Methinks It's Time to Sell

Chef Jim

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This house is just up the street from us. Listed at essentially $1m though it's a complete flip and a beautiful place it doesn't have the view we do.

What's the real estate market like where you live?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/4124-Gregory-St-94619/home/2025678

Not that good <_<

I like the way things are working in the new construction market around here. We got in early in our neighborhood and next month will be our 2 year mark. The starting price on the same model we have is $50k more than it was for us even though they're now getting stuck with the crappy tiny lots that are left.

Chef J - what you showed there is stunning. If yours has the view - I'd be hard pressed not to stick a toe in the water. But, where / what would you move into?

Market in CBUS is off the charts. Purchased mine about 15 yrs ago at approximately $250K and just had an appraisal figure of $347K.

This house is just up the street from us. Listed at essentially $1m though it's a complete flip and a beautiful place it doesn't have the view we do.

that depends on LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Average cost in Loudoun County 40 miles east of DC is close to $500 K. Rural areas $300 K to $1 Mil depending on acreage or time of purchase.

My house is Mid $300 and the guy who bought at the peak on 2005 or 2006 which is 4 houses away $660K

I'm glad the market is decent, but I don't even WANT to see anything like what we went through leading up to the first quarter of '06. The aftermath was mighty ugly! I was in rael estate in FL at the time.....ugh.

We have decided we are not moving any time soon, so we may be putting a little more money into our house than the neighborhood would suggest. Recently finished a 6 figure renovation, and planning another round. So, as soon as we are done, something will happen and we will move again. :(

nice home. i don't know much about the cali market, but is a million typical for a house like that? on top of that, it looks like the taxes are $1500?

around here it's a sellers market. real estate agents are actually taking out adds trying to coax people to put their houses on the market. it's at the point now where if you see a house that's listed that day, you have to leave work to look at it. bids are aggressively placed in a day or two, and usually they're over bids. not a great time to be looking around here. you hope an agent can find what you're looking for before it goes on the market.

Thanks for all the advice but...

We actually decided to sell a while ago. The movers were here when I started this thread. We have the interior getting painted this weekend and professionally staged next week and listed on the 25th. We paid $475k for it exactly 5 years ago and we're shooting for $1m. We've put a decent amount of money into it but still that's insane.

We are looking at Palm Springs where we can get a real nice place with a pool for around $400k but also have a major opportunity in Orange County with the company I work for. Issue there is home prices are also sky high so it would be a lateral move home price wise. I don't want to buy into that market. If the work opportunity comes through in OC we may rent there and buy the retirement home in PS now and rent it out and move into it when we retire in 5 or so years.

nice home. i don't know much about the cali market, but is a million typical for a house like that? on top of that, it looks like the taxes are $1500?

around here it's a sellers market. real estate agents are actually taking out adds trying to coax people to put their houses on the market. it's at the point now where if you see a house that's listed that day, you have to leave work to look at it. bids are aggressively placed in a day or two, and usually they're over bids. not a great time to be looking around here. you hope an agent can find what you're looking for before it goes on the market.

During the boom a guy knocked on my neighbors door and offered him $1 mil before even seeing the whole place. He came back at $1.2 and was told that's way too high. "I'm not looking to sell, but you want to buy." $1.2 it was!

We never did know how he got into the gated community.....

They'll likely get $1m and $1500 a month in taxes is about right. It's a perfect storm for us. Sellers market here with no inventory and lots of people wanting out of SF and a buyers market in PS with tons of inventory to choose from. OC? Not so much.

During the boom a guy knocked on my neighbors door and offered him $1 mil before even seeing the whole place. He came back at $1.2 and was told that's way too high. "I'm not looking to sell, but you want to buy." $1.2 it was!

We never did know how he got into the gated community.....

Stacked up the $1.2 and used it to climb over the gate.

We actually decided to sell a while ago. The movers were here when I started this thread. We have the interior getting painted this weekend and professionally staged next week and listed on the 25th. We paid $475k for it exactly 5 years ago and we're shooting for $1m. We've put a decent amount of money into it but still that's insane.

We are looking at Palm Springs where we can get a real nice place with a pool for around $400k but also have a major opportunity in Orange County with the company I work for. Issue there is home prices are also sky high so it would be a lateral move home price wise. I don't want to buy into that market. If the work opportunity comes through in OC we may rent there and buy the retirement home in PS now and rent it out and move into it when we retire in 5 or so years.

Good luck with the timing. Our last house in FL dropped almost $500k between the peak and when we finally moved away. I knew it was bad timing, but....well, the wife won. The buyers have now seen it bounce back to where it was close to the peak. We talked about selling after it went up so far, but had to ask ourselves "but where will we go?" Should have rented for a while.... :(

Pleased to hear my days are numbered for worrying about earthquakes and mudslides for you!

Will you be living in a Holiday Express in the meantime to get smarter?

Best wishes on the new digs.

Well if we end up in Palm Springs we'll no longer be right on the Hayward fault. That one is way overdo for a biggie. So we'll just be safe, sound and nice and comfy.........on the San Andreas. :o

We were first time buyers last year (June 16) in North Buffalo. It was a very stressful few months with several disappointments. Anything we looked at had multiple offers the day of the open house.

Finally got lucky putting in a full price offer the day of the open house and encountered sellers who needed to move quickly to get into the new house they found faster than they expected. I wrote a sappy letter and everything.

Fast forward a year and I see now that we actually had it easy. My freinds are getting beat up worse and losing out with offers significantly above asking. So much competition and absurd prices.

Comparables where we bought are now 25-35k more than what we spent 11 months ago and they are selling immediately. Great time to be a seller.

Check our Ramona, good value for your money in San Diego County

Good luck.

We have a condo on the ocean listed right now in Florida. Hopefully, we will get it sold soon.

As far as good ole WNY... seller's market. Hubby wants to sell our house and move into temporary housing before that changes. We are looking, but there is so little available at the moment (we have specific location wants) - the market is super tight.