17 members of Bills scouting staff fired.

JM2009

I don't see these people as 'regular people' despite their salary.

But I guess it doesn't matter.

Personally I don't care when random people lose their jobs unless they are my friend or family. But I guess that is what makes different folks stroke.

I have no compassion for them - they have it better than 99% of the world and 95% of all Americans.

I am about as polar opposite a personality as you can get based on the above... but leaving that aside for a second why do you not consider them "regular people"?

If I earn above that $40k - $60k a year range but don't work in the NFL am I a "regular person"? Is it the salary or the job you think makes them somehow irregular?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some thoughts from around the league on the Bills situation:

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

Apparently the Saints would have taken Mahomes at 11 if their best reporter is correct.

Good read. I think they hit the nail on the head when it said the Pegulas have no clue how to run a sports franchise. One other thing, how could it be possible that Whaley didn't see it coming. I spoke to my friends FIL at the draft party(he works for the Bills) & he said the whole scouting staff & possibly Whaley is getting canned right after the draft. If my friends FIL knew(he is semi retired & works for the Bills part time so he is not high up on the food chain at 1 bills drive) how couldn't Doug at least have a suspicion. I guess it goes to show you the lack of foresight this guy has. Also if it is true MCD went to Pegs & wanted to bring his guy in behind Whaley's back after throwing public support for Whaley every chance he got that is pretty sleezy if you ask me. I am not sold on Mcd. He seems like a bit of weasel if you ask me.

Good read. I think they hit the nail on the head when it said the Pegulas have no clue how to run a sports franchise. One other thing, how could it be possible that Whaley didn't see it coming. I spoke to my friends FIL at the draft party(he works for the Bills) & he said the whole scouting staff & possibly Whaley is getting canned right after the draft. If my friends FIL knew(he is semi retired & works for the Bills part time so he is not high up on the food chain at 1 bills drive) how couldn't Doug at least have a suspicion. I guess it goes to show you the lack of foresight this guy has. Also if it is true MCD went to Pegs & wanted to bring his guy in behind Whaley's back after throwing public support for Whaley every chance he got that is pretty sleezy if you ask me. I am not sold on Mcd. He seems like a bit of weasel if you ask me.

Agree on all fronts, although Whaley must have known.

One thing that is kind of interesting is that a lot of people are saying "hire the good ones back." The reality is someone else will hire the good ones and you will be left with your worst scouts and a bunch of people that other teams don't want. How in the world do they plan on assembling a good staff?!?

Agree on all fronts, although Whaley must have known.

One thing that is kind of interesting is that a lot of people are saying "hire the good ones back." The reality is someone else will hire the good ones and you will be left with your worst scouts and a bunch of people that other teams don't want. How in the world do they plan on assembling a good staff?!?

Much like they plan to hire the GM. Find hopefully bright young minds that meat the mold, ready for increased responsibility, poach them from other teams by promoting them above their current position.

Much like they plan to hire the GM. Find hopefully bright young minds that meat the mold, ready for increased responsibility, poach them from other teams by promoting them above their current position.

Teams do not have any obligation to let scouts or other personnel staff go unless you are promoting them to GM with personnel control.

Edited by GunnerBill

Teams do not have any obligation to let scouts or other personnel staff go unless you are promoting them to GM with personnel control.

Exactly!!!

There was such little foresight in this but that seems to be Terry's M.O. They should have retained the scouts until a new GM was in place and he should have decided who stayed and who went. Instead they just have no personnel department and have a limited pool of candidates.

Exactly!!!

There was such little foresight in this but that seems to be Terry's M.O. They should have retained the scouts until a new GM was in place and he should have decided who stayed and who went. Instead they just have no personnel department and have a limited pool of candidates.

I don't think the owner would have made such a dramatic move of eliminating the entire scouting department unless it was it was at the instigation of the new HC or at the minimum with the agreement of the new HC.

It's obvious to me that one of the conditions that McDermott extracted from the befuddled owner when he was hired was that he was going to have the sole authority to make the football decisions.

Terry Pegula gave the keys to the wrestling coach and now he is driving the bus.

I don't think the owner would have made such a dramatic move of eliminating the entire scouting department unless it was it was at the instigation of the new HC or at the minimum with the agreement of the new HC.

It's obvious to me that one of the conditions that McDermott extracted from the befuddled owner when he was hired was that he was going to have the sole authority to make the football decisions.

Terry Pegula gave the keys to the wrestling coach and now he is driving the bus.

...why not let the new guy start with a clean slate?......nothing says these folks cannot re-apply.......he can review resumes' and interview who he may be interested in...sure beats him coming in firing everybody as "the bad guy" right from the start.....it's taken care of.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...why not let the new guy start with a clean slate?......nothing says these folks cannot re-apply.......he can review resumes' and interview who he may be interested in...sure beats him coming in firing everybody as "the bad guy" right from the start.....it's taken care of.....

You make a good point about giving the new boss the opportunity to construct and staff his unit the way he wants to. The problem with wiping the board totally clean is that you might end up losing a lot of good grunt scouts to other teams with no ability to get them back. But that wasn't the underlining point of my previous point. I believe it was McDermott who wanted to take the clean slate approach or at the minimum he agreed to it. If he had qualms with the drastic approach I don't think the owner would have dispatched the scouts in such a wholesale manner.

You make a good point about giving the new boss the opportunity to construct and staff his unit the way he wants to. The problem with wiping the board totally clean is that you might end up losing a lot of good grunt scouts to other teams with no ability to get them back. But that wasn't the underlining point of my previous point. I believe it was McDermott who wanted to take the clean slate approach or at the minimum he agreed to it. If he had qualms with the drastic approach I don't think the owner would have dispatched the scouts in such a wholesale manner.

...then he has been given too much power IMO.......where would he have the time to THOROUGHLY vet all 17 and determine every one of them was garbage?......I'd guess it has been the grunt(s) doing the heavy lifting in finding people to sign and some talent resulted....sure the one year signings made them rentals which equated to 23 FA's, but that is beyond their pay grade.....

I don't disagree. Someone is an idiot in this situation. While they are looking for a GM their best scouts are looking for their next stop. You are going to hire a GM and task him with building a scouting department without viable candidates.

Here are some thoughts from around the league on the Bills situation:

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

Apparently the Saints would have taken Mahomes at 11 if their best reporter is correct.

Not agree with rumor politics part (sounds like the junk Leroi leaked to LaConjecture) but he is right about difficulties in replacing scouting department. They should have evaluated each employee and then decided who to replace. Same with assistant coaches. Leaders need to learn to use what tools you have before asking for new tools.

I don't disagree. Someone is an idiot in this situation. While they are looking for a GM their best scouts are looking for their next stop. You are going to hire a GM and task him with building a scouting department without viable candidates.

The Bills already have a GM. It is the wrestling coach. As I have said in other posts I am very uncomfortable with a HC having such wide-ranging authority. Without a doubt McDermott will be very influential in this hire who will be basically an extension of the HC and his desires.

In my opinion the owner has fumbled the coaching and GM hiring since he bought the team. The best approach would have been to hire a GM and president and allow them to restaff the football operation. Hiring coaches without a GM in place is an out of sequence approach to take.

The Bills already have a GM. It is the wrestling coach. As I have said in other posts I am very uncomfortable with a HC having such wide-ranging authority. Without a doubt McDermott will be very influential in this hire who will be basically an extension of the HC and his desires.

In my opinion the owner has fumbled the coaching and GM hiring since he bought the team. The best approach would have been to hire a GM and president and allow them to restaff the football operation. Hiring coaches without a GM in place is an out of sequence approach to take.

What scouts would want to come into this situation? Defensive, power mad coach with a hair trigger owner.

I think that you are right. McDermott has A LOT of power for a 1st time HC. His ego scares me more than anything else about him.

What scouts would want to come into this situation? Defensive, power mad coach with a hair trigger owner.

Yep

....if so much is being made of McDermott and the Andy Reid tree, why did he fire Monos who is from the SAME tree?............

As a scout, Monos didn't have as much personal interaction with Reid as he would have as a director of player personnel. But he still holds onto a lot of what he learned from Reid and takes pride in being part of a tree of coaches and personnel members that have worked with Reid.

"His assistant coaches all became head coaches almost," Monos said. "It's an incredible tree. I don't know that there's a bigger one. I think everybody wants a little piece of that when you have success. So they're going to pick from his staff. And that's how the league has always been."

....if so much is being made of McDermott and the Andy Reid tree, why did he fire Monos who is from the SAME tree?............

As a scout, Monos didn't have as much personal interaction with Reid as he would have as a director of player personnel. But he still holds onto a lot of what he learned from Reid and takes pride in being part of a tree of coaches and personnel members that have worked with Reid.

"His assistant coaches all became head coaches almost," Monos said. "It's an incredible tree. I don't know that there's a bigger one. I think everybody wants a little piece of that when you have success. So they're going to pick from his staff. And that's how the league has always been."

I see McDermott as from the Ron Rivera tree. McDermott and Andy Reid have little in common other than McDermott started there. When McD needed an offensive coordinator Reid's guy didn't come to Buffalo. That's not a good sign.

I see McDermott as from the Ron Rivera tree. McDermott and Andy Reid have little in common other than McDermott started there. When McD needed an offensive coordinator Reid's guy didn't come to Buffalo. That's not a good sign.

...McDermott's real defensive roots were with the late, great Jim Johnson in Philly...............Rivera was secondary and an add-on......Ron had pedigree from his Chicago and SD days......

my guess is that it was because he was more recently Whaley's right hand man and they wanted a clean sweep of his guys.