Methinks It's Time to Sell

Chef Jim

Most of our property taxes go towards teachers unions and state run Medicaid... That's right, Medicaid.

In our county when you turn 62 the school portion of your property taxes go away...and it's about 2/3 according to a neighbor who recently had his taxes drop.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This house is just up the street from us. Listed at essentially $1m though it's a complete flip and a beautiful place it doesn't have the view we do.

What's the real estate market like where you live?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/4124-Gregory-St-94619/home/2025678

Our house needs updating being 23 years old but we could get north of $250K if we sold right now. Inventories are low here in So. NH.

It makes me wonder how hard it is for people in high property tax states like NY to have positive cash flow on rentals.

All evens out in total cost per month to own the place don't ya think?

BTW, I think at some point the tech money will dry up a touch, and think it inevitable prices in the Bay Area have to normalize a bit.

Colorado Springs is building like there's endless amounts of land... which there is as long as you go east I guess. It's a very military/transient community, so turnover on housing is never-ending. I've often said if you Colorado Springs east of I-25 (which divides the city to 70% east and 30% west) was a restaurant, it would be a Chilis or Applebees; bland and pretty characterless.

Anyway, to answer your question, the market here seems to be doing well again after the blood-bath of 2008. It seems to be coming back.

I have a 7 bed room house with an Inlaw apt. Plan on selling it next year. Plan on painting though and re landscape this summer. Need new black top. Would love to get 280,ooo for it. Want a condo.

Not selling but have a friend trying to move from Buffalo (coincidentally) to Cbus. He said the houses are closing before listing. Crazy sellers market. Buyers aren't even looking at the houses in person.

Because where we've looking to buy (Palm Springs) is at least a 7 hour drive away we've looked almost exclusively online. Redfin is great but it's not in all markets and don't think it's in WNY. It's linked to the MLS so it's very up to date. Having said that I would never ever buy sight unseen. Some of these stagers and photographers do a great job of hiding flaws. And getting it staged and marketed properly is huge.

Not selling but have a friend trying to move from Buffalo (coincidentally) to Cbus. He said the houses are closing before listing. Crazy sellers market. Buyers aren't even looking at the houses in person.

That fast in Cbus? Wow!

We bought a condo in Nashville last fall. Places there sell as soon as the sign goes in the ground, if not before. Building like CRAZY!!! Thousands of condos, apartment and houses going up everywhere! I've never seen anything quite like it! Offered on a townhouse about 1% below list. The sellers wanted to wait for the bidding war after the open house that weekend. They told us to hold on, they'd get back to us on Monday or Tuesday. We told them to F% off. We had offered a premium to AVOID the bidding war as they were a little high on their price. They ended up selling a little below what we offered. YES! Next one we offered full ask, quick closing. Someone else came in a couple thousand less and thought it was a strong effort. Seller was a doctor who bought a place for his son and her wife while they finished law school at Vanderbilt. The doc had no interest in a bidding war, which is good because we weren't playing. Sadly, $350k there only gets a 3/2, about 1,600 sf, but in a great location close to town and the colleges in case we ever need to rent it. Our son & grandson live there, and it has room for us too (going up this weekend).

Because where we've looking to buy (Palm Springs) is at least a 7 hour drive away we've looked almost exclusively online. Redfin is great but it's not in all markets and don't think it's in WNY. It's linked to the MLS so it's very up to date. Having said that I would never ever buy sight unseen. Some of these stagers and photographers do a great job of hiding flaws. And getting it staged and marketed properly is huge.

I had never seen the Nashville condo in person until the walk through the night before closing. I turned it over to my son, my wife and the realtor. I let it be known it should be a townhouse, they fell in love with the mid rise, and I washed my hands of it. On walk through I saw it was a complete mess, despite the fairy tale photos. We've spent about $10k on it the last 6 months. I've never once said "I told you so, you should have let me handle this, because I would have done better". It is a great location though, so long term I'm OK with it.

I had never seen the Nashville condo in person until the walk through the night before closing. I turned it over to my son, my wife and the realtor. I let it be known it should be a townhouse, they fell in love with the mid rise, and I washed my hands of it. On walk through I saw it was a complete mess, despite the fairy tale photos. We've spent about $10k on it the last 6 months. I've never once said "I told you so, you should have let me handle this, because I would have done better". It is a great location though, so long term I'm OK with it.

I'm real picky and a terrible neatnik. I told my wife I'll be out pulling weeks with tweezers and polishing the leaves on the lemon tree the morning of our open houses. She thinks I'm kidding.

I'm real picky and a terrible neatnik. I told my wife I'll be out pulling weeks with tweezers and polishing the leaves on the lemon tree the morning of our open houses. She thinks I'm kidding.

I like your style! The lemon tree leaf test is on my usual checklist! (Section 2, part 4.)

I like your style! The lemon tree leaf test is on my usual checklist! (Section 2, part 4.)

We looked at a house around the corner listed for $935k. There were !@#$ing leaves stuck in some spider webs on the front porch steps. The horror!

We looked at a house around the corner listed for $935k. There were !@#$ing leaves stuck in some spider webs on the front porch steps. The horror!

Makes you want to up the offer and move right in, doesn't it?

Our crawl space is spotless! We actually get compliments!

Makes you want to up the offer and move right in, doesn't it?

Our crawl space is spotless! We actually get compliments!

Jesus dude. Even I have my limits.

Ok ok the crawl space is cleaner than most people's living rooms. Comes from being trained by the "military" Chefs at CIA

Probably $2M on my side of that view.

No doubt and that's why Oakland is booming. Having lived on both sides of the Bay they both have their positives and negatives.

Our crawl space is spotless because it was well built, well sealed and there's no way in hell I'm going in there to mess it up. NOT a fan of smallish spaces. The blessed wife goes in to change thee AC filter. Recently replaced AC and furnace and they guys were quite impressed.