2015 All Over Again...

I was just thinking about the great mistake that the collective fanbase made when Rex was hired, and how we all assumed that our defense would be equal or better than it was in 2014 with him at the helm. This has me reasonably concerned that we are making the same mistake with the offense, assuming that TT and Co will be able to run Dennison's offense nearly as efficiently as they were able to run the Roman/Lynn offense. Where do you think that our offense ends up in the standings this year?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about the great mistake that the collective fanbase made when Rex was hired, and how we all assumed that our defense would be equal or better than it was in 2014 with him at the helm. This has me reasonably concerned that we are making the same mistake with the offense, assuming that TT and Co will be able to run Dennison's offense nearly as efficiently as they were able to run the Roman/Lynn offense. Where do you think that our offense ends up in the standings this year?

The problem is people are really underrating Greg Roman. Roman was the run coordinator for Harbaugh and helped the 49ers and Kaepernick get to a Superbowl. Dennison at this point is a souped up Modkins. He had more input but Kubiak was in charge.

As for the points argument, all year it was Tyrod ='s points. Well, when the real games begin we will see this argument look kind of silly. If a CB like Gilmore intercepts the ball and takes the ball to the 3 yard line and Shady run it in, points. Points are important but reflect many moving parts.

I expect Tyrod to have some nice games against crap teams and to again struggle against .500 teams or better as he did last year. It also means I expect Bills to lose lots of close games as Tyrod cannot make the throws necessary in the 4th quarter when other teams know he has to throw.

Edited by jeffismagic

The problem is people are really underrating Greg Roman. Roman was the run coordinator for Harbaugh and helped the 49ers and Kaepernick get to a Superbowl. Dennison at this point is a souped up Modkins. He had more input but Kubiak was in charge.

As for the points argument, all year it was Tyrod ='s points. Well, when the real games begin we will see this argument look kind of silly. If a CB like Gilmore intercepts the ball and takes the ball to the 3 yard line and Shady run it in, points. Points are important but reflect many moving parts.

I expect Tyrod to have some nice games against crap teams and to again struggle against .500 teams or better as he did last year. It also means I expect Bills to lose lots of close games as Tyrod cannot make the throws necessary in the 4th quarter when other teams know he has to throw.

the real question is whether or not our defense will struggle against miami and the jets?

I never assumed that our defense would be as good or better under Rex - in fact, I had a feeling it would be like Gregg Williams dismantling a great defense to implement his own scheme, and failing miserably because the personnel didn't match the scheme. Sadly, I was right.

As for the offense under Dennison, it's hard to predict, since he wasn't the play-caller under Kubiak. But it looks like the offense he runs is pretty compatible with the BIlls' personnel.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/20/14331974/rick-dennison-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator-tyrod-taylor-all-22

i know...you're predicting lots of injuries and they will get worse in the new scheme. if healthy i think they can be better in this new scheme.

I didn't predict injuries. What I said is that just a few injuries could make our defense bottom 5 as there is no depth on the roster. We just had a draft loaded with talent where Bills gave away picks.

I didn't predict injuries. What I said is that just a few injuries could make our defense bottom 5 as there is no depth on the roster. We just had a draft loaded with talent where Bills gave away picks.

ahh the depth argument. weak.

The Bills back 7 is a mess depth wise.

depends. if darby gets back to 2015 form and white plays well along with hyde our secondary looks grat. if rags is healthy we also look pretty good there. a couple ifs but i think we'll be ok

i told you dummies that the defense would be a trainrex with Rex. it takes 2 years to get the right players and 3 years to master a defensive system. now we are going back to the 4-3 but we don't have the LB's for it and we have man-to-man corners that are now going to be playing zone and need to provide help in the run game but combined they weigh less than me. anyone that expects immediate success is in for a surprise

i told you dummies that the defense would be a trainrex with Rex. it takes 2 years to get the right players and 3 years to master a defensive system. now we are going back to the 4-3 but we don't have the LB's for it and we have man-to-man corners that are now going to be playing zone and need to provide help in the run game but combined they weigh less than me. anyone that expects immediate success is in for a surprise

And when Sean hasn't hit .500 in two years he is gone and a new scheme change.

I expect the O to end up in the top 12, but with more balance. ~35 Pass Attempts per game and ~25 Rush Attempts per game as opposed to last year's 29/31 split.

No way Tyrod throws 35 times a game. Unless you are trying to get a top 5 pick.