RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad I don't have time to watch this video again. I didn't even realize that Dawkins was on the field. I would have paid some attention to the tackle if I knew that was him! I noticed a post above that compares Peterman to Brady. I don't even want to go there, but I will just a little bit. I went to Michigan and watch every Michigan game. I knew that Brady was clutch coming out of college. He was the best QB on third down that I have ever seen (and I have watched a lot of football). No matter where the sticks were or what the situation was, he always found the open guy and got the first down. It was incredible. I would watch games with my friends and say "Brady is going to be a really good NFL QB." Now, I never imagined that he would be a league MVP, 5 time Super Bowl Champion or possibly the GOAT, but I did think he'd be very good and wished the Bills would draft him. If you watch him play, he never had, and still doesn't have, a particularly strong arm. He just has a great feel for the game, knows how to find the open guy and has enough arm strength and accuracy to get it there. He beats you with his brain, not with his arm.

In comparison to watching every college game that Brady played, I have watched Peterman only twice: the last 5 minutes of last year's Pitt-Clemson game and the 6 minute video contained in this thread. Thus, I don't have much to go on here, but he at least looks the part of a competent QB who knows when and where to go with the ball and he seems to have just enough arm to get it there. No predictions of MVPs, Super Bowls or GOAT, but I think he could have a decent NFL career.

Too bad I don't have time to watch this video again. I didn't even realize that Dawkins was on the field. I would have paid some attention to the tackle if I knew that was him! I noticed a post above that compares Peterman to Brady. I don't even want to go there, but I will just a little bit. I went to Michigan and watch every Michigan game. I knew that Brady was clutch coming out of college. He was the best QB on third down that I have ever seen (and I have watched a lot of football). No matter where the sticks were or what the situation was, he always found the open guy and got the first down. It was incredible. I would watch games with my friends and say "Brady is going to be a really good NFL QB." Now, I never imagined that he would be a league MVP, 5 time Super Bowl Champion or possibly the GOAT, but I did think he'd be very good and wished the Bills would draft him. If you watch him play, he never had, and still doesn't have, a particularly strong arm. He just has a great feel for the game, knows how to find the open guy and has enough arm strength and accuracy to get it there. He beats you with his brain, not with his arm.

In comparison to watching every college game that Brady played, I have watched Peterman only twice: the last 5 minutes of last year's Pitt-Clemson game and the 6 minute video contained in this thread. Thus, I don't have much to go on here, but he at least looks the part of a competent QB who knows when and where to go with the ball and he seems to have just enough arm to get it there. No predictions of MVPs, Super Bowls or GOAT, but I think he could have a decent NFL career.

Nice post and you can throw in Montana as well with Brady about arm strength. It really comes down to brains and accuracy.

Throw the ball with precision, be smart with match-ups, and take what the D gives you and you can be a successful QB.

Peterman fits the Bill on all listed. Lets see what unfolds, I for one really like this pick in the 5th. Low risk and huge upside if it works out.

I love this quote by Todd McShay whom had Peterman as the best Bills draft pick this year.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/03/nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills-top-draft-pick/

"What a steal for the Bills: I had Peterman ranked as my No. 4 QB and 69th overall prospect, and Buffalo got him in the fifth round. He’s the most pro-ready of all the quarterbacks in this class. Peterman throws with great anticipation and showed the ability to handle a lot of pre-snap responsibilities in Pitt’s scheme. I was on the sideline when Peterman went into Death Valley and threw five touchdowns to hand eventual national champion Clemson its only loss of the season. Peterman played with great poise in that hostile atmosphere. The one negative with this fit is Peterman’s lack of arm strength in the windy AFC East. But he gives the Bills a reliable backup in the short term and a potential starting option in the long term if they want to move on from Tyrod Taylor in the coming seasons."

Edited by Real McCoy

Nice post and you can throw in Montana as well with Brady about arm strength. It really comes down to brains and accuracy.

Throw the ball with precision, be smart with match-ups, and take what the D gives you and you can be a successful QB.

Peterman fits the Bill on all listed. Lets see what unfolds, I for one really like this pick in the 5th. Low risk and huge upside if it works out.

I love this quote by Todd McShay whom had Peterman as the best Bills draft pick this year.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/03/nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills-top-draft-pick/

"What a steal for the Bills: I had Peterman ranked as my No. 4 QB and 69th overall prospect, and Buffalo got him in the fifth round. He’s the most pro-ready of all the quarterbacks in this class. Peterman throws with great anticipation and showed the ability to handle a lot of pre-snap responsibilities in Pitt’s scheme. I was on the sideline when Peterman went into Death Valley and threw five touchdowns to hand eventual national champion Clemson its only loss of the season. Peterman played with great poise in that hostile atmosphere. The one negative with this fit is Peterman’s lack of arm strength in the windy AFC East. But he gives the Bills a reliable backup in the short term and a potential starting option in the long term if they want to move on from Tyrod Taylor in the coming seasons."

I personally hope he IS this good...

Having talent is nver a bad thing

How much can you strengthen your arm as a QB?

To me it seems more likely that an NFL training staff can get you stronger than it is to learn how to read defenses, anticipate, be accurate, etc.

Definitely agree with this.

I know there must be a limit but I would think that a QB could work to strengthen his arm at least a decent amount, which could bring a guy from having a below average arm to an average NFL arm, which is really all you need. Most passes these days are short.

I just saw something NFL tweeted that Andy Dalton has improved his arm strength vastly this offseason. If he can do it, why can't Peterman?

Makes sense... I assume each player has an upper limit but I don't think it's crazy to think that an NFL training staff can get Peterman to the point where he has at least an average NFL starter's arm strength, which is plenty.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady never had the strongest arms and they are the best of their generation and two of the all-time greats.

I just saw something NFL tweeted that Andy Dalton has improved his arm strength vastly this offseason. If he can do it, why can't Peterman?

Petermans dart throwing style/ mechanics can be improved upon to get more velocity on some of his throws in my humble opinion.

Makes sense... I assume each player has an upper limit but I don't think it's crazy to think that an NFL training staff can get Peterman to the point where he has at least an average NFL starter's arm strength, which is plenty.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady never had the strongest arms and they are the best of their generation and two of the all-time greats.

That's exactly right, they beat everyone with their brain first and foremost.

Thank God we're the only ones to figure out having a rag arm qualifies you for Canton. I can't believe 31 other teams all passed on the next Montana 4 times.

31 other teams passed on Brady and Romo for the entire draft too