Are the Bills back to being the NFL's farm team?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a misconception that they have cap issues. They easily could have signed Woods and Gilmore. They have the Dareus and Glenn restructures to use at any point. Deciding Gilmore isn't worth $14M a year doesn't mean they couldn't afford him. They thought in both cases that the value wasn't there.

And IMHO it's impossible to argue with that conclusion...I don't think either was worth what they got...Not even close...And I did not dislike either player...Woods was one of my favs...But the value was absent in both those contracts...To me it was a complete no-brainer to let both walk... B-)

And IMHO it's impossible to argue with that conclusion...I don't think either was worth what they got...Not even close...And I did not dislike either player...Woods was one of my favs...But the value was absent in both those contracts...To me it was a complete no-brainer to let both walk... B-)

That is where I stand too. Admittedly I like Woods less than most but probably liked Gilmore a little more. Either way, neither was a good business decision for the Bills.

You don't pay woods if you plan on keeping Watkins. That was high end #2 borderline #1 money. Watkins (assuming he plays well over the next year or two) will want big $$$.

Yes, Micah Hyde was a 5th round pick for them that the Bills just paid 32,500,000 to. Please name a recent Bill drafted in the 4th round or later that received a similar contract.

By the way, the Bills current GM set up the 2013 draft board. In the same round as the Packers got Micah Hyde the Bills drafted Jonathan Meeks and the round before Duke Williams. Neither of the safeties the Bills drafted were even decent BACKUPS!

Green Bay > Buffalo

In recent years, I can think of Stevie Johnson (7th) and Kyle Williams (5th). There are not too many players beyond the 3rd round that end up getting big contracts no matter what team is drafting. Again Green Bay has had elite QB play for decades and that has covered for many of their deficiencies at other positions. GB is also able to draft players to fit their systems and schemes as there is not a lot of turnover in the organization. Our schemes have constantly changed making various players that had been valuable in one system, expendable in another.

I am 1,000,000% with you here. Everyone falls prey to it here. My dad keeps telling me how great the coaching staff is going to be. We see it with every new staff. Everyone loves them until they have to coach a game and that's where reality sets in. I'm not saying that he will be bad or good but he certainly looks much better today than he will week 9.

I know what you mean, but I am not necessarily like that. I was not excited about the Rex Ryan hire at all and said so from day 1.

I wasn't all that excited by the Marrone hire either. Same with Chan Gailey.

This is the first coaching hire in years that I am legitimately excited about. I have been a fan of his for years. I love the way he had Carolina's defense playing. They were usually a fun, exciting defense to watch and produced pretty good results too (top 10 defense 4 of the last 5 years).

I really feel like this is the guy that can turn things around here. I know it's premature since he's so new. But I just think he has the right coaching traits and coaching philosophies to be very successful.

Honestly, I want McDermott to get at least 4 or 5 years no matter what. Even if we bomb this year. I know that's a dangerous statement before he's even coached a game. But I really want to see what the Bills can do with the same HC for more than 2-3 years. I want the same scheme(s) for 4-5 years so we can actually build something.

I know what you mean, but I am not necessarily like that. I was not excited about the Rex Ryan hire at all and said so from day 1.

I wasn't all that excited by the Marrone hire either. Same with Chan Gailey.

This is the first coaching hire in years that I am legitimately excited about. I have been a fan of his for years. I love the way he had Carolina's defense playing. They were usually a fun, exciting defense to watch and produced pretty good results too (top 10 defense 4 of the last 5 years).

I really feel like this is the guy that can turn things around here. I know it's premature since he's so new. But I just think he has the right coaching traits and coaching philosophies to be very successful.

Honestly, I want McDermott to get at least 4 or 5 years no matter what. Even if we bomb this year. I know that's a dangerous statement before he's even coached a game. But I really want to see what the Bills can do with the same HC for more than 2-3 years. I want the same scheme(s) for 4-5 years so we can actually build something.

McDermott will be fired next year if the Bills miss the playoffs 2 years in a row. Pegula has become less and less interested in giving his coaches time. Rex got less than 2 years and Bylsma got exactly 2 years.

McDermott will be fired next year if the Bills miss the playoffs 2 years in a row. Pegula has become less and less interested in giving his coaches time. Rex got less than 2 years and Bylsma got exactly 2 years.

I disagree. It seems T Pegs wants to be patient. The Ryan hire was a huge mistake and he realized it . I don't think they've made that mistake again. I think they really want to give a Bills HC time, at least in his interviews it seems that way. The constant churn of coaches has hurt the Bills and he voiced that at the outset. Even wanted to keep Marrone. What happens with the Sabres has nothing to do with the Bills. It may be disconcerting given that DW is on a different timeline that MD, but I'd bet MD gets three years bare minimum.

There is a misconception that they have cap issues. They easily could have signed Woods and Gilmore. They have the Dareus and Glenn restructures to use at any point. Deciding Gilmore isn't worth $14M a year doesn't mean they couldn't afford him. They thought in both cases that the value wasn't there.

Sorry, but this comment is way too thoughtful and logical for this board. Can you revise to try and capture the requisite sense of doom that is required in any comment regarding the team's personnel decisions?

I disagree. It seems T Pegs wants to be patient. The Ryan hire was a huge mistake and he realized it . I don't think they've made that mistake again. I think they really want to give a Bills HC time, at least in his interviews it seems that way. The constant churn of coaches has hurt the Bills and he voiced that at the outset. Even wanted to keep Marrone. What happens with the Sabres has nothing to do with the Bills. It may be disconcerting given that DW is on a different timeline that MD, but I'd bet MD gets three years bare minimum.

I get what you're saying in theory, but at the end of the day McDermott is replacing a basically .500 coach in Ryan and if they put in a couple of 5-11 / 6-10 seasons (not saying they will!), he is gone. The press from an already angry fan base will be too difficult resist, especially if the coach is a step down record-wise from Ryan and Marrone. If we have a couple of Chan-level seasons, he will be gone after season 2. Bank on it.

Drafting players, developing them, letting them walk, and then drafting to fill the holes they left was the worst thing about the last decade of Ralph's ownership. Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, the list goes on. The Bills had gotten away from this under Pegula by retaining a lot of good talent like Dareus, Glenn, and Wood but now we seem to going back to the way things were.

We let Gilmore and Woods, two good players that we drafted walk in free agency leaving us with CB and WR as probably our biggest holes going into the draft. And in typical Bills fashion, we'll probably just be spinning our wheels this weekend by replacing a 1st and 2nd round CB/WR we drafted with another 1st and 2nd round CB/WR we draft while other teams pay the players we developed to improve their teams. None of the players drafted by the Bills in 2013 are on the team, and there is only 1 from each of 2011 and 2012, which is just incredible.

A lot of this can be blamed on Whaley's awful cap management, but I feel like the organization still just doesn't want to hand out real contracts to good (i.e., not blockbuster and not depth) players, sticking with massively overpaying for a few marquee free agents (and Dareus, although he is supremely talented) and signing the rest of the roster off the scrap heap to 1-year prove-it deals.

And yes, I realize letting Byrd leave and go on to be a massive free agency bust runs opposite to this, but the exception proves the rule. Good teams win by nurturing the talent they draft.

When you use the word "back," it begs the question, at what point were we not the NFL farm team? How many years ago was this?

And btw, Whaley tried to re-sign Byrd. This is a dirty little secret that many Bills Fans refuse to admit. This is OK; we all have different coping mechanisms.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Drafting players, developing them, letting them walk, and then drafting to fill the holes they left was the worst thing about the last decade of Ralph's ownership. Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, the list goes on. The Bills had gotten away from this under Pegula by retaining a lot of good talent like Dareus, Glenn, and Wood but now we seem to going back to the way things were.

We let Gilmore and Woods, two good players that we drafted walk in free agency leaving us with CB and WR as probably our biggest holes going into the draft. And in typical Bills fashion, we'll probably just be spinning our wheels this weekend by replacing a 1st and 2nd round CB/WR we drafted with another 1st and 2nd round CB/WR we draft while other teams pay the players we developed to improve their teams. None of the players drafted by the Bills in 2013 are on the team, and there is only 1 from each of 2011 and 2012, which is just incredible.

A lot of this can be blamed on Whaley's awful cap management, but I feel like the organization still just doesn't want to hand out real contracts to good (i.e., not blockbuster and not depth) players, sticking with massively overpaying for a few marquee free agents (and Dareus, although he is supremely talented) and signing the rest of the roster off the scrap heap to 1-year prove-it deals.

And yes, I realize letting Byrd leave and go on to be a massive free agency bust runs opposite to this, but the exception proves the rule. Good teams win by nurturing the talent they draft.

This is a team that went 7-9 last year and played well beneath their ability level because of poor coaching. Far from a farm team. If you really believe that, then maybe time to find another team. Bills will be better coached this year and have more depth on the roster. We'll see where that takes us but we are nobody''s "farm team".

The talent on the roster has been pretty good. The 3rd leading rusher onthe team is making more than Adrian Peterson. I like Gillislee (quite a bit) but not more than Peterson. The talent will be a little worse this year (at least it looks that way) but the coaching should offset some of that.

I get what you're saying in theory, but at the end of the day McDermott is replacing a basically .500 coach in Ryan and if they put in a couple of 5-11 / 6-10 seasons (not saying they will!), he is gone. The press from an already angry fan base will be too difficult resist, especially if the coach is a step down record-wise from Ryan and Marrone. If we have a couple of Chan-level seasons, he will be gone after season 2. Bank on it.

Absolutely.

Yes, Micah Hyde was a 5th round pick for them that the Bills just paid 32,500,000 to. Please name a recent Bill drafted in the 4th round or later that received a similar contract.

By the way, the Bills current GM set up the 2013 draft board. In the same round as the Packers got Micah Hyde the Bills drafted Jonathan Meeks and the round before Duke Williams. Neither of the safeties the Bills drafted were even decent BACKUPS!

Green Bay > Buffalo

Micah Hyde (5th rnd) 5years $30.5mil

Da'norris Searcy (4th rnd) 4 years $24mil

Edited by The Drought

Green Bay > Buffalo

Micah Hyde (5th rnd) 5years $30.5mil

Da'norris Searcy (4th rnd) 4 years $24mil

That's Buddy Nix.

The firing of Rex had nothing to do with the teams record, and had everything to do with the fact that he was that he turned the team into a circus sideshow and made an up and coming team worse, and they kept getting worse instead of better. He inherited a top ranked defence and dropped it to the bottom, all while being touted as a defensive guru/genius. His teams under performed by alot. What was once a team on the verge of the playoffs with a few tweaks went back to being one that was out of contention before the first snow fall.

That is why Rex was fired

As for the Sabres, Bylsma continued to underperform and the team gave up on him and tuned him out because of his coaching and system.