You guys know anybody

That doesnt have any friends or is a big time loner? I have a coworker who is just that. I really like the guy, great worker and an all around great guy with an awesome personality. He takes a few vacations a year from work and when I ask him what he did he tells me I never leave my house. I just sit at home and relax and he does that all the time on his days off. I did a few things with him a couple times outside of work, actually got him to go for a walk down to the park and back. Its hard to get him to want to do things though as he battles depression problems. I feel bad for him. He really hasnt left this area either to go out of town in years, possibly a decade or more. Heck going an hour out of town would be a huge vacation for him. You know anyone like this guy I know.

Edited by Ice bowl 67

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not as severe as your co-worker, I'm like that myself. I've had enough bad experiences with most of my family and (former) friends, that I tend to stick to myself.

The only person I really do anything with is my girlfriend. And if I'm not doing anything with her, I tend to just stay home.

I won't pretend to be an expert (though I have some experience from all directions). Bottom line: most decent size companies have an Employee Assistance Program. It's anonymous and free and can help people work stuff out. It's generally a good resource, or at least a good place to start. I hope that's an option. Good luck to your coworker.

Edited by Augie

Admittedly this person doesn't sound too different from myself. I deal with social anxiety and depression.

I tend to think most people are all battling or going through something. I've been more honest about things recently so that's been helpful.

Well he doesnt seem to mind his life. He seems perfectly content although there are times he gets really depressed. I know if I were him I could never live life like that. If I dont do anything with a friend for over a month I get lonely and depressed. That is exactly why I hate the springtime every year is because during the summer and football season I am with friends and family alot. The Spring everyone seems to be busy working and that is it so on the weekends there gets to be nothing to do and that gets me down. My coworker on the other hand if I had a life like him I would rather be in jail to be honest lol.

My son works as an admissions counselor for a mental health and addiction network. I must say....it's a booming business. Anxiety and depression are quite prevalent. I don't know if it's more common than it used to be, or if we are just more aware. But it's a big deal.

Well he doesnt seem to mind his life. He seems perfectly content although there are times he gets really depressed. I know if I were him I could never live life like that. If I dont do anything with a friend for over a month I get lonely and depressed. That is exactly why I hate the springtime every year is because during the summer and football season I am with friends and family alot. The Spring everyone seems to be busy working and that is it so on the weekends there gets to be nothing to do and that gets me down. My coworker on the other hand if I had a life like him I would rather be in jail to be honest lol.

Perhaps you should send him a hooker for his Birthday.

Sounds like a splashberger, a functional and nice person who doesn't care about social interaction. I guess not being on Facebook could be considered an illness by most people.

OP, your friend might be perfectly happy being a homebody. Personally, I have so much going on that whenever I have free time I'd rather just relax and do nothing. Day to day life drains my energy and I need to recharge after work and on the weekends. I have so many hobbies and so little time that I'm perfectly entertained at home. Going "out" seems like a waste of time and money

For the most part, I can't stand people. Person(s) are fine, but people? Nawww

And the older I get the less I like to go out on the weekend to "socialize" (we are retired, that is what weeknights are for... not to get caught in a crowd!). My husband likes to travel, spend time with other people, and generally get involved in crowds so to keep him happy, I do. But if it were just me? I'd probably be much more selective in who I choose to socialize with, and when I choose to do so.

Sounds like me. I can't recall the last time I interacted with people socially that wasn't work- or family-related. And frankly, I like it that way.

Best I heard it explained is that there's introverts and extroverts: extroverts find being alone tiring, and being with people refreshing. Introverts find being with people tiring, and being alone refreshing. I'm definitely an introvert - socializing is exhausting to me, and always has been (as a kindergartener I would have easily been considered autisic by current diagnostic standards). A lot of people think that's "wrong" and I need to be repaired somehow. It's not. It's just who I am, and who I've always been since I was three, and since I'm functional it's not a problem.

Which is really what people don't understand about behavior: there's no "normal" behavior, per se. There's functional, and non-functional. As unpopular a philosophy as this is nowadays...whatever your behavior, if you function in everyday life...then it's "normal" behavior.