listening to wgr right now....poor doug whaley

i can't believe people can still be so blind. poor doug got over run by marrone and rex, should have stood up for his convictions....omg.

doug whaley and his guy ej ( who was not supposed to start as a rookie...ok), started his rookie year.

year 2 whaley is " we're all in on ej"....however marrone new it was a losing proposition and requested a plan b.

a pi$$in match ensued and orton was brought in at the last minute. after 4 games of suck, marrone yanks ej.

after orton retires, marrone knows there is no plan on upgrading the position, he goes to the pegulas and asks for a little more control.

realizing nothing was gonna change, he says screw this.

along comes rex. and whoever sold the pegs on him to sell tickets knowing he was gonna blow up the defensive scheme, should have been shot....i digress.....

whaley gets rex to understand he needs to develop ej.(that was well published) and rex soon also found that was a losing proposition.

rex convinces doug to sign tyrod....whom shouldn't have posed a threat to ej. however a pi$$ing match ensues and rex wins out with starting tyrod.

fast forward to the last game against the jets and whaley throws some fresh pee in the pot to try to show once again that he made the right pick and to stick it to tyrod. rex says screw this fire me.

now it's painfully obvious that whaley would have run tt outta town, had not been for the new staff.

this is the 3rd coach in 4 yrs all due to doug whaley's ego and subsequent Pi$$in matches over qbs.

i don't know how some people,namely whoever's on wgr right and some on this board cannot see reality . unbelievable :wallbash:

oh and btw, c.j. in the 4th, 3 years after whiffing on a project exudes ego and stubborness.

Edited by billsredneck1

Sal was pretty adamant that the Ej pick was not Whaley. He said it was pretty common knowledge that Buddy was taking him no matter what.

I do feel bad for Whaley, but he needs to get more of a backbone with the position he is in. He gets walked over too much. I think he is a real good talent evaluator, but lacks the ability to stand up for himself. I think he was just too young for the job. He really had no power and was not in the position to hold his ground.

Sal was pretty adamant that the Ej pick was not Whaley. He said it was pretty common knowledge that Buddy was taking him no matter what.

I do feel bad for Whaley, but he needs to get more of a backbone with the position he is in. He gets walked over too much. I think he is a real good talent evaluator, but lacks the ability to stand up for himself. I think he was just too young for the job. He really had no power and was not in the position to hold his ground.

Whaley said himself he was integral in selecting EJ. He said EJ had the "it" factor. he tried pushing him on two different coaching staffs.

Even if Nix made final call on EJ, it's pretty clear from Whaley's comments following draft and subsequent actions that he was 100% on board with Manuel.

Whaley said himself he was integral in selecting EJ. He said EJ had the "it" factor. he tried pushing him on two different coaching staffs.

Whaley has said a lot of stuff to hide the dysfunction that was going on behind the scenes. Pushed him so hard that he signed two other QBs that started.

I'm not here to start a fight, just repeating what was said.

Whaley stocked the kitchen. Rex could !@#$ up a 2 car parade. The 2015 Bills were loaded. The past two years, the production did not match the talent. IMO Whaley did get screwed. I was hoping he would get one more shot this draft. We really could use some maneuvering Thursday

Whaley has said a lot of stuff to hide the dysfunction that was going on behind the scenes. Pushed him so hard that he signed two other QBs that started.

If it wasn't for Orton and Taylor, I hate to think of the horrible record the Bills would have had.

Well, a journeyman QB (Orton) after his coach went ape **** and a career 6th round backup (Taylor) who rex pushed for, so it's not like Whaley was pursuing high end guys. Other than that Whaley went to camp for two consecutive years with Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel as EJ's only competition. It's obvious that to anyone paying attention that EJ was Whaley's guy and he wasn't pretending to hide dysfunction, that is ridiculous.

Well, a journeyman QB (Orton) after his coach went ape **** and a career 6th round backup (Taylor) who rex pushed for, so it's not like Whaley was pursuing high end guys. Other than that Whaley went to camp for two consecutive years with Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel as EJ's only competition. It's obvious that to anyone paying attention that EJ was Whaley's guy and he wasn't pretending to hide dysfunction, that is ridiculous.

Whaley claimed EJ had the "it" factor, and he meant that.

The real fun starts when the next GM comes in if/when Whaley is gone. They better be pretty close to perfect. They need to find the next Tom Brady in no more than two years, draft all starters who don't get injured, never lose a free agent and squeeze between the love fest that everyone claims is going on between Pegula and McDermott all while having absolutely amazing press conferences. Oh yeah and most likely they will be hiring a coach in the next few years and he better be Vince Lombardi. If not the Whaley haters and the people who like Whaley will be on them like white on rice. If I'm Whaley at this point I want a fresh start. No doubt about the fact that he has a job in the NFL very soon and no I do not take personnel director or whatever for the Bills

Edited by Madd Charlie

Ther real fun starts when the next GM comes in if/when Whaley is gone. They better be pretty close to perfect. They need to find the next Tom Brady in no more than two years, draft all starters who don't get injured, never lose a free agent and squeeze between the love fest that everyone claims is going on between Pegula and McDermott all while having absolutely amazing press confrences. Oh yeah and most likely they will be hiring a coach in the next few years and he better be Vince Lombardi. If not the Whaley haters and the people who like Whaley will be on them like white on rice. If im Whaley at this point I want a fresh start. No doubt about the fact that he has a job in the NFL very soon

they just gotta get a qb tht is near alex smith or joe flacco and everything else will take care of itself

they just gotta get a qb tht is near alex smith or joe flacco and everything else will take care of itself

Alex Smith is comparable to Orton in my opinion that didn't go so great and Joe Flacco was a first rounder and ex-Super bowl MVP. There's maybe 6 teams in the league that have a QB on his level if that.

The real fun starts when the next GM comes in if/when Whaley is gone. They better be pretty close to perfect. They need to find the next Tom Brady in no more than two years, draft all starters who don't get injured, never lose a free agent and squeeze between the love fest that everyone claims is going on between Pegula and McDermott all while having absolutely amazing press conferences. Oh yeah and most likely they will be hiring a coach in the next few years and he better be Vince Lombardi. If not the Whaley haters and the people who like Whaley will be on them like white on rice. If I'm Whaley at this point I want a fresh start. No doubt about the fact that he has a job in the NFL very soon and no I do not take personnel director or whatever for the Bills

How about a playoff spot just once this century. too much to ask for I know. Too much to ask of a GM.

How about a playoff spot just once this century. too much to ask for I know. Too much to ask of a GM.

Yeah Whaley definitely should have gotten this team to the playoffs at least once. They should think about giving some of that responsibility to the coach just to help him out a bit because hes clearly not getting it done on his own.

Edited by Madd Charlie

Alex Smith is comparable to Orton in my opinion that didn't go so great and Joe Flacco was a first rounder and ex-Super bowl MVP. There's maybe 6 teams in the league that have a QB on his level if that.

tyrod has nothing near the passing acumen or anticipation of those two. Smith imho is incredibly underrated and his d randomly collapsed in 2014 against the colts or he would be in his 3rd straight championship game.

Buffalo will NEVER get tht far with tt. Im sorry but thts reality

"Don't shoot! lol"

B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA

lmao! i sure hope we don't see doug and russ fist pumping in the war room after they trade next year's 1st and 4th to get to no. 4.....ahead of cleveland to draft .....watson :doh:

doug?

Lots of the Whaley hate is rational, but the one thing that unnerves me is that how the media and many fans on this board keep saying he didn't want Tyrod back.

I believe that to be partially true, i.e. Hell no he wasn't coming back with the previously structured contract. I'm sure Dennison and McD wanted him back and were in unison with Doug to try and renegotiate a deal.

Week 17 - as much as I want to forget - was basically "is EJ worth keeping as a backup?" issue coupled with the injury clause.

Go ahead and criticize the Watkins draft or maybe the most recent one that had lots of bad luck with injuries, but to use "OMG he loved EJ over Tyrod!?!?" narrative is ludicrous

FWIW, I think he should get one more year to see how this drafts prospects pay off (if he at least is working with McD and not already rumored to be overruled), but if he's gone, so be it.

a pi$$in match ensued and orton was brought in at the last minute. after 4 games of suck, marrone yanks ej.

this is the 3rd coach in 4 yrs all due to doug whaley's ego and subsequent Pi$$in matches over qbs

whaley gets rex to understand he needs to develop ej.(that was well published) and rex soon also found that was a losing proposition.

rex convinces doug to sign tyrod....whom shouldn't

Actually, Kyle was signed on August 30. After 4 games we were 2-2. Not great, but not 4 weeks of suck either.

Actually, McCoach is our 4th coach in 4 years. 2014 - Moron. 2015 - Rex. 2016 - Rex/Lynn. 5th coach in last 6 years. 7th in 9 years.

We signed Hotrod in March 12th. When exactly did Rex watch EJ and determine he couldn't work with him?

Edited by reddogblitz

that_would_be_great_office_space_bill_lu

Doug, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK? In the meantime, don't talk to the media, and we are going to give Sean final say on all personnel and draft choices...mmmkay great.

Saw this when this ever popular subject came up on twitter a while back. Includes vid with Doug Whaley.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published: May 17, 2013 at 04:35 p.m. Updated: May 18, 2013 at 02:49 a.m.

New Bills GM Doug Whaley integral in EJ Manuel pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

"The Buffalo Bills raised plenty of eyebrows after taking EJ Manuel with the No. 16 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, making him the first quarterback to go off the board. New general manager Doug Whaley isn't shy about taking ownership of the pick, even if he was second-in-command to Buddy Nix at the time.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

Whaley did allow that it was a "collaborative effort" between area scouts, cross-checkers, coach Doug Marrone and Nix, but the new front-office boss is comfortable with hanging his hat on Manuel after vetting the quarterback in the pre-draft process.

"We have a philosophy that the information makes the decision," Whaley explained. "We think that we did enough due diligence, and the information pointed us all to this point that EJ would be the guy we feel will take the Buffalo Bills into the future."

Whaley's confidence is refreshing after Nix seemed to be in over his head while running the show for three and a half years. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Whaley is a "bright young star" who has impressed colleagues with his smarts and personnel acumen in his time with the Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Bills finally seem pointed in the right direction. It now falls on Whaley's hand-picked franchise quarterback to end the longest active playoff drought in the NFL."

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Contrary to you over the top requirements, the only thing the new GM has to do is: don't overeach on a qb, if you draft a qb and hes a bust cut ties early, dont spend early picks on known injured players that every other team has removed from the board and act as if you are smarter than the other 31 teams GMs, retain good players that produce for you, be able to communicate clearly in the most basic of settings without contradicting yourself and making the organization appear to be ran by s bunch of amatuers, and produce a playoff team in a reasonable period 2-4 years.

Contrary to you over the top requirements, the only thing the new GM has to do is: don't overeach on a qb, if you draft a qb and hes a bust cut ties early, dont spend early picks on known injured players that every other team has removed from the board and act as if you are smarter than the other 31 teams GMs, retain good players that produce for you, be able to communicate clearly in the most basic of settings without contradicting yourself and making the organization appear to be ran by s bunch of amatuers, and produce a playoff team in a reasonable period 2-4 years.

Great post. I would also add not target guys in the draft and trade up for them burning valuable draft picks.