RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

Typical homer, sock-puppet, rhetoric...Joe Hayden Helped the Browns get to the playoffs about as much as Gilmore helped us... Cornerback is a need, yes... QB, TE, WR, LT, are ALL NECESSITIES... I had a modest amount of hope for McDonefor when he got the job... 85% of which evaporated when we took White @ 27... LOUSY trade-down... Wash, rinse, dry, -repeat.

and you'd be complaining when we took OJ Howard how the Bills are fools for ignoring the secondary as Seymore and whoever else we'd had if we didn't draft Gilly's replacement.

Also is this a record? Someone is already calling for a coach's head about 3 months into his tenure? After one draft? Christ.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and you'd be complaining when we took OJ Howard how the Bills are fools for ignoring the secondary as Seymore and whoever else we'd had if we didn't draft Gilly's replacement.

Also is this a record? Someone is already calling for a coach's head about 3 months into his tenure? After one draft? Christ.

I wonder how he felt about Rex? Most knew that was a mess, but I'll give new owners a mulligan on that. They got snookered. OK, move on. But calling out a new, promising coach before a single game? That tells you something about the mindset. Edited by Augie

I wonder how he felt about Rex? Most knew that was a mess, but I'll give new owners a mulligan on that. They got snookered. OK, move on. But calling out a new, promising coach before a single game? That tells you something about the mindset.

Exactly. I mean, if you're a new owner, especially with little football experiance, what are you gonna do? Hire a guy like Hue Jackson, who looked promising but had little success with the Raiders, or a guy like Rex, who is big, bold, and took the Jets to two straight AFC title games?

I totally understand the Pegula's move. And you know what? They could have just said "oh well" and kept Rexy but they didn't. They are spending boatloads of cash to make both Buffalo teams successful, and I think that we are looking forward to a bright future.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

a typical, non-responsive, content-free post, with some name calling thrown in for good measure. Your premise--that good teams don't use first round picks on CBs--was demolished, and you have no response, except to point to the fact that the Browns pay one of their (excellent) CBs a lot of money. Oh, and then you tell us that you just KNOW the Bills new coach is no good, before he has coached a single NFL game. Patheti wonder how he felt about Rex? Most knew that was a mess, but I'll give new owners a mulligan on that. They got snookered. OK, move on. But calling out a new, promising coach before a single game? That tells you something about the mindset.

Misquoting me can't hurt your vapid, uninformed, drivel.... The last CB the Patriots took in Rd 1 was McCourty in '10... But who did they ALSO draft in '10??? -You guessed it!.. Mr. Mismatch himself Rob Gronkowski...

DEN took Bradley Robey in 14, but already had home-run hitters in Julius and DeMariyus Thomas.... These organizations don't just know how to DRAFT, they also know how to BUILD!

Drafting a second round CB in the first, and third round WR in the second is EXACTLY why this team continues to lose... Say again who's point was demolished. -Because it sure wasn't mine.

I wonder how he felt about Rex? Most knew that was a mess, but I'll give new owners a mulligan on that. They got snookered. OK, move on. But calling out a new, promising coach before a single game? That tells you something about the mindset.

I gave you all the breakdown on Wrecks from MINUTE 1... Only a few of us saw the impending disaster of spurning Jim Schwartz for a fat 4-12 flunkie and his unkempt brother.... Then, just as now, every sightless TBD bird chimed in with their incessant Aaaawwww... GIVE HIM A CHANCE! -To which I maintained my answer of NO!

I'll go on record AGAIN and say it's a mistake to give a first-time HC the kind of influence they're giving McDoomed... What's his vision? What's his philosophy? -WHO CARES? What's his plan for making us WIN GAMES.... -That's where Adam Gase's head was at... That's where Bill Bellichick LIVES in his mind...

You guys are so far behind the damn curve.... Keep Fitz! -Keep Gailey! -Don't fire Buddy! -It's not Rex's fault! -Keep Whaley! -All guys I wrote off MONTHS beforehand.... I'm no Oracle... But once my drum starts beating.. HEADS UP!

Typical homer, sock-puppet, rhetoric...Joe Hayden Helped the Browns get to the playoffs about as much as Gilmore helped us... Cornerback is a need, yes... QB, TE, WR, LT, are ALL NECESSITIES... I had a modest amount of hope for McDonefor when he got the job... 85% of which evaporated when we took White @ 27... LOUSY trade-down... Wash, rinse, dry, -repeat.

All of the top receivers went ahead of us and LT is not a need.

We have a QB who can play this year and there was no surefire guy this year and yet a team was willing to pay a premium to move up and take one. What if we package both of our 1sts next year to move up and grab a QB? Would the trade down be lousy?

All of the top receivers went ahead of us and LT is not a need.

We have a QB who can play this year and there was no surefire guy this year and yet a team was willing to pay a premium to move up and take one. What if we package both of our 1sts next year to move up and grab a QB? Would the trade down be lousy?

Yeah... Because we had a chance to load up on help for that QB, and didn't do it... To see Tampa grab Howard and THEN grab Godwin just blew me away... There was more too.... Tim Williams and Ardarius Stewart were two studs I wouldn't have minded on our roster.. Ryan Switzer and Jake Butt also sailed-by while we bullsh__ted....

There were more... Some I forget.... Point is, who even knows what's going to happen next draft? I thought we missed on some real impact players in '17...

Yeah... Because we had a chance to load up on help for that QB, and didn't do it... To see Tampa grab Howard and THEN grab Godwin just blew me away... There was more too.... Tim Williams and Ardarius Stewart were two studs I wouldn't have minded on our roster.. Ryan Switzer and Jake Butt also sailed-by while we bullsh__ted....

There were more... Some I forget.... Point is, who even knows what's going to happen next draft? I thought we missed on some real impact players in '17...

As I said previously before the trade I was all in on OJ Howard.....that went out the door when we traded to the end of the 1st round and took White....I didnt have a problem with that because we needed secondary help badly.....got help and picked up a asset in doing that.

What will determine the success of THIS draft is if White can start, Zay Jones becoming the number 2 (I am a LOT higher on Zay then you are), and if Dawkins can supplant Mills at RT....if those things happen this was a extremely successful draft. We WILL have gotten TT help with a WR and protection. Mills gets beat off the snap to much.

We only had 6 picks.....the trade ups for Jones and Dawkins have to bear immediate fruit

They don't utilize the TE they have now and you wanted to draft one in the first round? Where there is far less success for that position being taken in the first.

Furthermore, Godwin while a good prospect, you want to act like we didn't draft Zay Jones? A guy by all accounts is a better prospect.

I mean, to me, it sounds like you might want to root for Tampa if you find their draft so impressive.

Not for nothing, the best of drafts on paper aren't always the best drafts years down the line. For all we know buffalo may or may not have the best draft, but I fully agree with their moves.

Mainly because that additional pick in next year's first round.

We missed on some impact players? Damn those 31 other teams and their habit of picking guys.

Super Bowl winning GMs like John Elway, Ozzie Newsome, Ted Thompson, Mickey Loomis, Jerry Reese, and Kevin Colbert think you're wrong, just so you know.

Those guys re-signed their corners though, right?

I wonder what Ozzie would say about the strategy of drafting a top 10 CB, letting him walk, then drafting his replacement high.

Edited by jmc12290

What an offensive, know-nothing post. The notion that, in a passing league, cornerback is not a premium position is easily one of the more laughable arguments I've seen on this board. Five CBs have been taken in the first round in each of the last four drafts, including one by the Ravens (who you apparently worship) this year. As further evidence of the position's value, look at the contracts recently signed by, among others, Patrick Peterson, Joe Hayden, Josh Norman, Stephon Gilmore, etc...

The poster didn't present his side very well but his stance on this issue has some merit.

Should a team draft first round defensive backs? Certainly, just as soon as said team has a very good quarterback, a deep, solid OL, and top pass rushing defensive ends, and only then if they feel that a particular db is the bpa.

Are you telling me that you cannot see that draft picks such as Whitner, Gilmore and McKelvin have seriously injured this franchise? Is that what you think? It started before this too. When Thurman, Kelly, Bruce, and Reed were getting old, Levy and co. were busy drafting first round defensive backs. This was the beginning of the mess we are in and it has not changed no matter who is in charge.

Tell me, what makes drafting the 5th or 6th rated corner this year any different? The 2018 first round pick? Sure, that makes this pick more palatable, but odds are this pick will be used on another defensive back or a running back because this is what the Bills do. That and lose football games.

There is good news. We got rid of Whaley and Rex. If these guys were in charge for 10 years we would lose for 10 years. Lets hope that the new crew will learn from the idiotic, inexcusable mistakes of the past and know how to properly build an NFL football team.

Some times you have to draft for a need first. I think that is what the Bills did by dropping back and filling a need. You still take the best player available at that position. Jmo

All anyone needs to know about the value of the CB position in the NFL is that it's the 2nd-highest paid position by AAV behind QB.

If someone intends to read that, and then marginalize its importance, well, I think that person would be off their proverbial rocker so to speak.

As far as White's selection goes, how about we let him participate in an NFL contest before we conclude that he's anything?

FWIW, he was--get this--No. 27 on my top-100, so for me, the value matched the slot perfectly.

As for the impact that corners can have on the game, let's not be ridiculous here; there are plenty of examples:

- The Giants drafted Eli Apple 10th overall and signed Janoris Jenkins, and their defense went from 24th overall in YPA against in 2015 to 7th overall in 2016--they also won 4 more games and made the playoffs.

- The Jaguars drafted Jalen Ramsey 5th overall, and their defense went from 28th overall in YPA against in 2015 to 2nd overall in 2016

- Do I even need to reference the impact that Marcus Peters had on KC's defense?

This is just a small sample.

You can get mad at previous player selections like Whitner, and say that they were the wrong players. Fine. That's reasonable.

To say that the position isn't (a) worth a certain level of investment, or (b) falls below what are very clearly lower-paid and lower-valued NFL positions, would be the height of folly IMO.

All anyone needs to know about the value of the CB position in the NFL is that it's the 2nd-highest paid position by AAV behind QB.

If someone intends to read that, and then marginalize its importance, well, I think that person would be off their proverbial rocker so to speak.

As far as White's selection goes, how about we let him participate in an NFL contest before we conclude that he's anything?

FWIW, he was--get this--No. 27 on my top-100, so for me, the value matched the slot perfectly.

As for the impact that corners can have on the game, let's not be ridiculous here; there are plenty of examples:

- The Giants drafted Eli Apple 10th overall and signed Janoris Jenkins, and their defense went from 24th overall in YPA against in 2015 to 7th overall in 2016--they also won 4 more games and made the playoffs.

- The Jaguars drafted Jalen Ramsey 5th overall, and their defense went from 28th overall in YPA against in 2015 to 2nd overall in 2016

- Do I even need to reference the impact that Marcus Peters had on KC's defense?

This is just a small sample.

You can get mad at previous player selections like Whitner, and say that they were the wrong players. Fine. That's reasonable.

To say that the position isn't (a) worth a certain level of investment, or (b) falls below what are very clearly lower-paid and lower-valued NFL positions, would be the height of folly IMO.

The critical issue for me is whether the trade down for picks was worth not taking one of the two remaining top qb prospects in Watson or Mahomes. The two acquiring teams made the move up while other teams unsuccessfully attempted to do the same. So we know that multiple teams placed a value on the qb prospects that we bypassed. We also know that the departed GM wanted to draft a qb but had no authority to do so.

The Bills gave up a third round pick to slightly move up for a receiver. I have no problem with the selection but I do question giving up a third round pick, a pick that certainly could have been used on a position of need. There was a good chance he would still have been on the board but if not there were reasonable options at a variety of positions where a sound pick could have been made.

The mistake that is often made in assessing a draft is in assessing individual picks. From that standpoint all our picks were reasonable. But a more strategic way of assessing this draft is what else could you have done differently that in a few years this draft class could have given you a bigger return. My belief remains that we had an opportunity to acquire a franchise qb but continued with the trend of bypassing them.

The critical issue for me is whether the trade down for picks was worth not taking one of the two remaining top qb prospects in Watson or Mahomes. The two acquiring teams made the move up while other teams unsuccessfully attempted to do the same. So we know that multiple teams placed a value on the qb prospects that we bypassed. We also know that the departed GM wanted to draft a qb but had no authority to do so.

The Bills gave up a third round pick to slightly move up for a receiver. I have no problem with the selection but I do question giving up a third round pick, a pick that certainly could have been used on a position of need. There was a good chance he would still have been on the board but if not there were reasonable options at a variety of positions where a sound pick could have been made.

The mistake that is often made in assessing a draft is in assessing individual picks. From that standpoint all our picks were reasonable. But a more strategic way of assessing this draft is what else could you have done differently that in a few years this draft class could have given you a bigger return. My belief remains that we had an opportunity to acquire a franchise qb but continued with the trend of bypassing them.

In what's sure to be a most boring retort, John: I completely agree with most of that.

The only place we even partially disagree is that I have no problem moving up for Zay if they truly felt that he was significantly better than the next-best WR.

Edited by thebandit27

In what's sure to be a most boring retort, John: I completely agree with most of that.

The only place we even partially disagree is that I have no problem moving up for Zay if they truly felt that he was significantly better than the next-best WR.

A plain spoken boring retort may not be loud but it can be penetratingly smart. :thumbsup:

The mistake that is often made in assessing a draft is in assessing individual picks. From that standpoint all our picks were reasonable.

This is what people continue to miss. Even bandit, who I truly respect, missed the point imo.

You see, it doesn't phase me how much corners are paid. Allocating an unreasonable amount of resources to the secondary (and rbs) cost the Bills trips to the playoffs. I don't understand how one can look at the W/L record and say otherwise.

This is what people continue to miss. Even bandit, who I truly respect, missed the point imo.

You see, it doesn't phase me how much corners are paid. Allocating an unreasonable amount of resources to the secondary (and rbs) cost the Bills trips to the playoffs. I don't understand how one can look at the W/L record and say otherwise.

I think perhaps we're mis-communicating...I agree that the past failures were wrought from poor resource allocation.

It made no sense to let Nate Clements walk just to draft his replacement, same with regard to Jabari Greer. As you know, I felt the same about Gilmore.

What I won't do, however, is label the current strategy of team-building as a mistake until I see how it plays out on the field.

I would just like for folks to step back and think about this for a minute

If we did NOT draft White we were be going into the season with Darby and Seymore as our top corners

Seymore shows promise but he was in fact a late round draft pick who need to work on his tackling

We lost our number 1 corner to free agency.......if we didnt replenish our starting corners do we think we are going to stop opposing offenses ESPECIALLY when we saw what happened to McD's defense when he lost Josh Norman?

I didnt want a corner at 10.....we didnt draft one at 10