You guys know anybody

Sounds like me. I can't recall the last time I interacted with people socially that wasn't work- or family-related. And frankly, I like it that way.

Best I heard it explained is that there's introverts and extroverts: extroverts find being alone tiring, and being with people refreshing. Introverts find being with people tiring, and being alone refreshing. I'm definitely an introvert - socializing is exhausting to me, and always has been (as a kindergartener I would have easily been considered autisic by current diagnostic standards). A lot of people think that's "wrong" and I need to be repaired somehow. It's not. It's just who I am, and who I've always been since I was three, and since I'm functional it's not a problem.

Which is really what people don't understand about behavior: there's no "normal" behavior, per se. There's functional, and non-functional. As unpopular a philosophy as this is nowadays...whatever your behavior, if you function in everyday life...then it's "normal" behavior.

As someone who is in the "bidness," I can say that there is a great deal of over-pathologizing in the medical and mental health community of "symptoms" or diagnostic criteria. Sloppy science.

I see this, in particular, with ASD, ADHD and mood disorders.

...and then you see a 12 year old that is on a mood stabilizer, a stimulant, two anti-psychotics, and a sedative to sleep at night. Crazy business.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who is in the "bidness," I can say that there is a great deal of over-pathologizing in the medical and mental health community of "symptoms" or diagnostic criteria. Sloppy science.

I see this, in particular, with ASD, ADHD and mood disorders.

...and then you see a 12 year old that is on a mood stabilizer, a stimulant, two anti-psychotics, and a sedative to sleep at night. Crazy business.

I'm no doctor, but it seems crazy to me to put children on mood altering drugs when their brains and bodies are still developing. I think a lot of parents see it as an eady way out. "My kid is a pain in the ass, so he/she must have adhd" Easier to give them some Riddlin than anything else. Kids are kids and most of them are a pain in the ass at some point or another. Personally, medication is a last resort. Edited by RaoulDuke79

Sounds like me. I can't recall the last time I interacted with people socially that wasn't work- or family-related. And frankly, I like it that way.

Best I heard it explained is that there's introverts and extroverts: extroverts find being alone tiring, and being with people refreshing. Introverts find being with people tiring, and being alone refreshing. I'm definitely an introvert - socializing is exhausting to me, and always has been (as a kindergartener I would have easily been considered autisic by current diagnostic standards). A lot of people think that's "wrong" and I need to be repaired somehow. It's not. It's just who I am, and who I've always been since I was three, and since I'm functional it's not a problem.

Which is really what people don't understand about behavior: there's no "normal" behavior, per se. There's functional, and non-functional. As unpopular a philosophy as this is nowadays...whatever your behavior, if you function in everyday life...then it's "normal" behavior.

You will do lunch with me one of these days.

You will do lunch with me one of these days.

I have lunch with my wife last week. We were trying to remember the last time we had lunch together...I think it was around 2011.

What chance do you think you have?

I have lunch with my wife last week. We were trying to remember the last time we had lunch together...I think it was around 2011.

What chance do you think you have?

100% chance.

That doesnt have any friends or is a big time loner? I have a coworker who is just that. I really like the guy, great worker and an all around great guy with an awesome personality. He takes a few vacations a year from work and when I ask him what he did he tells me I never leave my house. I just sit at home and relax and he does that all the time on his days off. I did a few things with him a couple times outside of work, actually got him to go for a walk down to the park and back. Its hard to get him to want to do things though as he battles depression problems. I feel bad for him. He really hasnt left this area either to go out of town in years, possibly a decade or more. Heck going an hour out of town would be a huge vacation for him. You know anyone like this guy I know.

You know that just guarantees I will do everything in my power to make sure it never happens, just to make you wrong?

Maybe he plans on both of you living......a very, very long time. What if you're the only 2 left?

(Besides of course, the obligatory maitre d, sommelier, servers, bus boys, head chef, sous chef, etc. Even if you're the last people on earth, you will need some help.)

Edited by Augie

half the board?

:flirt:

:thumbsup:

I'm comfortable reading a book or playing a game.

Less distractions as too many little things can set a conversation the wrong way when in a group situation.

No politics (which is impossible) or talk of religion.

It could be depression, or a from of Autism or Asperger's where people are not comfortable in group settings.

Autistic people are comfortable in their familiar environment.

I read a T Shirt once ....

I may be in my own world but hey they know me here

You know that just guarantees I will do everything in my power to make sure it never happens, just to make you wrong?

Found this for you.

e2hi7a-l-610x610-t-shirt-text-print-cust

That doesnt have any friends or is a big time loner? I have a coworker who is just that. I really like the guy, great worker and an all around great guy with an awesome personality. He takes a few vacations a year from work and when I ask him what he did he tells me I never leave my house. I just sit at home and relax and he does that all the time on his days off. I did a few things with him a couple times outside of work, actually got him to go for a walk down to the park and back. Its hard to get him to want to do things though as he battles depression problems. I feel bad for him. He really hasnt left this area either to go out of town in years, possibly a decade or more. Heck going an hour out of town would be a huge vacation for him. You know anyone like this guy I know.

In my first job there was such a person, my cubicle mate. He basically did nothing outside of work and home other than go shopping. At work he would always eat lunch and almost always same thing. In meetings he would be there first to so he could sit in opposite corner. In required events he would go but basically keep to himself and leave as soon as possible. Nice guy if you could get him to talk to you.

Am I the only one that read the OP this way?

Dear Penthouse,

I never thought I'd be writing to Penthouse Forum but I have this co-worker...............

This does not have the same "happy ending".

If people are happy that way, leave them alone. Happy and healthy is the goal. If it's some kind of depression, you hope they find help.