Grade the 2017 Buffalo Bills draft  

254 members have voted

1. 1. How did we do?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm at like a B I think. They did exactly what I wanted them to do in acquiring a day 2 pick and a 2018 1st. That was a great start. Tre White can play. He starts day 1 and plays a longtime in the league. It's a safe pick. Zay Jones is a stud, Dawkins sounds promising but that was an expensive move up. Hopefully one of the LBs can play. Peterman does nothing for me. It could have been an A for me if they would have added another safety. The DBs are thin IMO.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at like a B I think. They did exactly what I wanted them to do in acquiring a day 2 pick and a 2018 1st. That was a great start. Tre White can play. He starts day 1 and plays a longtime in the league. It's a safe pick. Zay Jones is a stud, Dawkins sounds promising but that was an expensive move up. Hopefully one of the LBs can play. Peterman does nothing for me. It could have been an A for me if they would have added another safety. The DBs are thin IMO.

Safety would have been nice, but we are all kind of wondering if Milano may be that hybrid LB/S guy for us too. And I can't say I'm disappointed with the guys they pick in round 2 instead of a possible impact safety. I really don't know what to expect with the DBs yet, but I do see plenty of vets still out there. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought one in now that the draft is over.

The real problem is that after the personnel massacre of this offseason........and considering that they had picks in the top 1/3 of each of their rounds........they needed and should have produced an A draft.

Wasn't really good enough.

Had the feel of the Jauron era drafts where they were pillaged in the offseason and then just drafted for need.

The real problem is that after the personnel massacre of this offseason........and considering that they had picks in the top 1/3 of each of their rounds........they needed and should have produced an A draft.

Wasn't really good enough.

Had the feel of the Jauron era drafts where they were pillaged in the offseason and then just drafted for need.

Yup. I felt like a Billsy draft.

A on principle.

There may not be a single difference-maker drafted this year, but it truly does look like Pegs has woken up and is moving the team in an entirely different direction. Whether it ends up for the better or the worst, it had to be done. Good luck to McD and all of this week's new Bills!

B right on the picks but getting that extra first rounder makes it a borderline A for me. I think they got 3 starters but who knows how good they will be. If Peterman pans out then this could easily turn into one of the better drafts we have had in a long time

3 day one starters is a little bit of an exaggeration when the most NFL ready competition any of those 3 will face is Jordan Mills.

Hey, Philly Brown ain't going to be usurped without a fight!

Holysh*t have they thinned out the roster this offseason. :lol:

They need to go back to the pro free agent table and spend about 5x the money they saved by not re-inking Gillislee. :thumbsup:

Buffalo Bills

Grade: A

The Bills are going to be a tough team — that's what the Bills said with this draft. They didn't get the best player at any position, but you can see a clear identity with all of Buffalo's picks.

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

I think if Peterman can become the Bills backup he will have beat the odds and maximized his talent, let alone start.

I don't totally discount the Kirk Cousin's ceiling........but Cousin's is not a franchise direction changer.

What you want is an Aaron Rodgers.......a guy who can keep your middling roster in contention for deep playoff runs every year.

THAT is the goal.........not Andy Dalton or Cousin's or the like.

Chris Burke-Sports Illustrated

Buffalo Bills: A–

The rumor mill headed into draft weekend had Buffalo GM Doug Whaley likely to be fired in the coming days. Whoever ended up calling the shots (coach Sean McDermott ran point, no doubt) made things happen. The Bills traded down from 10 to 27 in Round 1, adding a third-rounder (No. 91) and a 2018 first-round pick. They took talented CB Tre’Davious White at 27, then used No. 91 as part of a trade up for WR Zay Jones. The former is an outstanding coverage corner—not to the level of Marshon Lattimore, who was available at 10, but starter-caliber. Jones essentially replaces Robert Woods, and he could be a good one.

Day 3 picks of note beyond that: G/T Dion Dawkins, who will have a chance to win a job in camp; and QB Nathan Peterman, who slid into Round 5 but could be groomed as a possible Tyrod Taylor replacement down the line.​ McDermott will love LB Matt Milano (No. 163)—he’s a throwback-type linebacker.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Came into the draft with a top 10 pick. Elite talent falls due to run on skill positions. We didn't get one player that is the best at his position.

Nickel CB

#2 WR

Back up guard

ST UDFA LB that may have to be a safety

#3 QB

ST UDFA LB

Pick in the 25-32 range in 2018.

Struck out on all top UDFA.

How anyone can view this as a good draft is beyond me.

Best draft I've witnessed in 20 years.

1- got a 1st rounder 2018

2- a QB that is custom built for our offense that can sit & learn

3- 3 starters in first 3 picks

4- no off field issues from anyone

5- Ragland is basically our 4th rd pick

Sums it up for me.

This draft had vision and purpose. Feels like a new era here with McDermott.

I think if Peterman can become the Bills backup he will have beat the odds and maximized his talent, let alone start.

I'd love to hear what you're basing that on.

Edited by Success

This draft had all the excitement of a wife sending her husband to the grocery store with a list, and instructions.

"Bring back:

1 - CB

1 - WR

1 - OL

2 - LB

1 - QB

and don't buy the most expensive brands. Just get what's on sale"

A lot of the off brands are name brands with a different label.