The Crying Game: Consolidated thread for the downers

i don't think there's any problem with negativity unless it stops you from having an intelligent argument, (not that i'm brimming with intelligent arguments).

we all know the type that no matter what the move the bills make, it's terrible because 17 years. the bills have made some solid moves over the past years, but those move never seem to come together at the same time, under the right circumstances to make the playoffs. they can still be talked about as positives, but some just won't have it.

it's lazy debate...especially when someone thinks they're especially knowledgeable because they say everything the bills do is wrong. believe it or not, it doesn't make them right.

all that being said, it's certainly understandable to be down on this team.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............... whew, ran out of breath :lol:

i don't think there's any problem with negativity unless it stops you from having an intelligent argument, (not that i'm brimming with intelligent arguments).

we all know the type that no matter what the move the bills make, it's terrible because 17 years. the bills have made some solid moves over the past years, but those move never seem to come together at the same time, under the right circumstances to make the playoffs. they can still be talked about as positives, but some just won't have it.

it's lazy debate...especially when someone thinks they're especially knowledgeable because they say everything the bills do is wrong. believe it or not, it doesn't make them right.

Great post!

We should create a thread for those who wish Two Bills Drive to operate as a cyber North Korea. There they can eternally clap for Dear Leaders Terry and Kim Pegula, God's Appointed Representatives on Earth, along with all people that Terry and Kim deem good enough to work for them.

All cheering for Terry and Kim's employees will end once Terry and Kim terminate their employment for the Bills. Then they will be regarded as totally incompetent as well as evil.

If you can hold all these ideas in your head at once at the same time, congratulations. You are a pusher of Dear Leaders and Their 2 Year Plans.

We should create a thread for those who wish Two Bills Drive to operate as a cyber North Korea. There they can eternally clap for Dear Leaders Terry and Kim Pegula, God's Appointed Representatives on Earth, along with all people that Terry and Kim deem good enough to work for them.

All cheering for Terry and Kim's employees will end once Terry and Kim terminate their employment for the Bills. Then they will be regarded as totally incompetent as well as evil.

If you can hold all these ideas in your head at once at the same time, congratulations. You are a pusher of Dear Leaders and Their 2 Year Plans.

You'd fit in nicely in North Korea.

Jeff if they drafted Mahomes they could have had a monkey on the sidelines sending in plays just like the draft selection. Be honest, this is more about the nondraftig of your favorite qb prospect more than the abilities teamat the fo/ownership level.

Isn't this how it already works here?

It would be nice to have people with critical thinking skills dominate but I understand that those with no critical thinking skills will want to participate. My issue with this type is their constant bullying of the people who bring more to the table.

I don't know how the people who always rip the Negative Nancies and try to correct other fans for not being good enough, reconcile that at the end of the year that the Bills once again are multiple games away from contention?

You want to tell others how to be a fan, and yet you are wrong every single year.

I want the Bills to win for my family and the Buffalo area, but they are squarely in prove it territory, with no benefit of the doubt given.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

The premise of the thread is fine, I suppose, if one defines one's terms correctly. An irrational downer is someone who instinctively faults everything OBD does and perhaps uses "17 years" as justification. There are irrational optimists who the former often call "homers." Over the years, I have often been branded a homer, so I find it ironic that recently I have caught flack for being a "downer" because I question the direction of the current team. Imo, it is somewhat unsettling to see how much power McD appears to have accrued before he has ever coached a down as head coach of an NFL team. I generally liked Doug Whaley, though his performance was mixed and it's fine if the Pegulas decided to go another direction. The way they have chosen to do so, however, apparently investing an unproven first-time head coach with inordinate power, causes me to suspect McD is just the latest infatuation, rather than part of a well-thought out logical command structure. I could be wrong on this and I hope it works out.

Further, imo, the difference in the NFL from when I was a kid and today is the hyper-inflated importance of the qb. The rb used to be of equal or more importance. Until we get a franchise qb, we will always be hoping to catch a ton of breaks just to top out at a wild card team or so. I certainly don't see Super bowl wins without one and I have always thought that was the point of the game, not just to make the playoffs. I don't think Cardale Jones and a fifth-round rag-arm qb are likely to turn into a franchise qb. Hooray if they do. Taylor is a bridge, but only if you end up with a franchise qb destination. If Taylor makes a huge leap, fantastic -- I will be very surprised. So, if emphasizing the need for urgency and intelligence in securing a franchise qb, hopefully in 2018, makes one a downer in some folk's books, have at it. My main "tactical" worry is that we will continue to be a mediocre team, too good to get a prime draft pick and too bad to be more than a team whose mathematical possibility for the playoffs dwindles to zero some time in December.

You have to understand that some people exist solely for this team and in their mind any critcism of the team is a critcism of them which is something they simply cant handle on an emotional level. There are a pack of them here and they attack like wolves if anyone is critical of this organization.

Do you mean like people that spew negativity about other posters who allegedly spew negativity?

How can people make negative posts about other fans, let alone start entire threads slamming them, and then claim to not be negative?

It's very strange.

You are confusing negativity with others vs. negativity towards the team. I do not understand how some like to come on and post how bad a new HC will be when he hasn't even had the chance to coach a game, or how they know the team will have a terrible record when we don't even know what the roster is yet. Or how they are going to quit watching the team or give up their tickets as if that is somehow supposed to convince others to do the same.

So am I negative about the team? Not right now; I'm in a wait and see mode. Am I negative about the kind of incessant doom and gloom posters? Yes, because it serves my purpose.

It serves NO purpose

The premise of the thread is fine, I suppose, if one defines one's terms correctly. An irrational downer is someone who instinctively faults everything OBD does and perhaps uses "17 years" as justification. There are irrational optimists who the former often call "homers." Over the years, I have often been branded a homer, so I find it ironic that recently I have caught flack for being a "downer" because I question the direction of the current team. Imo, it is somewhat unsettling to see how much power McD appears to have accrued before he has ever coached a down as head coach of an NFL team. I generally liked Doug Whaley, though his performance was mixed and it's fine if the Pegulas decided to go another direction. The way they have chosen to do so, however, apparently investing an unproven first-time head coach with inordinate power, causes me to suspect McD is just the latest infatuation, rather than part of a well-thought out logical command structure. I could be wrong on this and I hope it works out.

This is well written and I agree with every word of it.

I think you have to look at how the team is constructed. Offensively, this is the best this set of Bills are going to be, if not past their primes a tad. Incognito is in his mid-30's, Glenn is 27, McCoy will turn 29 this summer, Watkins is in the last year of his contract, Wood is in his 30's, Clay is 28. We lost Woods and Gilislee (both squarely in their prime).

Defensively, for me it's a depth study. No emerging DTs behind Dareus and Williams (34 now), thin at DE with just Hughes (29 years), a couple of linebackers, unproven at corner and no depth at Safety. IMO the defensive scheme changes, and lack of investment in DE/DT and LB have caught up to the Bills. There aren't many up and coming young players on this side of the ball.

So you put it together and I don't see where the Bills have gotten any better in terms of talent. I guess we are hoping Tyrod gets better, Sammy stays healthy and Bills target him, and McDermott gets the Bills back to a better defensive scheme. With the schedule, it feels like a 6 win team.

I think you have to look at how the team is constructed. Offensively, this is the best this set of Bills are going to be, if not past their primes a tad. Incognito is in his mid-30's, Glenn is 27, McCoy will turn 29 this summer, Watkins is in the last year of his contract, Wood is in his 30's, Clay is 28. We lost Woods and Gilislee (both squarely in their prime).

Defensively, for me it's a depth study. No emerging DTs behind Dareus and Williams (34 now), thin at DE with just Hughes (29 years), a couple of linebackers, unproven at corner and no depth at Safety. IMO the defensive scheme changes, and lack of investment in DE/DT and LB have caught up to the Bills. There aren't many up and coming young players on this side of the ball.

So you put it together and I don't see where the Bills have gotten any better in terms of talent. I guess we are hoping Tyrod gets better, Sammy stays healthy and Bills target him, and McDermott gets the Bills back to a better defensive scheme. With the schedule, it feels like a 6 win team.

How you can say they have no one behind William/Dareus and Hughes while ignoring the fact that they just drafted Lawson and Washington last year is where I would suggest you're being negative just to be negative.

Do you mean like people that spew negativity about other posters who allegedly spew negativity?

How can people make negative posts about other fans, let alone start entire threads slamming them, and then claim to not be negative?

It's very strange.

+1

It seems stump-simple to me: if you don't like people complaining, don't complain about the complaining (that makes you part of the problem); start something positive instead - model the behavior you'd like to see.

With every new season comes new opportunity. As always I will be interested to see how some of the younger players develop. I will obviously be interested in seeing how our new HC operates during games and how our offense operates under the new OC- especially to see them use Sammy more often assuming he's healthy. See a new approach to the D.

We need some of the injured 2016 draft to show up and for McD to find a way to use them. I suspect your assessment is correct, however. This is not a bad year to be bad given the 2018 qb class. Mediocre never gets you anywhere, however, which is our brand of treadmill.

I don't know how the people who always rip the Negative Nancies and try to correct other fans for not being good enough, reconcile that at the end of the year that the Bills once again are multiple games away from contention?

You want to tell others how to be a fan, and yet you are wrong every single year.

I want the Bills to win for my family and the Buffalo area, but they are squarely in prove it territory, with no benefit of the doubt given.

Right on. And if you're constantly making up excuses for people (Whaley, Rex, etc.), & then the Bills fire them, I guess that means your standards are lower than OBD's. But as long as you're positive about it...

You have to understand that some people exist solely for this team and in their mind any critcism of the team is a critcism of them which is something they simply cant handle on an emotional level. There are a pack of them here and they attack like wolves if anyone is critical of this organization.

There are certainly posters who fall on that side of the spectrum as well. As with most topics, people who tend to lean too much towards an extreme are gross.