Props to Vic Carrucci

Good scoops from Vic, but I've since unfollowed and stopped reading him since the Owens hall of fame fiasco. Still can't wrap my mind around his reasoning on that one. Good to see he's working hard digging these stories though.

No doubt a huge error in judgment.

all humans

columnist don't break stories ?

Not usually. Sully is akin to someone like Stephen A Smith or Bayless. They provide their opinions on matters. Hate Sullivan all you want, but can't blame him for not doing something that's not his job.

Why did it matter that this was reported before it happened? Seems rather irrelevant to me.

Well someone has strong ties to inside information and it must be someone who made the calls (hint,hint) and more powerful then Whaley, to have known those calls.

It shows he:

1) Works at his craft

2) Gives a damn about his job

3) Is plugged in

The other chuckleheads mentioned let others do the work and just pile on. And in Sullivan's case just look for a bowl of Cheerios to p*ss in.

Rather impressive that the BIlls organization actually did what he "predicted" tff.

I think it matters because it's real reporting with *apparently* real sources. It is, in a word, journalism. Something that does not happen much anymore as most just hot take and retweet with their adgenda.

One of the last of a dying breed, as the world evolves into propoganda and lies. You can't trust the media these days, so if there is someone I can believe, it's a big deal in my opinion.

Quite amazing that he was so spot on throughout the Offseason and Draft decisions of the Bills...

Was he really the first to break these stories?

Earliest report I see of Carrucci's mention of a trade down..

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/17/vic-caruccis-bills-mailbag-wont-shocked-trade/

He's also said we would trade McCoy... soo.....idk..

This is semantics but he is a columnist, not a reporter. That is where people miss the mark with him. Ignore him, if you don't like him. He's looking for clicks, plain and simple. He's paid to give opinions and hot takes. He doesn't care about "reporting" facts.

The News, and newspapers generally, care extremely little about clicks. They're on a digital subscription-based profit model.

There are plenty of click-based folks still out there, Bleacher Report, for instance. But the News don't allow you to access more than 10 stories per month. That shows how much they care about clicks. They care about getting people to value their services enough to subscribe.

Sully is careful about his facts. He has plenty of opinions which people are welcome to disagree with or ignore, but yeah, he's paid to react in interesting ways, not to dig up scoops.

The News, and newspapers generally, care extremely little about clicks. They're on a digital subscription-based profit model.

There are plenty of click-based folks still out there, Bleacher Report, for instance. But the News don't allow you to access more than 10 stories per month. That shows how much they care about clicks. They care about getting people to value their services enough to subscribe.

Sully is careful about his facts. He has plenty of opinions which people are welcome to disagree with or ignore, but yeah, he's paid to react in interesting ways, not to dig up scoops.

I have been able to access more than 10 stories a month without subscription for several months.

- Correctly reported before anyone else that we won't exercise Watkins 5th year option.

- Correctly reported before anyone else that entire scouting department getting canned.

- Correctly reported that Whaley is out before it happened.

- Correctly predicted Bills looking to trade down.

When's the last time Sully, Bucky, Brown, or Rodak broke a real story?

Just giving props where it's due. Glad we knew about all of those stories before they evolved.

We can just as easily cherry-pick a handful of flat out inaccurate reports from Vic over the past couple of years.

The only local news guy I trust to verify and confirm his reports is Wawrow.

On one hand it's good to have the information. However I was getting pretty excited at the fact they were closing all of the leaks. Now it looks like the leaks are limited to Vic's main contacts who should be fairly easy to identify by the organization. Would not be surprised to see Vic's contacts (Russ?) as the next to go unless his sources are the Pegulas.

I'm in this camp, as well. He was my favorite writer covering the Bills and I was sad to see him go to Cleveland to cover the Brownies. Then he came back and something changed. It's like TBN told him to be edgier and more douchey or something to conform with the new "hot take" world that we live in now.

Agree with your take. Maybe Sully is a douche because editor told me to act like that? Nahhhh

Not usually. Sully is akin to someone like Stephen A Smith or Bayless. They provide their opinions on matters. Hate Sullivan all you want, but can't blame him for not doing something that's not his job.

He claims press privileges he is treated like a reporter who does not know how to do his job. He can be a columnist with out press pass, etc.

Vic is alright. He's well-respected in the community, he's been doing this stuff close to 30 years, he has a laundry list of contacts and sources, I'm sure.

The one hangup I have on him are his broad generalizations which aren't always accurate. Example: In explaining the Watkins/5th year option stuff, he stated, of Watkins, "the receiver has missed most of his games in his three-year career." This is just flat out false. Out of 48 games, Watkins as missed 11. That does not constitute "most" at all. If anything, he's played in most of his games.

The other thing that doesn't thrill me with Buffalo media is the sheer amount of content they put out. This isn't necessarily the fault of the journalists, tho, it's likely directed from their employers who want consistent pieces being slapped online daily to bring in those clicks.

And the Bills are just in a weird spot when it comes to the media. There are so many different outlets reporting on the team. You've got the Buffalo News crew, you have the WGR guys, you've got Rochester guys, you've got the Fairburn kid from Syracuse (he's actually pretty good), you've got Rodak as the national reporter, then you have the sports news crews from the TV stations, and each station has like, three or four sports reporters. I follow a lot of these guys on Twitter to stay up to date and sometimes it's just nuts when they get a hold of some news. The timeline gets flooded by 47 different reporters reporting the same thing. I read somewhere that for a small-market team, the Bills receive an inordinate amount of media coverage.

- Correctly reported before anyone else that we won't exercise Watkins 5th year option.

- Correctly reported before anyone else that entire scouting department getting canned.

- Correctly reported that Whaley is out before it happened.

- Correctly predicted Bills looking to trade down.

When's the last time Sully, Bucky, Brown, or Rodak broke a real story?

Just giving props where it's due. Glad we knew about all of those stories before they evolved.

Yeah that guy is always wrong. At least that will be said next time he "predicts" something fans don't like.