, 901 yards, 6 TDs. The Bills need him on the field for about 90% of their passing plays.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Decker. For the Bills, it's not even close. The Bills have been most effective when Tyrod gives his WRs an opportunity to make a play. We saw Sammy destroy some defenses with Tyrod just getting the ball near him leaving the rest to Sammy's athleticism. Decker is no Sammy athletically, but he's big and he can haul in those less-than-perfectly-accurate passes. The Bills have been hurting for a big WR for years. Even a waiver wire mediocrity like Justin Hunter showed us how valuable it is to have that big guy. Right now, that would be a spot that may be filled by Zay Jones, but he's a rookie and an unknown quantity. Anyone recall Decker killing us with Fitzy throwing bombs to him on a September Thursday evening last year? And take a look back and you'll see a few examples of Decker burning the great Stephon Gilmore too ... it would be worth signing Decker just to see that happen again.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

For those saying Decker because he's a big-bodied WR that we don't have: what about the 6'4" 210 Andre Holmes? Compares favorably to the 6'3" 214 Decker. Not saying the talent-level is the same, but why can't Taylor find Holmes with a similar consistency that he found the 6'4" 201 Justin Hunter? I'd take 4 TDs from Holmes.

Plus, it's not like the 6'2" 201 Zay Jones or the 6'1" 205 Sammy Watkins are all that small. Even the 6' 198 Maclin is at least average size.

For those saying Decker because he's a big-bodied WR that we don't have: what about the 6'4" 210 Andre Holmes? Compares favorably to the 6'3" 214 Decker. Not saying the talent-level is the same, but why can't Taylor find Holmes with a similar consistency that he found the 6'4" 201 Justin Hunter? I'd take 4 TDs from Holmes.

Plus, it's not like the 6'2" 201 Zay Jones or the 6'1" 205 Sammy Watkins are all that small. Even the 6' 198 Maclin is at least average size.

Decent point, but ... you're right that Holmes doesn't have Decker's level of talent. And Zay Jones is very much an unknown quantity. I actually see no reason to believe right now that he will be better than a Justin Hunter, who was, after all, a 1st round draft pick with a better resume than Jones just a few years ago. Fans always seem to prefer the new version and expect better results based more on wishful thinking than anything objective.