2015 All Over Again...

I was just thinking about the great mistake that the collective fanbase made when Rex was hired, and how we all assumed that our defense would be equal or better than it was in 2014 with him at the helm. This has me reasonably concerned that we are making the same mistake with the offense, assuming that TT and Co will be able to run Dennison's offense nearly as efficiently as they were able to run the Roman/Lynn offense. Where do you think that our offense ends up in the standings this year?

I was just thinking about the great mistake that the collective fanbase made when Rex was hired, and how we all assumed that our defense would be equal or better than it was in 2014 with him at the helm. This has me reasonably concerned that we are making the same mistake with the offense, assuming that TT and Co will be able to run Dennison's offense nearly as efficiently as they were able to run the Roman/Lynn offense. Where do you think that our offense ends up in the standings this year?

The problem is people are really underrating Greg Roman. Roman was the run coordinator for Harbaugh and helped the 49ers and Kaepernick get to a Superbowl. Dennison at this point is a souped up Modkins. He had more input but Kubiak was in charge.

As for the points argument, all year it was Tyrod ='s points. Well, when the real games begin we will see this argument look kind of silly. If a CB like Gilmore intercepts the ball and takes the ball to the 3 yard line and Shady run it in, points. Points are important but reflect many moving parts.

I expect Tyrod to have some nice games against crap teams and to again struggle against .500 teams or better as he did last year. It also means I expect Bills to lose lots of close games as Tyrod cannot make the throws necessary in the 4th quarter when other teams know he has to throw.

Edited by jeffismagic

The problem is people are really underrating Greg Roman. Roman was the run coordinator for Harbaugh and helped the 49ers and Kaepernick get to a Superbowl. Dennison at this point is a souped up Modkins. He had more input but Kubiak was in charge.

As for the points argument, all year it was Tyrod ='s points. Well, when the real games begin we will see this argument look kind of silly. If a CB like Gilmore intercepts the ball and takes the ball to the 3 yard line and Shady run it in, points. Points are important but reflect many moving parts.

I expect Tyrod to have some nice games against crap teams and to again struggle against .500 teams or better as he did last year. It also means I expect Bills to lose lots of close games as Tyrod cannot make the throws necessary in the 4th quarter when other teams know he has to throw.

the real question is whether or not our defense will struggle against miami and the jets?

I never assumed that our defense would be as good or better under Rex - in fact, I had a feeling it would be like Gregg Williams dismantling a great defense to implement his own scheme, and failing miserably because the personnel didn't match the scheme. Sadly, I was right.

As for the offense under Dennison, it's hard to predict, since he wasn't the play-caller under Kubiak. But it looks like the offense he runs is pretty compatible with the BIlls' personnel.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/20/14331974/rick-dennison-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator-tyrod-taylor-all-22

i know...you're predicting lots of injuries and they will get worse in the new scheme. if healthy i think they can be better in this new scheme.

I didn't predict injuries. What I said is that just a few injuries could make our defense bottom 5 as there is no depth on the roster. We just had a draft loaded with talent where Bills gave away picks.

I didn't predict injuries. What I said is that just a few injuries could make our defense bottom 5 as there is no depth on the roster. We just had a draft loaded with talent where Bills gave away picks.

ahh the depth argument. weak.

The Bills back 7 is a mess depth wise.

depends. if darby gets back to 2015 form and white plays well along with hyde our secondary looks grat. if rags is healthy we also look pretty good there. a couple ifs but i think we'll be ok

i told you dummies that the defense would be a trainrex with Rex. it takes 2 years to get the right players and 3 years to master a defensive system. now we are going back to the 4-3 but we don't have the LB's for it and we have man-to-man corners that are now going to be playing zone and need to provide help in the run game but combined they weigh less than me. anyone that expects immediate success is in for a surprise

i told you dummies that the defense would be a trainrex with Rex. it takes 2 years to get the right players and 3 years to master a defensive system. now we are going back to the 4-3 but we don't have the LB's for it and we have man-to-man corners that are now going to be playing zone and need to provide help in the run game but combined they weigh less than me. anyone that expects immediate success is in for a surprise

And when Sean hasn't hit .500 in two years he is gone and a new scheme change.

I expect the O to end up in the top 12, but with more balance. ~35 Pass Attempts per game and ~25 Rush Attempts per game as opposed to last year's 29/31 split.

No way Tyrod throws 35 times a game. Unless you are trying to get a top 5 pick.

I expect the O to end up in the top 12, but with more balance. ~35 Pass Attempts per game and ~25 Rush Attempts per game as opposed to last year's 29/31 split.

this. I have no interest in seeing last year's offense. I would take a drop in rushing rankings if it meant more balance -->. more wins. Edited by YoloinOhio

keep that big run game going. I expect a healthy sammy to give tyrod the big game offense we missed this past year. so i expect around 5th in scoring and in top ten for total yards. But that won't mean much if our defense gets worse.

Roman has been skewered for limiting Taylor's playbook. That's an unfair take on Roman's handling of TT and the offense. Roman is a respected offensive coordinator who no doubt favors the run game more than most coordinators. He's now the OC for Baltimore. What he did exceptionally well when he was with the Bills is manage Taylor's limitations and exploit as much as possible his strengths. Taylor had half a playbook to work with because he couldn't execute the other half. There weren't many middle of the field throws or seam routes or second or third read passes because he wasn't good at that area of the passing game. Surprisingly, TT throws one of the best long balls in the game.

When a player playing any position has weaknesses/vulnerabilities as time goes by they will be exploited. What the Bills have done well in the recent past, most notably the run game, will be taken away. My concern with TT as a qb isn't that there are things that he does well, because he does do some things well, my concern is over the things that he doesn't do well and most likely will never upgrade enough in those areas to become a more well rounded qb who can run a more well rounded offense.

The Bills were bad in creating turnover-generated points the last couple of seasons. Last season, they were 13th in plays per drive, 12th in yards per drive, and 9th in yards per drive. Their drive start position was league average. Not sure of your point here. Edited by dave mcbride

actually, many thought Rex was the wrong hire. Atleast on BBMB, many wanted Hue Jackson in order to keep Schwartz. And aside from that the 2014 defense played at a much higher level than the 2016 offense. I don't believe the 2016 offense will be hard to atleast match.

The Bills were bad in creating turnover-generated points the last couple of seasons. Not sure of your point here.

The QB is just assumed to be the driver for points because that's the best number they can find. My point was that points is the reflection of so many moving parts that it is not a sound way to evaluate the QB play.

The QB is just assumed to be the driver for points because that's the best number they can find. My point was that points is the reflection of so many moving parts that it is not a sound way to evaluate the QB play.

I agree that there a lot of moving parts and I think the Roman system was good. Still, I thought Taylor was good. See the edit in my post above.

I agree that there a lot of moving parts and I think the Roman system was good. Still, I thought Taylor was good. See the edit in my post above.

Well, we will have to disagree again but "good" is a pretty subjective term. Good enough to win some games, I grant you that. Not good enough to be a difference maker needed for me.

The only teams that I see that we are "better" than in the AFC are the Jets and the Browns and I think the Jets have more talent on their roster right now than we do.

I'm expecting a bottom 5 overall team, honestly. Our best players are old. No established QB. New offensive scheme. New defensive scheme.

Kyle Williams is a year older, 3 LBs who might not fit the defense, starting CBs with very little experience. Shaq Lawson is a question mark as a starting DE.

I'm fine with this though because I was of the opinion after Rex year 1 this team needed to be completely rebuilt anyway.

Our defense won't be good, let's put it that way.

awesome outlook on the season.

looking forward to you being totally wrong but I can see where someone like yourself would have such a poor outlook.

here's to looking forward to a better season where the defense gets back to form.

what will you be doing, watching golf or paint dry?

Tenhigh, with all due respect, I think you might be making a mistake yourself, by comparing back to back HC cases, the former being Rex the one that assumed what you state, and the latter being a totally different situation, because we have not heard or read any such assumption from McD about the Offense, and even though we as fans can assume what we want, so what´s your point on being concerned?...

Edited by BuffaLoko

awesome outlook on the season.

looking forward to you being totally wrong but I can see where someone like yourself would have such a poor outlook.

here's to looking forward to a better season where the defense gets back to form.

what will you be doing, watching golf or paint dry?

I think we have a winner for the Bills marketing slogan for 2017.

Roman has been skewered for limiting Taylor's playbook. That's an unfair take on Roman's handling of TT and the offense. Roman is a respected offensive coordinator who no doubt favors the run game more than most coordinators. He's now the OC for Baltimore. What he did exceptionally well when he was with the Bills is manage Taylor's limitations and exploit as much as possible his strengths. Taylor had half a playbook to work with because he couldn't execute the other half. There weren't many middle of the field throws or seam routes or second or third read passes because he wasn't good at that area of the passing game. Surprisingly, TT throws one of the best long balls in the game.

When a player playing any position has weaknesses/vulnerabilities as time goes by they will be exploited. What the Bills have done well in the recent past, most notably the run game, will be taken away. My concern with TT as a qb isn't that there are things that he does well, because he does do some things well, my concern is over the things that he doesn't do well and most likely will never upgrade enough in those areas to become a more well rounded qb who can run a more well rounded offense.

Perhaps Roman misread TT abilities. With Lynn the throws you say TT can't make he made. The offense was much more dynamic as the season went on. WR injuries limited the offense. Im not saying Roman is bad. But perhaps he did not recognize everything TT could do.

Wow nice post man right on I agree.

I'd also like to add that I feel the run game did better because our WRs went out of there way to help it happen. With Woods gone and Sammy in limbo about how long he will be here while trying to stay healthy all season and a new scheme I don't see our WRs helping as much in the run support. In my opinion this offense isn't going to look as good and Tyrod is going to continue to regress. Just my opinion

Perhaps Roman misread TT abilities. With Lynn the throws you say TT can't make he made. The offense was much more dynamic as the season went on. WR injuries limited the offense. Im not saying Roman is bad. But perhaps he did not recognize everything TT could do.

You do realize that Lynn had to simplify the offense even more for Tyrod and that's why the better teams were able to hold Tyrod in check. I don't think he misread it I think he wanted more throws and just tried real hard to push a round peg in a square hole thinking Tyrod would improve but instead proved Tyrod is what he is a limited QB or what many like to call him, Flacco's backup. Edited by xRUSHx

Roman's biggest shortcomings were preparing more plays than the team would conceivably run, leading to a lack of execution, and an offense that was too wordy causing lengthy play calls and a lack of time at the line to scan and adjust.

my 2 cents

Roman's biggest shortcomings were preparing more plays than the team would conceivably run, leading to a lack of execution, and an offense that was too wordy causing lengthy play calls and a lack of time at the line to scan and adjust.

my 2 cents

I think Roman was the master designer and A Lynn was a better playcaller.

I think Roman was the master designer and A Lynn was a better playcaller.

I don't think he is a better play caller I think Rex just told him to simplify it and just do what he knows Tyrod can do, sadly even that wasn't enough to get the wins.