The Patriots will need to choose between Marcia and Janeane

Inevitably, the @Patriots will have to choose between Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo. @tomecurran #Patriotshttp://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/tom-e-curran-eventually-new-england-patriots-choose-jimmy-garoppolo-over-tom-brady

CURRAN: THE PATRIOTS, TOM BRADY AND THE GATHERING STORM

You stick with Brady as long as he keeps playing well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do think it's strange that they didn't trade Jimmy G a couple months ago, I think it's inevitable that they will throw him away like a soiled diaper because Brady will continue playing at a high level for at least the next three years.

I do think a 6th Superbowl might encourage Brady to walk away. It wouldn't shock me if he did put it that way. I also think unlike before you might see some more of Jimmy G in mop up duty this year and they might choose the sit Brady week 17 or something like that. I think Bill knows that he needs to know.... if he thinks Jimmy G is the one no way does he let him walk next offseason because he knows finding that one who might be the heir to Brady is not going to be easy. It is not like he could just chuck Jimmy and find another as good if he thinks that Jimmy is the real deal. Garoppolo will be 26 by the end of the 2017 season. If he isn't going to get a shot in 2018 I don't think he is willing to wait any longer.

Inevitably, the @Patriots will have to choose between Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo. @tomecurran #Patriots

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/tom-e-curran-eventually-new-england-patriots-choose-jimmy-garoppolo-over-tom-brady

CURRAN: THE PATRIOTS, TOM BRADY AND THE GATHERING STORM

I do believe this is why they loaded up this year and were more active in FA than normal. They are putting all of the pieces together to make that last run at an undefeated season because Tommy Boy's time grows short. He has two more years, tops. If they go undefeated this upcoming year Tom will walk away. Then it's Janeane Garofalo's turn.

I do believe this is why they loaded up this year and were more active in FA than normal. They are putting all of the pieces together to make that last run at an undefeated season because Tommy Boy's time grows short. He has two more years, tops. If they go undefeated this upcoming year Tom will walk away. Then it's Janeane Garofalo's turn.

i have been saying that all signs out of NE point to Brady retiring soon rather than the "5-7" years he has talked about.

It'll be like Montana to Steve Bono. Instead of Montana to Young

Garoppolo is going to be a guy in the top half of QBs, IMHO. He won't be a Steve Bono. But I doubt he's a Steve Young either.

I agree they have to make this choice. But if Brady doesn't start a drop soon, he'll make that choice very easy and it'll be Garoppolo who's gone.

The Pats have a history of trading guys before they start to lose their skills, not after. But there have been exceptions. Guys like Moss, who had started to lose it. Welker had started his descent, not by a lot, but his last year he'd been targeted one more time than the year before and yet receptions, yardage, yards per reception, TDs, all had gone down.

I just don't see them letting Brady go for any reason until we see his performances becoming human. And remember when Brady's dad said that Tom wanted to play till he was 70? I don't see retirement until he stops satisfying himself as to his level of play.

Edited by Thurman#1

It'll be like Montana to Steve Bono. Instead of Montana to Young

Steve is a laughing stock because Cher always was the show stealer, but, Steve was a really a fine musician in his own right. I, personally, don't think that he deserves all of the derision he has received over the years.

i would have some happiness seeing him go somewhere else and totally fall off a cliff. End his career as Favre, stumbling and bumbling from team to team before retiring. But... wont happen. I think if the Pats* part ways with him, he will retire.

His ego is strong, it has to be, I don't see him meekly walking away from the game if he thinks he still has it (especially if his release happens after this season). Nobody that I can think of is better set up for retirement than he, but, he would not go gentle into that good night. He'll go out on his terms.

Eventually yes, but not anytime soon.

My guess is that they'll Transition Tag him next year for the $20M or so it takes to do that, and that he'll sign because that's incredible money for a clipboard holder.

That basically buys them two full years before they have to make a decision, at which time Brady will be 41 years old (and would be 42 heading into the 2019 season).

My guess is that they'll Transition Tag him next year for the $20M or so it takes to do that, and that he'll sign because that's incredible money for a clipboard holder.

That basically buys them two full years before they have to make a decision, at which time Brady will be 41 years old (and would be 42 heading into the 2019 season).

This.

Add in the fact Brady is being paid more like a very good WR, not one of the best QBs in the league and it's clear the cap is not going to drive this decision for a couple of years.

They kept JG because no one was offering a 1st rounder for him. It will be interesting to see what they do after the season.

Do you have a source? I know the Browns are stingy with their picks now, but I would be very surprised if their purported pursuit of Jimmy G. was real that pick #12 (and change) was never on the table.

I don't think their moves are very short sighted though. Cooks is only 2 years older than Zay Jones and very proven at the NFL level, they know what they are getting from him, which isn't true about any other WR available at 32, especially given their draft history at the position. Gilmore is the same age as Logan Ryan, it was either pay Ryan a lot of money, pay the much better player in Gilmore even more or put an inexperienced player in a key spot. Kony Ealy is 25 and the price to acquire him was pretty small. Gillislee is 26, has plenty of tread on the tires and graded out very highly with advanced stats.

I see the offseason as less of "all in" and more of just shrewd business moves. They had available cap space, instead of hoping some rookies could step up and fill spots, they opted for some proven commodities in their prime. It's less of a "we've gotta win 1 more with Brady" and more of a "we are the best team in the league right now, we have cap space, let's not hope a 21 year old 3rd round pick can fill a key spot".

Florio basically just,said this on nflpn. With the exception of franchise tagging him.

Probably.

Based on his contract and cap numbers - it appears that the Patriots have no intention of parting ways with him until at least 2019 - at which point his dead cap is down to $7 million. After this season it is $14 million which is a bit rich to swallow.

That's what it looked like to me too.

And yeah, the whole thing is interesting.

They might not have even gotten an offer of a 2nd. I think the Cheaters take a 2nd to at least recoup what they used to get him. Because at best they're looking at a comp 3rd, unless Brady suddenly falls of a cliff (I hope) this year.

They've done it to all of their former stars. They dump them just before their decline. It's only a matter of time

That's true. I just have to wonder if Brady is the one untouchable. Would Belichick want to start over at this stage of his career with a new QB? I certainly would be shocked if he signed off on a decision to let Brady walk. Brady's future is actually a unique situation that hasn't been seen in league history. No one has performed up to Brady's level at this stage of their career. Letting Brady walk after another championship would be very risky. If Brady's level of play declines it would become a different scenario. I just don't count on that happening.

1 and a half games and he's a super star!!! SMH.

Cards, and Dolphins. HOF here he comes!!!

This^ The Pats have a history of treating all players as being expendable. They have been able to operate that way because Tom Brady is on their roster. No one in the world has a clue what they have in Jimmy G. He could be the next Montana or he could be the next Trent Edwards. Lets not act like anyone actually knows that Jimmy is a future franchise QB.

Pats are loading up on talent for one more super bowl run. If they win it this year I think they part ways with Brady and go with Garrapolo. That said a lot with them keeping both guys. It's going to be a Montana/Young or Favre/Rodgers situation in NE and they will need to make a decision after this season with Garrapolo due to become a free agent

I suspect a similar outcome; just Brady retiring instead of being cut or traded. I know there is a lot of bravado about Brady wanting to play until he's 70 but I think he buys into the Marv Levy theory that when you start talking about retirement you are already retired. I suspect he and the Patriots have already had discussions about him leaving after this year.