17 members of Bills scouting staff fired.

JM2009

Looks like those of you who have been claiming Pegula's the cause of all the incompetence with the Sabres were right all along. This is lunacy.

I look at it like - theyre going in another direction from Whaley. So Whaleys gone, and all of his scouts go with him. It sucks, but they're restructuring that entire group and will be starting fresh.

I don't blame the scouting staff for the situation we are in, nor can I say that individually one of them was better than anyone else. That's on coaching and development - which have been poor for years.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

Best post in the thread. Good job, Kirby.

On the one hand, I'm glad Terry isn't pleased with Whaley's 30-34 record. On the other hand, you can't put all the blame on the scouting staff. Our coaching hasn't been good during that span and you don't know how much DW and the team followed the recommendations of the scouts.

The bigger issue, of course, is about empathy. I'll never celebrate someone else's adversity. I don't think regional scouts get paid a lot of money and now their families will suffer. We'll see in the months/years ahead whether or not this was a good day for the Buffalo Bills. But it was definitely not a good day for those families.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This is a dramatic restructuring.

I felt strongly Bills had some fine scouts. especially pro scouts.

right thing to do ? probably.

But this is reset might ask us for even more patience.

stupid Rex

Compassion should always be in play.

did not our beloved Terry weep ?

aint easy making that call.

he knows what they just did.

They may have got very nice severance packages too (don't know but I assume they got severance) - which makes the loss of a job much more palatable.

On another note....I wonder how hard it is to replace scouts in the NFL - I mean replace them with higher performing scouts. Seems like that might be a challenge and could set this team back.

The bigger issue, of course, is about empathy. I'll never celebrate someone else's adversity. I don't think regional scouts get paid a lot of money and now their families will suffer. We'll see in the months/years ahead whether or not this was a good day for the Buffalo Bills. But it was definitely not a good day for those families.

A few times in the recent past, Matt Miller of Bleacher Report has spoken about being sounded out for an entry-level scouting position in the NFL. According to him, BR pays him at least as much as the NFL would.

If anyone ever asks why media types don't have NFL jobs, it's because it's not worth it. Especially in Miller's case with young children.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

Kirby,

I agree with your premises but the fact is they have had way more misses than hits over the last 17 years. If they were working in any other career they would have been let go years ago. Do I feel bad that they lost their jobs?....sure, a little but not that much, and here is why. They weren't very good at their job and the last 17 years of mainly poor talent on this team proves that. Maybe they didn't have to let go EVERYONE but they did. oh well. Speaking from someone that has lost their job because he was told he did his job to well and was no longer needed anymore, I can't...scratch that.....I wont feel all that bad for them.

BigPappy

They may have got very nice severance packages too (don't know but I assume they got severance) - which makes the loss of a job much more palatable.

On another note....I wonder how hard it is to replace scouts in the NFL - I mean replace them with higher performing scouts. Seems like that might be a challenge and could set this team back.

I wonder the same thing. There can't be a lot of guys with both the ability to do the work and the willingness (given all the travel).

Wouldn't have been smarter to just fire DW and let the new guy figure out who to keep and who to ditch?

Kirby,

I agree with your premises but the fact is they have had way more misses than hits over the last 17 years. If they were working in any other career they would have been let go years ago. Do I feel bad that they lost their jobs?....sure, a little but not that much, and here is why. They weren't very good at their job and the last 17 years of mainly poor talent on this team proves that. Maybe they didn't have to let go EVERYONE but they did. oh well. Speaking from someone that has lost their job because he was told he did his job to well and was no longer needed anymore, I can't...scratch that.....I wont feel all that bad for them.

BigPappy

Except they weren't there for 17 years, and to your point some are obviously better than others. The Bills received high draft grades all over so surely EVERYONE can't be bad at evaluating talent? I just feel for people that have to change their life because of it. They need the jobs a lot more than a fired coach or player. That's the point.

I wonder the same thing. There can't be a lot of guys with both the ability to do the work and the willingness (given all the travel).

Wouldn't have been smarter to just fire DW and let the new guy figure out who to keep and who to ditch?

Here is an idea - probably worthless idea - but fun nonetheless

Create a public record for wannabe scouts where they can publish their player reports and player rankings so that they are recorded over time. After a number of years, it will be evident who the best scouts are.

I have no idea how the teams go about finding new scouts and evaluating them. Seems like it would be extremely challenging to find the best guys.

Except they weren't there for 17 years, and to your point some are obviously better than others. The Bills received high draft grades all over so surely EVERYONE can't be bad at evaluating talent? I just feel for people that have to change their life because of it. They need the jobs a lot more than a fired coach or player. That's the point.

They have to know it is a huge risk when they get into that line of work. Like a politician. You could be out of a job any year. I can't imagine guys actually expecting to be able to keep a job with the same team for decades - especially not a team like Buffalo who has been rotating in new General Managers as often as they have.

Edited by PolishDave

Here is an idea - probably worthless idea - but fun nonetheless

Create a public record for wannabe scouts where they can publish their player reports and player rankings so that they are recorded over time. After a number of years, it will be evident who the best scouts are on who participated in it.

I have no idea how the teams go about finding new scouts and evaluating them. Seems like it would be extremely challenging to find the best guys.

They have to know it is a huge risk when they get into that line of work. Like a politician. You could be out of a job any year. I can't imagine guys actually expecting to be able to keep a job with the same team for decades - especially not a team like Buffalo who has been rotating in new General Managers as often as they have.

The NFL is a glaringly obvious high turnover at any level these days.

The romance is definitely out the door in our current era. traditions etc. And as so many here have said.

Its a business.

Money is good I guess. But it seems to the root cause of some things i do not care for. The degradation of the word "Team" to start with

: (

The NFL is a glaringly obvious high turnover at any level these days.

The romance is definitely out the door in our current era. traditions etc. And as so many here have said.

Its a business.

Money is good I guess. But it seems to the root cause of some things i do not care for. The degradation of the word "Team" to start with

: (

The money isn't good everywhere. There are a lot of people in scouting making under $100k (some probably half of that). Those are the people that I feel worst for. If Aaron Williams gets released, his mortgage is still paid.

They know that the job isn't guaranteed. If people read what I wrote I never once said "everyone should stay." I said "no one should celebrate foot solider employees losing their jobs." That is what I took issue with. I do think it's crazy to dump 17 people. I would have kept the good and cut the bad but I get it. My issue was with someone saying "good" when reading the news.

Hopefully all of them will get a look when it is time to build a staff.

If they are worth their weight, i would like to hope most guys who are at the senior level know who shines.

it was more important to hit a full refresh for Pegulas.

I honestly think, they want to fully and completely want to be the ones to "own up" when the BNuts come pecking.
This is a quality that endears them to me. Even if they are wrong from here on, that want to be the Focus of our insatiable ire.
No more pinning the tail upon a donkey/flavor of choice/the week for media.

Kirby i know you take this personally to some degree, and i respect it. But I feel the cream of those who were employed at OBD will be employed again somewhere.

and the others will work hard to up their game.

ps i was one who mentioned more than once that promoting Fischer and Monos being pretty awesome moves.

Pegula did the right thing. Hopefull we are all better for it in the long run :thumbsup:

I agree that noone should be happy about the firings of scouts that were doing their jobs. However, has anyone asked these scouts if Mr. Pegula took care of them via some sort of severance? I mean the guy is loaded and had no qualms with giving rex free money....

I dont understand why the pro personnel side got released...those guys uncovered more hidden gems from waiver wire, practice squad pickups, and low budget FA's than any other team in the league...

doesn't make much sense to me...

Baby with bath water; just easier (less work) this way.

They contacted me and said I'm the only one on this forum that knows what they are talking about. I doubt any of you scrubs will get a shot ;)

Good. Maybe you can be the new king of BBMB when they reestablish it.

Maybe 1 day some of these people will find themselves in a spot where their employer starts handing out pink slips for something other than performance based reasons. I wonder if they'll realize how classless they're being now?

Been done to me because the new team lead wanted his own people in and then set me up for failure.

So long Leroi, who ever you are...

They have not cut the janitorial staff yet.

And you weren't happy when Wade, Williams, Jauron, Gailey, and Ryan were fired? Come on. . .they are good people. They have to tell their spouses they no longer had jobs.

How about players that get cut? I didn't see any weeping when Mario Williams, Mike Williams, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Rob Johnson, etc. . .got cut from this team? People were celebrating those "firings."

Come on. . .save the lamentations for the ignorant.

Edited by Overseas Bills Fan

I dont understand why the pro personnel side got released...those guys uncovered more hidden gems from waiver wire, practice squad pickups, and low budget FA's than any other team in the league...

doesn't make much sense to me...

I agree, they did find some gems on the trash pile. They will probably be snatched up by the Patriots. They will no longer need to poach guys like Gilislee and Hogan. They can do it for themselves.

And you weren't happy when Wade, Williams, Jauron, Gailey, and Ryan were fired? Come on. . .they are good people. They have to tell their spouses they no longer had jobs.

How about players that get cut? I didn't see any weeping when Mario Williams, Mike Williams, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Rob Johnson, etc. . .got cut from this team? People were celebrating those "firings."

Maybe read the whole thread instead of just the first post.

Edited by Tenhigh

It's not the same thing dude. Coaches and players get paid millions in salary. They can work a few years and be set for life if they are smart with their money. Some of the other guys in the office earn blue collar wages. That is the main difference. Kirby has worked there. So I am guessing he knows examples of the guys who got canned. Don't be a dick about it.

I look at it like - theyre going in another direction from Whaley. So Whaleys gone, and all of his scouts go with him. It sucks, but they're restructuring that entire group and will be starting fresh.

I don't blame the scouting staff for the situation we are in, nor can I say that individually one of them was better than anyone else. That's on coaching and development - which have been poor for years.

that's how it is. It really doesn't matter that the pro personnel side was good. They are Whaley's guys and worked according to his vision, and may have loyalty toward him. You have to clear out everyone. Keeping holdovers from a previous regime Can lead to those leaks you see from JLC if they are pissed DW got fired. They are going in a different direction when it comes to a team building vision. Also I highly doubt we see any more leaks to JLC. Edited by YoloinOhio