Mike Lombardi on the Draft

norton20

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pushed it off and pushed it off, but man, it's creeping back up... Draft Watson and try and solve this QB issue once and for all.

He's the only QB I wouldn't mind at 10...still think OJ Howard or Reuben Foster or Adams/Hooker would be better picks.

I'd be fine with Howard, personally. Having a great TE is an awesome thing to have. That said, is there a worse team in NFL history at drafting TEs than the Bills? The only one who they drafted early who turned out to be any good was Paul Seymour, and he was an OT in college! And he was basically a glorified blocker in the OJ years. Reuben "Hands of Stone" Gant and Tony "Who???" Hunter are the only other first rounders.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

I'd be fine with Howard, personally. Having a great TE is an awesome thing to have. That said, is there a worse team in NFL history at drafting TEs than the Bills? The only one who they drafted early who turned out to be any good was Paul Seymour, and he was an OT in college! And he was basically a glorified blocker in the OJ years. Reuben "Hands of Stone" Gant and Tony "Who???" Hunter are the only other first rounders.

Is this really only restricted to TEs?

This is a really interesting read (at least to me) on how the Pats rate players coming out and who fits as a potentially immediate starter on both offense and defense this year. I particularly agree with the reasoning for Belichick's trade down philosophy:

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-top-prospects-leonard-fournette-deshaun-watson-302c5ae6434c

Mike Lombardi should be on the Bills' payroll.

Watson doesn't make any sense for the bills. I like the guy and think in the right system he will do very well but he's not a fit for our climate. He's TT with a weaker arm. I honestly don't want any QB in this class but if they are sold on taking one then it might as well be on the guy with the best shot at becoming a franchise QB in Buffalo and that's Trubisky.

I'd prefer to take either top safety (Adams or Hooker), OJ Howard, or try and trade back and get Corey Davis who can do it all at WR (not mike Williams, he's not a 1st round talent imo) or a CB like Conley who fits McDermotts scheme. Heck I'd even take McCaffrey based on value and he brings to an offense.

Thanks for this. BTW, every one of them has been intelligently discussed around here for months. With lame and silly threads sometimes seeming to take over, it is a nice reminder that there are very knowledgeable people regularly contributing.

The Bills spent a lot of money on Clay who is a good receiving TE. He was underutilized because TT was not adept at seam passes and throwing in the middle of the field. Not being able to proficiently go through progressions and using the TE as the secondary receiver also squandered the receiving talent on the field.

As I have said on other posts the smart approach is to get a qb who can maximize the receiving talents such as Watkins and Clay instead of acquiring receivers for the purpose of buttressing a limited qb. The sequence is backwards for this backward thinking franchise.

Lombardi is a back-stabbing, self-aggrandizing tool. He has had horrific results when he's been in charge of drafts and personnel. He has made countless enemies by lying to and screwing over people. Don't read too much into this article. He's just parroting information that's generally available - and acting like he figured it all out himself. Please don't buy into his schtick.

Lombardi is a back-stabbing, self-aggrandizing tool. He has had horrific results when he's been in charge of drafts and personnel. He has made countless enemies by lying to and screwing over people. Don't read too much into this article. He's just parroting information that's generally available - and acting like he figured it all out himself. Please don't buy into his schtick.

That certainly may well be true. I have no idea. I didn't cite his article to boost him but rather because I thought it was interesting, both in thinking about the draft as a process and for what was said about some of this year's prospecrs.

The Bills spent a lot of money on Clay who is a good receiving TE. He was underutilized because TT was not adept at seam passes and throwing in the middle of the field. Not being able to proficiently go through progressions and using the TE as the secondary receiver also squandered the receiving talent on the field.

As I have said on other posts the smart approach is to get a qb who can maximize the receiving talents such as Watkins and Clay instead of acquiring receivers for the purpose of buttressing a limited qb. The sequence is backwards for this backward thinking franchise.

I strongly agree. At this point, I think Howard would likely be wasted on this team.

That TT can't throw in the middle of the field is a fallacy that has been proven on this site before...wish I could find it, but the stats do not back up that assertion. It was more the play-calling than TT.

Could you imagine OJ and Clay in a two TE set, with McCoy in the backfield and Watkins out wide? Trust me, if TT actually does have a problem throwing over the middle, that'll cure it.

Plus, OJ would really help the right side of the OL.

This guy is Vernon Davis on the low side and Gronk on the high. He's an instant starter in this league. You do not pass that up.

Interesting read.

A couple thoughts: confirms that I still don't want any of the WRs at 10; OJ will most likely be gone; I doubt one of Adams/Hooker will be there, but one of Allen/Thomas could, and I'd be happy with either one; otherwise, trade back.

That TT can't throw in the middle of the field is a fallacy that has been proven on this site before...wish I could find it, but the stats do not back up that assertion. It was more the play-calling than TT.

Could you imagine OJ and Clay in a two TE set, with McCoy in the backfield and Watkins out wide? Trust me, if TT actually does have a problem throwing over the middle, that'll cure it.

Plus, OJ would really help the right side of the OL.

This guy is Vernon Davis on the low side and Gronk on the high. He's an instant starter in this league. You do not pass that up.

Tyrod Taylor extremely accurate over the middle of the field in 2016 and one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL under pressure.

Speaking of Tyrod’s game -- you know the idea that he struggles (or is afraid) to throw over the middle? Well, the following numbers essentially prove that’s a fallacy.

While throwing to the middle of the field in 2016, Tyrod completed 103 of 137 (75.1% completion rate) of his passes for 1,027 yards (7.49 yards per attempt) with four TDs and zero INTs. All that equates to a QB Rating of 105.7. His QB rating passing to the right side of the field was an even 105. To the left — 85.7.

His 137 passes to the middle of the field accounted for 34.5% of his 397. Quite an even distribution when splitting the field into thirds.

Also, Tyrod’s 103 completions to the middle of the field accounted for 38.1% of his 270 total completions on the season.

Just 78 of his 270 completions (28.8%) went to the left side of the field and 89 went to the right side (32.9%).

You’re reading that correctly — the highest percentage of Tyrod’s completions in 2016 came in the middle of the field... the specific area in which it was widely believed he didn’t utilize enough.

Here is your reading material.

And also here.

Quote from Greg Roman before the season started last year in regards to not throwing over the middle very often in 2015 - I definitely think that is something we did not focus on as a staff last year."

Also before last season Rex Ryan was quoted saying "Because of the way we can run the football, we’re going to get a lot more coverages that dictate throws outside the numbers more so than a lot of teams."

Tyrod's inability to "throw over the middle" is complete nonsense. Greg Roman admitted before last season that "middle of the field" passes were something they did not focus on as a staff.

And yet Tyrod threw over the middle 1/3 of the time anyway and completed a very high percentage in 2016 (75.1%)

Edited by PolishDave

Yet Belichick has thought enough of him to hire him multiple times. He may be a tool, but I'll take BB's opinion any day over anyone else's in the NFL.

For the Lombardi haters: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lombardi_(American_football) .

Belichick, Al Davis, and Bill Walsh all hired him and worked for relatively long stints with him. The guy has street cred.

Edited by dave mcbride