Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

There actually is good reason for that. One of Schefter's biggest sources is the agents themselves, and they have reason to leak stuff all the time: maybe it's to show that their client isn't desperate, or that they did their job and gave their player options, or sometimes to drive up the bargaining price. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors to that side of the profession.

You're all missing the point completely.

If a deal was done as they reported it was DONE - he'd be just flying in to sign it. Schefter would be reporting that terms were agreed upon.

If he's leveraging still, the deal is not done. This report was WAY jumping the gun.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a deal was done as they reported it was DONE - he'd be just flying in to sign it. Schefter would be reporting that terms were agreed upon.

If he's leveraging still, the deal is not done. This report was WAY jumping the gun.

You don't have any evidence that the timeline you are basing that assessment on is correct. It might be. It might just be the order things appeared on twitter.

I think you might be missing the point...it IS possible that Schefty simply didnt have the new info to report on?? And being a reliable journalist, chose not to speculate until he in fact DID have new news to report?? Edited by BuffAlone

i saw all of BF's tweets and don't see the one saying it was "done" as you keep saying. I might have missed one- is there one? They reported he was on his way to sign a 1 year deal 4-5mill, pending incentives. Nothing saying it's a done deal. They just happened to know the numbers being discussed. Unless I missed the "done deal" report, but again it's never done until he gets here and meets with the HC. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think you might be missing the point...it IS possible that Schefty simply didnt have the new info to report on??

The timeline is spelled out. BF reports done deal early last night. Some 8-9 hours later, Adam Schefter tweets that plans are being made (present tense) for a Baltimore visit.

What's more likely?

a.) A homer Bills fan page gets the scoop that Jeremy Maclin has agreed to terms and is flying in to sign here. However, even though he has agreed, Adam Schefter can't get that information - but Bills Fanatics can. Furthermore - he's setting up a Baltimore visit even though he's agreed.

or

b.) A homer fan page sees a whole lot of smoke, here's about the visit, and jumps the gun proclaiming a done deal off of questionable information and excitement.

Maybe both sides of this argument are partially correct? Let's pretend that Bills Fanatics DOES have an inside source, and that Maclin DOES want to sign with the Bills.

But he also wants to try to squeeze a little more out of them on the incentive side before signing. So his agent Condon reaches out to Schefter, who tweets that Maclin is also interested in the Ravens. That's then the leverage for negotiations.

The timeline is spelled out. BF reports done deal early last night. Some 8-9 hours later, Adam Schefter tweets that plans are being made (present tense) for a Baltimore visit.

More like 5 or 6 hours actually. I don't think the timeline is as established as you do.

What's more likely?

a.) A homer Bills fan page gets the scoop that Jeremy Maclin has agreed to terms and is flying in to sign here. However, even though he has agreed, Adam Schefter can't get that information - but Bills Fanatics can. Furthermore - he's setting up a Baltimore visit even though he's agreed.

or

b.) A homer fan page sees a whole lot of smoke, here's about the visit, and jumps the gun proclaiming a done deal off of questionable information and excitement.

It doesn't say done deal. It says "pending incentives." My interpretation of the tweet is "salary of $4-5 million, parties still need to agree on incentives."

I still take it with a huge grain of salt, I'm just discussing it because it's the topic at hand here.

i saw all of BF's tweets and don't see the one saying it was "done" as you keep saying. I might have missed one- is there one? They reported he was on his way to sign a 1 year deal 4-5mill, pending incentives. Nothing saying it's a done deal. They just happened to know the numbers being discussed. Unless I missed the "done deal" report, but again it's never done until he gets here and meets with the HC.

You're right. The exact word 'done' was never used. But proclaiming "Welcome Home, J-Mac" and saying he's signing a 1 year deal with us is the same exact thing. Saying that last nights report was meant to say anything but Jeremy Maclin is a Bill is REALLY mincing words.

Look, I hope i'm wrong and BF is right. But going to battle for a BF report vs. an Adam Schefter report is just plain homerism.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

You're right. The exact word 'done' was never used. But proclaiming "Welcome Home, J-Mac" and saying he's signing a 1 year deal with us is the same exact thing.

Look, I hope i'm wrong and BF is right. But going to battle over a BF report vs. an Adam Schefter report is just plain homerism.

Schefter just said on mike she mike he's in Buffalo, and will visit Baltimore depending on how things go today. Cleveland and Philly have inquired. His agent is trying to show there is a market. Schefter doesn't think he will leave Buffalo today.

They aren't conflicting reports as you suggest. BF happened to know the terms being discussed but even those were in flux .... he will sign "pending incentives"... his agent wants more and will do anything he can to get that knowing his client wants to sign here

Edited by YoloinOhio

What's more likely?

or

Is it possible that somebody besides Schefter gets the scoop first?? I mean, it happens from time to time. And to Yolo's point, I too have seen nothing that says "done deal"...

You're right. The exact word 'done' was never used. But proclaiming "Welcome Home, J-Mac" and saying he's signing a 1 year deal with us is the same exact thing.

Look, I hope i'm wrong and BF is right. But going to battle for a BF report vs. an Adam Schefter report is just plain homerism.

Don't have any quotes, but just now watching mike & mike and schefter is on and just said that "the plan is to visit Baltimore after Buffalo" but if he had to quess Maclin isn't going to make it out of Buffalo.

Edit: Damn yolo you must have 12 tvs and webpages open at all times!!

Edited by Clemson Bills Fan

Just seeing Listenbee cut and WR Rashad Ross signed. Didnt see that coming. Maybe they anticipate having another vertical threat signing soon and Ross is camp fodder? Shame, I was hoping some improvement from the speedster...

IMO, this would be a great signing and give us some depth at receiver. Maclin would greatly compliment Sammy.

People are complaining about Tyrod not being good enough...but, I think he can be plenty good enough, if not great.

Keep in mind, we "should" have a real coaching staff now. I think the offense will get better, and less one-dimensional (rushing only), like last year.

And, the once-great defense has a chance to return to something very good...after it was destroyed by the Ryan Bros.

With a half way decent D last year, the 7-9 record could have easily been 9-7 or 10-6.

Listenbee cut!?!...didn't expect that...thought he could be decent.

Edited by VH2001

The only thing I like about thi deal is that it gives Taylor zero excuses.

Maybe coaching staff says....here you go, loaded offense, go get em. I would love nothing more than for Tyrod to prove me wrong but I just don't see him as a throwing qb.

Definitely makes me confused as to why people who are down on Taylor would be against it. If you really do not think he can be a QB, then why not set him up to fail so we know which direction we are going for next year?

Hopefully he can string together some games resembling how he looked against Seattle and the whole offense takes the next step forward.

Schefter just said on mike she mike he's in Buffalo, and will visit Baltimore depending on how things go today. Cleveland and Philly have inquired. His agent is trying to show there is a market. Schefter doesn't think he will leave Buffalo today.

Now that's real interesting. That BF Fanatics guy has had inside info in the past. Local insiders know things before the national insiders. Looking more and more like this is actually going to happen...

Edited by HappyDays

IMO, this would be a great signing and give us some depth at receiver. Maclin would greatly compliment Sammy.

People are complaining about Tyrod not being good enough...but, I think he can be plenty good enough, if not great.

Keep in mind, we "should" have a real coaching staff now. I think the offense will get better, and less one-dimensional (rushing only), like last year.

And, the once-great defense has a chance to return to something very good...after it was destroyed by the Ryan Bros.

With a half way decent D last year, the 7-9 record could have easily been 9-7 or 10-6.

Listenbee cut!?!...didn't expect that...thought he could be decent.

listenbee still can't practice, bad medical and no ties to current regime. This is probably going to be a theme.

Listinbee waived....

I think the Bills were going to wait for his recovery but Maclin coming in makes it unnecessary. I also have to wonder where this will leave Andre Holmes. Glad to see the Bills are flexible with their plans. We should have two legit #1s on the team next year, just need one of them healthy for every game and we're in business!

Edited by HappyDays