The Crying Game: Consolidated thread for the downers

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where BB would have us ranked? My guess is higher and that he respects us more than someone like Pete Pricksore.

I'll say this good ole limpy Pete did grade the Bills pretty good on the draft

Pete is always down on the Bills and other than the draft grade nothing new there.

Investing in negative outcomes takes no courage. At all. That's why so many people do it. Always guaranteed of being let down easy with the added bonus of being able to say, "I told you so," when the negative outcome comes to fruition.

I struggle with this post K-9.

I don't think that being critical of obvious mistakes made by the Bills is "investing in negative outcomes." I like to come here and talk Bills Football with posters who are informed about both football and the Bills. It is much more fun to do so when the Bills win.

It is not the fault of fans that the Bills are not a good football team. Bills Fans are not to blame for the terrible drafts, year after year. Bills Fans didn't hire Whaley or Rex Ryan.

I have SOME faith in the Bills because they fired the above losing duo. And while the draft wasn't quite as bad as usual because of the 2018 pick, I find little reason to be thrilled, but I'm not hoping for bad news, ya know?

I don't think that being critical of obvious mistakes made by the Bills is "investing in negative outcomes." I like to come here and talk Bills Football with posters who are informed about both football and the Bills. It is much more fun to do so when the Bills win.

It is not the fault of fans that the Bills are not a good football team. Bills Fans are not to blame for the terrible drafts, year after year. Bills Fans didn't hire Whaley or Rex Ryan.

I have SOME faith in the Bills because they fired the above losing duo. And while the draft wasn't quite as bad as usual because of the 2018 pick, I find little reason to be thrilled, but I'm not hoping for bad news, ya know?

I think being crit of past mistakes is pretty normal.....but to predict bad future outcomes just because the law of averages is on your side takes NO courage (imo)

IMO K-9 post was probably one of the 2 or 3 best ones in this thread.

I'm not surprised you struggle with it though because that is status quo of what I've seen.

Being critical and voicing opinions is one thing, crusading is another. The few who conduct themselves in this manner, and dominate nearly every thread with the same schtick, really hurt the negative opinion crowd.

The Bills are not a good football team based on the past, and it is easy to just to complain about the same things and see no hope. It is however possible that they are better now and in the last 3-4 years there is reason to believe that is the case. The 17 years argument with different ownership, management, coach's and players in place now is lazy IMO.

It is too bad that some get no enjoyment out of being Bills fans (as stated by some) other than the ability to say I told you so...same old Bills. We should take a lesson from Chicago Cubs fans, who seemed to maintain their hope and excitement. And, boy was it worth it. :D

I am also applying much of this to the blind optimism crusaders as well. Nothing wrong with demanding more from your team.

Edited by horned dogs

I'm not surprised you struggle with it though because that is status quo of what I've seen.

Being critical and voicing opinions is one thing, crusading is another. The few who conduct themselves in this manner, and dominate nearly every thread with the same schtick, really hurt the negative opinion crowd.

The Bills are not a good football team based on the past, and it is easy to just to complain about the same things and see no hope. It is however possible that they are better now and in the last 3-4 years there is reason to believe that is the case. The 17 years argument with different ownership, management, coach's and players in place now is lazy IMO.

It is too bad that some get no enjoyment out of being Bills fans (as stated by some) other than the ability to say I told you so...same old Bills. We should take a lesson from Chicago Cubs fans, who seemed to maintain their hope and excitement. And, boy was it worth it. :D

I am also applying much of this to the blind optimism crusaders as well. Nothing wrong with demanding more from your team.

OK, you make some sense here but let me ask you this: Would it ever have been OK to be critical or cynical. Maybe at year 9? Or year 14? Or any other random season? It is virtually impossible to not make the playoffs for 17 years. This league has a salary cap, and bad teams draft first.

Like you said, in last 17 years we have had numerous GMs and Head Coaches. Could it be different now? Perhaps but there would seem to be lots of work to do. I suggesting rooting for Kansas City to lose games, and for a sane draft in 2018. This would be a healthy start.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Some people do that. Others look at the team as a whole and who is making those decisions to build the team and make conclusions as to what to expect.

So far Pegulas track record as owner indicates they dont have a clue what he's doing or who to hire. They fell in love with Rex and then the same with McDermott. Hiring a HC before the GM makes little to no sense at all.

I'm glad that Whaley is gone. However, I'm not confident his replacement(An average defensive coach playing both GM and coach) will yield better results based on who hired him.

Would you not admit however that the hiring of RR and the hiring of McDermott is pretty much not similar?

(JMO) but I think they hired RR because he told them that he could make their top 5 D even better....he had the reputation of being a "defensive guru" and he was considered one of the "bigger fish" on the market at the time. The Pegula's thought the team would be in good hands with such a experienced HC

Then....they hired a up and comer young HC who seems to be the exact opposite of RR.....out goes "look at me" and "my teams are undisciplined but we will work it out" to McD who doesnt seem to relish the spotlight......is known for his preparedness and lack of tolerance for said.....seems very organized.....instead of hiring yes men at key postions it looks like he hired veteran ex HC "teachers" at those positions

I mean....nobody really knows how it is going to work out.....but it does not appear like the same thought process went into both

To the bolded, yep and yep.

OK, you make some sense here but let me ask you this: Would it ever have been OK to be critical or cynical. Maybe at year 9? Or year 14? Or any other random season? It is virtually impossible to not make the playoffs for 17 years. This league has a salary cap, and bad teams draft first.

Remember, in last 17 years we have had numerous GMs and Head Coaches. Could it be different now? Perhaps but there would seem to be lots of work to do. I suggesting rooting for Kansas City to lose games, and for a sane draft in 2018. This would be a healthy start.

Yes I think we all are critical or cynical at various times. No doubt the Bills have been a bad organization and have rightfully deserved it. But, at least give things a chance. For example, I didn't like the RR hire when it happened. I did however get on board because we had new ownership, he had been to and won in the playoffs, he had had as much success against Brady as anyone etc. I just don't understand how folks can come on here day after day and decide the new coach is a loser because the Bills hired him. No hope. Doomed! I don't see anything gained by not giving it a chance, do we have a choice? You and I both know the answer to that. Now if in 3-4 years we go by and we go 6-10,3-13,5-11 and have no franchise QB, no direction and a first time coach who's not getting it done. That is a different story. There are a handful who are either blind optimists or negative downers who crusade and ruin it. I hate coming on and trying to get info and someone creates a thread about a player or coach. And, immediately there is a guy who comes on and says McWrestler will screw it up because Pegula hired him and he's clueless and they should have hired a GM first and Taylor sucks. BTW, I don't include you in that category, you did a nice job being objective with your spots after games for years. :thumbsup:

Yes I think we all are critical or cynical at various times. No doubt the Bills have been a bad organization and have rightfully deserved it. But, at least give things a chance. For example, I didn't like the RR hire when it happened. I did however get on board because we had new ownership, he had been to and won in the playoffs, he had had as much success against Brady as anyone etc. I just don't understand how folks can come on here day after day and decide the new coach is a loser because the Bills hired him. No hope. Doomed! I don't see anything gained by not giving it a chance, do we have a choice? You and I both know the answer to that. Now if in 3-4 years we go by and we go 6-10,3-13,5-11 and have no franchise QB, no direction and a first time coach who's not getting it done. That is a different story. There are a handful who are either blind optimists or negative downers who crusade and ruin it. I hate coming on and trying to get info and someone creates a thread about a player or coach. And, immediately there is a guy who comes on and says McWrestler will screw it up because Pegula hired him and he's clueless and they should have hired a GM first and Taylor sucks. BTW, I don't include you in that category, you did a nice job being objective with your spots after games for years. :thumbsup:

People drive their own misery largely by dwelling on the 17 years without a playoff appearance stat. It is pure foolishness to do that to yourself. You're better off trying to push that into the back of your mind and focus on this season and this most recent team. You can't change the past. You do have a lot of control about your present and future though. May as well look forward and make plans for things to be better.

I don't think being critical of mistakes, obvious or otherwise is investing in negative outcomes, either. All of us have been critical and deservedly so from time to time. That is actually healthy, imo.

But there's a difference between that and confidently predicting doom as many do around here. From saying a new coach isn't qualified and we'll have a losing record because of it to betting that Watkins will sustain another serious injury in the first month of the season to whatever; that isn't just being critical. That is predicting negative outcomes and investing in them.

People drive their own misery largely by dwelling on the 17 years without a playoff appearance stat. It is pure foolishness to do that to yourself. You're better off trying to push that into the back of your mind and focus on this season and this most recent team. You can't change the past. You do have a lot of control about your present and future though. May as well look forward and make plans for things to be better.

Indeed!

You eternal optimist you! :nana:

great call. i try to approach every year with a clean slate where anything can happen. if i didn't do this, i would have probably stopped watching years ago.

I agree that being blindly optimistic is as flawed as being blindly negative. The truth is somewhere in the middle. There are good things, and there are bad things. The realist recognizes that. BUT, would you rather being around an Eyore always pointing to (or even just imagining) negatives to whine and complain about, or an upbeat, positive person who looks for ways things can improve and makes people around them feel better? If you have to chose one (flawed) extreme, I know which I prefer.

Try to see the whole picture.

Edited by Augie