Ever get caught interviewing from your employer?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check with your HR department on your companies reference policy. Many companies cover themselves from libel or slander accusations with a policy to only confirm/deny employment.

You may be able to turn this back to where your current boss just tripped over his own dick.

Exactly, big problems can await people who give more than start date, finish date and last position held.

My wife changed banks after 18 years of employment at one place. It is extremely bad form to let that cat out of the bag in any way. She knew the new place wanted her and actually nixed some additional interviews as the greater the number of people are in the know, the greater the chances word gets out. You don't mess with an 18 year employer that way. As it turns out, the old bank did want to keep her, and she could always go back there. NEVER be a bridge burner!

Edited by Augie

interviewing is in no way a sign of disloyalty

Interviewing is 100% totally disloyal in my work.

Seen several fired because of it.

could be your company will come back and offer more money to stay or a promotion

Then you wake up.

Depends on how valuable you are, for starters...

Then you wake up.Depends on how valuable you are, for starters...

GE fires them. Take Badge when you give 2 weeks notice. Have only seen it a handful of time they let them stay.

GE fires them. Take Badge when you give 2 weeks notice. Have only seen it a handful of time they let them stay.

My accounting specialty is very limited in people in the city, they would be on the phone to my firm in 2 seconds asking what is going on if I reached out for the same job at a similar firm.

They'd be wondering if the boss was dying or the firm was collapsing more so than for my sake, but the contact would be made immediately.

The range of possible outcomes is pretty broad here: anything from fired on the spot to a promotion and a raise. I guess it's good to know your workplace!

Promo and raise usually comes from presenting a legit offer elsewhere, which just magically appeared on the wings of angels.

My accounting specialty is very limited in people in the city, they would be on the phone to my firm in 2 seconds asking what is going on if I reached out for the same job at a similar firm.

They'd be wondering if the boss was dying or the firm was collapsing more so than for my sake, but the contact would be made immediately[/b.

Then I don't think I'd want to work for them anyway.

Then I don't think I'd want to work for them anyway.

Well.... the only reason I'd be moving is deserting a sinking ship.

For accounting specialty lines seeking promotion by movement to partnership or just below, you HAVE to contact the partners of the current firm for reference. Hopefully it's an accepted situation and the firm is fine with releasing someone who wasn't going to get partner status at the original firm.

Promo and raise usually comes from presenting a legit offer elsewhere, which just magically appeared on the wings of angels.

My wife and I have combined in excess of 50 years of banking experience. It's quite common to keep talented or difficult to replace people with a raise. The industry knows (in general) that it has to be kept hush hush. I had a guy say to me once "Look, we don't have the same facilities or product line, so about all I can offer you is money". That had a nice ring to it :) . But I stayed where I was (WITH a raise) because I thought the other bank was in trouble. As it turns out, they lasted a lot longer than my healthy bank who got gobbled up a large, financial cesspool of an employer. Ooops. Life can do that to you.

And I'll bet your employer holds Stalin's dictum closer: "Loyalty is a disease of dogs."

That is the antithesis of loyalty. :lol:

For accounting specialty lines seeking promotion by movement to partnership or just below, you HAVE to contact the partners of the current firm for reference. Hopefully it's an accepted situation and the firm is fine with releasing someone who wasn't going to get partner status at the original firm.

That's interesting coming form banking where you get zero info (generally) other than dates and last position held.

My wife and I have combined in excess of 50 years of banking experience. It's quite common to keep talented or difficult to replace people with a raise. The industry knows (in general) that it has to be kept hush hush. I had a guy say to me once "Look, we don't have the same facilities or product line, so about all I can offer you is money". That had a nice ring to it :) . But I stayed where I was (WITH a raise) because I thought the other bank was in trouble. As it turns out, they lasted a lot longer than my healthy bank who got gobbled up a large, financial cesspool of an employer. Ooops. Life can do that to you.

The bank is a different matter.

Up here our "top banks" are chartered so they won't collapse or merge or get bought out just for tax-writeoff reasons.

That's interesting coming form banking where you get zero info (generally) other than dates and last position held.

Partners of big and boutique firms all know each other and probably talk frankly in private about their minions. They also over the last 2 decades have started retaining and liking to retain good employees who aren't partnership material. Used to be sink or swim and they'd gladly dump off these folk, but things change over time.

And I'll bet your employer holds Stalin's dictum closer: "Loyalty is a disease of dogs."

That is the antithesis of loyalty. :lol:

DCT, THAT'S why they'd think something was going down if I asked for "a coffee" with competition...

The range of possible outcomes is pretty broad here: anything from fired on the spot to a promotion and a raise. I guess it's good to know your workplace!

I think it would depend on what kind of work you do and how high up the ladder you are.

I think it would depend on what kind of work you do and how high up the ladder you are.

Yup, at the bottom or the top is good.

Stuck in the middle is never good when "things are interesting..."

Yeah, if you are easy to replace, that can be dangerous. In my wife's work the whole first year is spent training people (even experienced ones) and get them up to speed on systems, etc. Some people do not produce a single dollar in year one, but they are serious overhead and an investment you bring along. In general, the closer you are to the ground and generating the revenue, the safer you are. Middle management is always at risk (I learned that the hard way). My son's employer just got bought. He brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars each month, and he survived. His awesome boss? Not so lucky. I went thru 6-7 bank mergers. It gets bloody. :(

Yup, at the bottom or the top is good.

Stuck in the middle is never good when "things are interesting..."

And the TOP is better. :)

If a prospective employer did that to me, I'd without hesitation tell them to !@#$ off. Unless I desperately needed the job, then I'd take it while looking for another job, and tell them to !@#$ off later.

If they go behind your back when you're a candidate, imagine what they'll do when you actually work for them.

This is the only thing you need to take away from this thread, except be nicer than Tom would.

Call the prospective employer and nicely tell him to withdraw your name. If he asks why, tell him he knows why and just leave it at that.

That was a crappy thing to do.

My son gets called often by headhunters.

I know someone that had a mid 6 figure income that a headhunter came to him with an offer he could not refuse. Had about 17 years with his company. Huge signing bonus. Now he travels 1,000,000 plus miles a year.

My son gets called often by headhunters.

I know someone that had a mid 6 figure income that a headhunter came to him with an offer he could not refuse. Had about 17 years with his company. Huge signing bonus. Now he travels 1,000,000 plus miles a year.

That's how it usually goes in moving, set your priorities and hopefully not have to swallow too much mud to meet them.

I get HH calls but not in my specific field, but I can always drop out of the public firm and move over to the private sector in a similar kind of job.

Yeah, if you are easy to replace, that can be dangerous. In my wife's work the whole first year is spent training people (even experienced ones) and get them up to speed on systems, etc. Some people do not produce a single dollar in year one, but they are serious overhead and an investment you bring along. In general, the closer you are to the ground and generating the revenue, the safer you are. Middle management is always at risk (I learned that the hard way). My son's employer just got bought. He brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars each month, and he survived. His awesome boss? Not so lucky. I went thru 6-7 bank mergers. It gets bloody. :(

And the TOP is better. :)

TOP is usually better, rarely ends well though, they die off quick or they can't stop showing up at the office all day.

TOP also get indicted and can spend years fighting off legit or bogus charges.

TOPS family is 95% of the time a total shambles as well, often quite amusing to observe...

If a prospective employer did that to me, I'd without hesitation tell them to !@#$ off. Unless I desperately needed the job, then I'd take it while looking for another job, and tell them to !@#$ off later.

If they go behind your back when you're a candidate, imagine what they'll do when you actually work for them.

My boss even said that she couldn't believe they did that.

I think it was retaliation because I did turn them down. I think they thought they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse but I did. I like my company but if it's not a homerun in an offer, I'm not going to move.