Nick Buoniconti - CTE

Well, Buoniconti played 15 years in the NFL, so in his case it's certainly the case that most of the hits he took -- and certainly the most impactful ones -- occurred in the NFL. Pee wee football is in no way comparable to the NFL, by the way.

...kind of sad....always liked the guy....terrible his son took that hit in college as is a quadriplegic...........Nick was a member of the "Killer B's"...............

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when we have conclusive data to compare this to, aka, controlled data i will listen much more.

the obvious obvious is that running full speed throwing your body all around isn't good for you.

but, to say cte is only football related i don't think any scientist should do.

cte is to sports science what global warming is to climatology science.

Saying CTE isn't related to football is whistling past the graveyard. Of course it is. I think people deny it because they don't like admitting that they love such a brutal sport, but they should face up to facts. I fully admit that given my NFL fandom, I probably would have been cheering at the gladiator fights in imperial Rome. But at least I like to think that I would have been of the folks who instinctively put my thumb up when it came time to vote on the fate of the loser.

Also, saying what you say about global warming probably means that we can't have a productive conversation about anything like this.

Edited by dave mcbride

Saying CTE isn't related to football is whistling past the graveyard. Of course it is. I think people deny it because they don't like admitting that they love such a brutal sport, but they should face up to facts. I fully admit that given my NFL fandom, I probably would have been cheering at the gladiator fights in imperial Rome. But at least I like to think that I would have been of the folks who instinctively put my thumb up when it came time to vote on the fate of the loser.

there is not enoguh conclusive evidence to show that every day old folks don't have cte. there has simply not been enough research.

i read a study back when will smith discovered CTE that talked about those over the age of 60 were often found to have cte.

i wish i would have saved it. if you merely googly cte now it's nothing but how the nfl and sports cause it. mixed in with lawsuits and how to file a in a class action settlement, etc.

there is not enoguh conclusive evidence to show that every day old folks don't have cte. there has simply not been enough research.

i read a study back when will smith discovered CTE that talked about those over the age of 60 were often found to have cte.

i wish i would have saved it. if you merely googly cte now it's nothing but how the nfl and sports cause it. mixed in with lawsuits and how to file a in a class action settlement, etc.

It's just a coincidence?

Are you familiar with tobacco industry-funded studies of the alleged links between smoking and lung cancer in the 1950s-1980s?

There's no harm in admitting that playing NFL football is terrible for one's health and brain. Same goes for boxing. It wasn't safe to be a gladiator either. They're bloodsports. Just admit it.

It's just a coincidence?

Of course. It just doesn't show up in basketball players for some reason. Wonder how much of that money he would gladly give back so that his wife doesn't have to put his Johnson back in his pants after he goes to bathroom. everyone is so fond of using that as a rational for why it just is what it is and "they took the money?" Edited by iinii

Also, saying what you say about global warming probably means that we can't have a productive conversation about anything like this.

....and I doubt we even know that despite equipment advances over the years that we won't be reading about today's players wearing such "advanced" equipment today in the SAME dilemma 15 years hence....

Of course. It just doesn't show up in basketball players for some reason. Wonder how much of that money he would gladly give back so that his wife doesn't have to put his Johnson back in his pants after he goes to bathroom. everyone is so fond of using that as a rational for why it just is what it is and "they took the money?"

please, show me proof that it doesn't show up in the basketball players. how about tennis players. how about volleyball?

a

gain, evidence.

It's just a coincidence?

show me the evidence and empirical facts that conclusively show that cte is higher in football players than a non-athlete like a band geek or soccer player.

then, show me the the cte rates among those whom played at different levels.

Are you familiar with tobacco industry-funded studies of the alleged links between smoking and lung cancer in the 1950s-1980s?

There's no harm in admitting that playing NFL football is terrible for one's health and brain. Same goes for boxing. It wasn't safe to be a gladiator either. They're bloodsports. Just admit it.

there is harm as it opens the door litigiously (sounds kinky huh?).

its never safe to play sports. you damage your body in more ways than just your brain.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/08/nick-buoniconti-dolphins-cognitive-decline-nfl-head-trauma-concussions

'Some of Buonicontis Dolphins teammates, meanwhile, are crumbling. Quarterback Earl Morrall, the supersub so key to the Perfect Season, died at 79, in 2014, with Stage 4 CTE. Running back Jim Kiick, 70, lived in squalor until he was placed in an assisted living facility last summer with dementia/early onset Alzheimers. Bill Stanfill, a defensive end who long suffered from dementia, died in November at 69. His brain and spine were sent to the CTE center at Boston University, where the disease has been found in 96% of players brains studied. (Granted, thats 96% of a group whose medical or playing history already suggests some sort of brain disease.)'

Thanks!

I would have thought a lot of offensive linemen from the 60's and 70's would be having issues. Remember when the Defensive linemen were able to club them in the head while they were rushing. I remember one defensive lineman say he could see the offensive lineman playing against him was zippy after he hit him a couple of times.

You really have to wonder about the future of the sport. More and more parents will not let their kids play as stuff like this comes out.

Football is still big in California, Texas, Florida....as long as the chance to make pro and big money is out there.....players will be there

Or they need to invest billions into medical advancements so that CTE can be measured pre-death and measure the CTE that already exist in men's brains before they take an NFL snap. That would also help determine those who are most at-risk and shouldn't continue playing.

I can't believe a person still has to be dead in order to determine the amount of CTE they have.

Yes many entering into NFL probably have CTE issues already.

Probably higher if you consider playing for the dophins(and patriots) is indicative of some sort of brain disorder......

I think one study stated that Baseball fans are predisposed to CTE but you know how studies, polls and rumors are - they can be planned so results are what you expect.

Back when we played they called concussions "getting your bell rung" and you were pretty much mocked for getting "lit up." Had I known it was actually my brain smashing against my skull I never would have played. We used to pop Tylenol like candy to deal with the migraines. If people think this is limited to NFL players then you are wrong. Even normal every day guys that played probably did so from about age 8-18 so 10 years of your brain being beaten up is not a good thing!

This is the one thing that Whaley said or did that I personally agreed 100% with:

"This is the game of football," the Bills' boss told WGR 550 radio. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

Back when we played they called concussions "getting your bell rung" and you were pretty much mocked for getting "lit up." Had I known it was actually my brain smashing against my skull I never would have played. We used to pop Tylenol like candy to deal with the migraines. If people think this is limited to NFL players then you are wrong. Even normal every day guys that played probably did so from about age 8-18 so 10 years of your brain being beaten up is not a good thing!

Shouldn't heavy metal band members be predisposed to this from all the head banging too?

A return to padded leather helmets with no facemask, and lacrosse style shoulder pads is the answer.

Take away a player's willingness to use his head and shoulders as a weapon will minimize "knock out" type hits, and will lead to body tackling like in rugby.

A return to padded leather helmets with no facemask, and lacrosse style shoulder pads is the answer.

Take away a player's willingness to use his head and shoulders as a weapon will minimize "knock out" type hits, and will lead to body tackling like in rugby.

right on the money. ive thought this for years.

i think we cann all agree---well anyone with common sense---that head battering from age 7 up to age 40 will cause brain damage.

but we also have to ponder the reasons for the much higher rates of alz in the normal public. there are reasons for it. and i think the answer

lies somewhere in the pharmaceutical industry.

Climbers who attempt the most dangerous mountain in the world, K2, not just climbers in general.

But yeah, it's a dangerous sport.

Edited by Thurman#1

padded helmets please

You cannot stop it with padded helmets. Padding will help prevent breaking the skull itself. The damage to the brain occurs when a sudden stop makes the brain hit the inside of the skull. The only way to stop that is to stop hitting things with your head.

Edited by CodeMonkey