Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could not be more against Josh Allen if he had stolen my car keys. 

His two games against legitimate competition this year he stunk. And it wasn't because of talent around him.... he was wildly inaccurate and made atrocious decisions. 

If the Bills draft him early I will smash my head against the closest wall. 

See the thing is, he has all of the tools to be successful.  And yes his team has played so terrible that he's tried to overcompensate for the lack of talent he has around him.  His poor play is from trying to do too much with nothing.  That's hard to do.  But if you honestly look through a lot of his tape, he makes some exceptional plays and he had a game winning drive a few weeks ago.  The traits are there, he just needs to play on a team that has a guy or two that can play with him.  There's a reason he's widely considered a first round pick and why scouts love him.  The interview and combine process will be huge for all of these QBs but he can really cement his stock and show off his cannon of an arm.  If he looks coach-able...why not?  With Mayfield, I see a guy who may be more talented than some of the other QBs but I think his ceiling is quite low.  He's maybe 6'0" in heels and his off the field issues could turn him away from McDermott.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mayfield has plenty of arm. Don't worry about that. 

There is an understandable bias toward prototypical sized qbs. But over-weighting the physical tools at the expense of the more meaningful attributes such as ability to process, arm strength, accuracy and leadership is a common mistake made when evaluating qbs.  Players such as Bortles and EJ check all the physical categories. But when they play it is obvious that they are lacking on the field. 

Mayfield has played in big games this year, such as against Ohio State and Okla. State. There was a lot of pro prospects on the field in those games. The obvious takeaway in each of those games was that he was the most dynamic player on the field. Mayfield is about the same size of Taylor.  Taylor may have a stronger arm but not by much, if that is the case. What Mayfield has over him is his ability to quickly process and get rid of the ball. He also forces the defense to play the whole field. Mayfield is impeccably accurate and his ball placement is exceptional. 

I have seen USC's Darnold play. He is good but there are frequent lulls to his game that are then interrupted by high end play. The contrast with Mayfield is that there is a consistent dynamism throughout the whole game with the Sooner qb. He is a full game whirlwind while Darnold's play is more intermittent. 

I'm still very open-minded about the quarter back prospects but the more I see Mayfield the more enamored I am with him. 

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is an understandable bias toward prototypical sized qbs. But over-weighting the physical tools at the expense of the more meaningful attributes such as ability to process, arm strength, accuracy and leadership is a common mistake made when evaluating qbs.  Players such as Bortles and EJ check all the physical categories. But when they play it is obvious that they are lacking on the field. 

Mayfield has played in big games this year, such as against Ohio State and Okla. State. There was a lot of pro prospects on the field in those games. The obvious takeaway in each of those games was that he was the most dynamic player on the field. Mayfield is about the same size of Taylor.  Taylor may have a stronger arm but not by much, if that is the case. What Mayfield has over him is his ability to quickly process and get rid of the ball. He also forces the defense to play the whole field. Mayfield is impeccably accurate and his ball placement is exceptional. 

I have seen USC's Darnold play. He is good but there are frequent lulls to his game that are then interrupted by high end play. The contrast with Mayfield is that there is a consistent dynamism throughout the whole game with the Sooner qb. He is a full game whirlwind while Darnold's play is more intermittent. 

I'm still very open-minded about the quarter back prospects but the more I see Mayfield the more enamored I am with him. 

I am open-minded as well but Mayfield has been reported to be only 5'11" not even 6'1" like most websites jack him up to be.  For a pocket passer, this is a huge obstacle once reaching the NFL where there are much bigger and faster players at all positions than there are in college.  While he has played extremely productively and shown the leadership to be a franchise QB, his height is a big concern for me.  Not many QBs can overcome being so short.  If he truly is that short, I think he will have a difficult time throwing over defensive lineman who are taught to jump and put their hands up to deflect passes.  I love the way Mayfield plays but this is a concern to me.  Who knows...

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I dont think Mayfield is the size of Taylor at all. I think TT is about two inches taller with longer arms and much better built. He works out like a madman and is very strong. Same with Russell Wilson. The guy is a tank, he's just short. 

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I would take a chance on Mayfield because I have seen him make his throws consistently, reading the whole field. He also seems to embrace big moments. The guys is a QB who is athletic enough to run if he has to. Jackson is too erratic and is more of an athlete playing the QB position imo. He reminds me of Kaepernick. 

They said the same about Deshaun Watson. IMO, a lot of Jackson's "inconsistencies" stem from his supporting cast. His receivers drop a lot of balls.

What I do want Lamar to do is not take so many hits

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I dont think Mayfield is the size of Taylor at all. I think TT is about two inches taller with longer arms and much better built. He works out like a madman and is very strong. Same with Russell Wilson. The guy is a tank, he's just short. 

I've seen Mayfield listed at 6'1" and 220 lbs. I'm sure he is shorter but he is stout and durable. As far as stature and dimensions I really don't care. I'm really not concerned about it. I agree with you that Taylor is a dedicated and diligent player and person. However, his inherent limitations with respect to quick processing and throwing accurately very much bother me. Don't be fooled by his completion rate. It is an altogether different offense from the standard pro offense.  

You watch a lot of Ram games and Goff play. It is a distinctly more sophisticated offense (even for a young qb) because his game in general is more expansive. Especially from a passing standpoint Taylor is running a very primitive offense. It may seem that I'm a harsh critic of him but I'm really not. He is the best that we have had in a long time. For me being adequate is not good enough if you have higher aspirations than merely being a fringe wild-card team. .

Just to let you know I'm a devotee of Russell Wilson. We had an opportunity to get him when Country Buddy was driving the bus. The slow talking GM instead went with the track receiver who turned out to be an invisible player for us. 

21 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't think he has the arm to be compared to Favre.

That’s pretty rare territory, for sure. 

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could not be more against Josh Allen if he had stolen my car keys. 

His two games against legitimate competition this year he stunk. And it wasn't because of talent around him.... he was wildly inaccurate and made atrocious decisions. 

If the Bills draft him early I will smash my head against the closest wall. 

I’ve only seen one game for Allen, and in that game he looked like a graduate of The EJ School of Accuracy. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s pretty rare territory, for sure. 

I’ve only seen one game for Allen, and in that game he looked like a graduate of The EJ School of Accuracy. 

I wish he was on a team that had a little more talent around him so he could actually show off his abilities.  He's trying to drag the rest of his team and right now in his development, the rest of his team is hurting him.  With players like these top programs have, I think he'd look like the top guy in the class tossing the ball around the field like he's the next big thing.  But...his team blows and he's been less than successful in covering that up through his abilities.

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I wish he was on a team that had a little more talent around him so he could actually show off his abilities.  He's trying to drag the rest of his team and right now in his development, the rest of his team is hurting him.  With players like these top programs have, I think he'd look like the top guy in the class tossing the ball around the field like he's the next big thing.  But...his team blows and he's been less than successful in covering that up through his abilities.

I am not sure he would. I just don't think he is accurate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, the skycap said:

They said the same about Deshaun Watson. IMO, a lot of Jackson's "inconsistencies" stem from his supporting cast. His receivers drop a lot of balls.

What I do want Lamar to do is not take so many hits

No sir, he is no Watson. Watson was a very good QB from the time he stepped on the field. He's a good athlete and he can run, but he was always sound fundamentally and good from the pocket throwing the ball. Far more accurate than Jackson. 

On 11/11/2017 at 8:13 AM, the skycap said:

He's a bigger version of Tyrod Taylor. His production, in college is equal to if not better than Baker Mayfield and every QB expert says he has developed as a passer. The Bills need a type of QB who can put offense on his back and produce and Mayfield and Jackson are the only two who I've seen do it consistently 

I'm not saying you aren't doing this, but you can't hang your hat on college production. If you do you'll end up with Colt Brennan, Kellen Moore, or Case Keenum. You have to look at what they do on the field, and how you feel it will translate to our system. Rosen is the only reason UCLA has won a game this year, by the way. He definitely carries that team on his back every week.

10 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm not saying you aren't doing this, but you can't hang your hat on college production. If you do you'll end up with Colt Brennan, Kellen Moore, or Case Keenum. You have to look at what they do on the field, and how you feel it will translate to our system. Rosen is the only reason UCLA has won a game this year, by the way. He definitely carries that team on his back every week.

Or you end up with Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Phillip Rivers, Russ Wilson...should I go on with the list of players who were highly productive in college and won a lot of games and have become good NFL quarterbacks?  There is no formula its the luck of the draw, just have to pick the player you think will be the best.  For me that would be the guy who shows the most evidence of that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.