Ever get caught interviewing from your employer?

So I got a call this morning from my boss. He found out over the weekend that I interviewed with another company.

He found out because someone from the company I was interviewing with, knew someone from my company. He reached out to him to get a back door reference to get some info on me. I don't know who this person is but he went and told my boss.

Why the hell would that guy do something like this? Now I really am concerned about losing my job because they'll be looking for my replacement starting today.

Anyone go through this?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got a call this morning from my boss. He found out over the weekend that I interviewed with another company.

He found out because someone from the company I was interviewing with, knew someone from my company. He reached out to him to get a back door reference to get some info on me. I don't know who this person is but he went and told my boss.

Why the hell would that guy do something like this? Now I really am concerned about losing my job because they'll be looking for my replacement starting today.

Anyone go through this?

When applying ALWAYS check the box ... do not contact my current employer.

How long have you been there?

If you have been there a while they can't fire you because some one called in for a reference.

that sounds like a major screw up on the new company you're interviewing with. shouldn't that HR department give you the heads up that they're going to contact your employer before they actually do so?

the only reason i have any knowledge on this is because it happened to my wife. she's a school psychologist, and she was asked by another district to come an interview, (they sought her out). she had the interview when went very well, but before she told her admins, they just called and checked around. apparently her principal was pretty disappointed, but in a school system it's not something that you'll lose your job over once tenured.

i'd just be ticked at the company you interviewed for.

could be your company will come back and offer more money to stay or a promotion

this is what happened to my brother who works at m and t. it was recruited by another local bank...interviewed, passed background checks, and was given the job. when he told m and t he was leaving, that's when they made him an offer. the difference being he was already given the job at the other bank in case things went south.

Have had this happen before:

Once had boss here I was looking for work and he asked why and I said because I was unsatisfied with raise and he arranged for me to get a mid-year review and raise. They were in no position to replace me for time left on contract was too short. I told him I was going to look anyways since no guarantee of extension but I would tell potential employers date I was available was end of contract date. Called back other company and told them I would not be taking position because they violated the "Do not contact current employer" request. A month before contract ended boss told contract officer they were in danger of losing people due to contract expiration. Contract officer asked "who?" and when my name was mentioned contract officer said he could put me on another contract going on for at least another year and lend me back to current contract.

Another time it was a recruiter who submitted my resume to my current company with name and current company not on it but my work was recognized since it had my patent listed. When I asked I told them a recruiter called me about updating my resume and I gave him the info but did state I was looking. He stated he had heard that about recruiters many times.

If your current manager is any good at his job, he'll talk to you about why you're looking elsewhere.

If your reasons are things that he can't improve, then he should simply ask that you don't let your search for a better opportunity get in the way of doing your best while still employed with your current company.

Otherwise, maybe this will give him a reason to really listen to you and perhaps make some improvements and everyone wins.

There is no such thing as loyalty anymore ... not by employees and certainly not by employers.

Any decent member of management will realize this and not want to retaliate against you for wanting to better yourself.

Disloyalty comes with risks.

Even money says you're a boomer.

If you have been there a while they can't fire you because some one called in for a reference.

Almost all employment nowadays is at-will. They can fire him for no reason whatsoever if they feel like it.

Check with your HR department on your companies reference policy. Many companies cover themselves from libel or slander accusations with a policy to only confirm/deny employment.

You may be able to turn this back to where your current boss just tripped over his own dick.

Haha. I recently got a new job, and TWICE I accidentally printed itineraries for my interview trips (flights, hotel, etc.) to my current company's home office, while I was AT my current company's other office (elsewhere in Rochester) :wallbash:

Someone (no idea who) simply stapled them and placed them on my desk, apparently. No one called me out on it.

Good luck!

Edited by Cereal

It was a back door reference as in they just went behind my back.

If your current manager is any good at his job, he'll talk to you about why you're looking elsewhere.

If your reasons are things that he can't improve, then he should simply ask that you don't let your search for a better opportunity get in the way of doing your best while still employed with your current company.

Otherwise, maybe this will give him a reason to really listen to you and perhaps make some improvements and everyone wins.

There is no such thing as loyalty anymore ... not by employees and certainly not by employers.

Any decent member of management will realize this and not want to retaliate against you for wanting to better yourself.

I just had a long talk with my boss.

She's cool and understands. She just wants me to be more upfront if I'm unhappy about something. She said "let us try to make it better for you. If we can't offer that to you, we just want you to be happy".

Edited by Teeflebees

this is what happened to my brother who works at m and t. it was recruited by another local bank...interviewed, passed background checks, and was given the job. when he told m and t he was leaving, that's when they made him an offer. the difference being he was already given the job at the other bank in case things went south.

I did a lot of hiring (and plenty of firing) at banks over the years. This happens more often than mostly people realize, it's part of the process. Moral of the story --- make yourself valuable and hard to do without. Edited by Augie

It was a back door reference as in they just went behind my back.

I just had a long talk with my boss.

She's cool and understands. She just wants me to be more upfront if I'm happy about something. She said "let us try to make it better for you. If we can't offer that to you, we just want you to be happy".

If a prospective employer did that to me, I'd without hesitation tell them to !@#$ off. Unless I desperately needed the job, then I'd take it while looking for another job, and tell them to !@#$ off later.

If they go behind your back when you're a candidate, imagine what they'll do when you actually work for them.