Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To challenge the assertion that most teams are paying their back-up running backs $3-4m per year, the facts indicate otherwise.

According to spotrac.com, only two teams in the NFL have two running backs with cap hits of $3m or more.

Both of these teams employ nearly a 50/50 timeshare.

Eagles - Sproles/Matthews

Jets - Forte/Powell

My research indicates that no team is paying a running back with a 20% or less carry share anywhere near $4m.

There are at least 4, but that's not really the point.

The point is more that recent backup RB contracts are absolutely in that vicinity.

Now as I've said, one can make a salient argument that the team can't afford to pay a backup $4M for this upcoming season when they're paying the starter $9M, and it's worth discussing.

IMO, looking at next year, when the cap hit drops to $2.5M and the cap goes up, we'll be happy they did it.

This. Again the Cheaters are paying Rex Burkhead $3.15M.

And to address those that say, "All we needed was to spend an extra $900k on that second round tender!", despite no teams really ever doing this.

$900k alone gets you the next season of each of these running backs:

Tevin Coleman

Jerrick McKinnon

David Johnson

James White

Matt Jones

Rob Kelley

Jay Ajayi

Thomas Rawls

Paul Perkins

Jordan Howard

And I can already hear you saying, "But these guys are on super team-friendly rookie contracts!"

All the more reason to build talent through the draft, right? A 5th round pick sure might help turn some bloated backup contracts into sweet upside laden rookie deals, no?

To challenge the assertion that most teams are paying their back-up running backs $3-4m per year, the facts indicate otherwise.

According to spotrac.com, only two teams in the NFL have two running backs with cap hits of $3m or more.

Both of these teams employ nearly a 50/50 timeshare.

Eagles - Sproles/Matthews

Jets - Forte/Powell

My research indicates that no team is paying a running back with a 20% or less carry share anywhere near $4m.

You need to look at AAV and not just cap hit.

Guys like Theo Riddick--who were supposed to be backups before injuries hit--are getting that much in AAV.

You need to look at AAV and not just cap hit.

Guys like Theo Riddick--who were supposed to be backups before injuries hit--are getting that much in AAV.

Riddick was always going to be in a timeshare with a clear role (all passing down work, all hurry up) injury or not. Not entirely sure Ameer Abdullah's role and stature in that offense is remotely comparable to McCoy's in ours.

Edit: In all games Riddick played (including two he was injured in), he averaged >50% more carries than Gillislee.

Edit 2: And, he averaged more than 5 catches in each of those games as well.

Edited by akm0404

LOL! The more this gets said, the more people get added to the stupid list.

They shouldn't, but that's not how the world works. Again, any other team but the Cheaters and they more than likely let him walk.

But you're going to have a hard time getting a player of MG's caliber with a late 5th round pick. Sure you might get lucky, but odds are you won't.

MG was a 5th round pick wasn't he? I don't think you pay him for the same reason you usually don't draft a running back in the first round.

MG was a 5th round pick wasn't he? I don't think you pay him for the same reason you usually don't draft a running back in the first round.

Welcome.

Yes, he was. And he didn't make the Dolphins or Cardinals rosters. Then he came here as depth behind our 5th round pick Karlos WIlliams. Then he replaced Karlos because Karlos ate Eddie Lacy. Now he's getting paid and I'm happy for him.

Riddick was always going to be in a timeshare with a clear role (all passing down work, all hurry up) injury or not. Not entirely sure Ameer Abdullah's role and stature in that offense is remotely comparable to McCoy's in ours.

Edit: In all games Riddick played (including two he was injured in), he averaged >50% more carries than Gillislee.

Edit 2: And, he averaged more than 5 catches in each of those games as well.

so, if you remove a bunch of situations, and look at cap hit instead of average value, there are only a few that fit?

bandit isnt arguing that a TON of RB2 are getting paid like that, simply that enough are that its not fair to pretend we would be the only one. its not the norm, but its not incredibly rare either as a middle ground we can settle on?

He is McCoys backup, you know hamstring McCoy, one cut from IR. And He goes to NE to join Gilmore on their way to Superbowl again. And destroying the Bills and laughing while they do it.

And if we keep Gillislee, this changes how?

You can find good to great players drafted in every round. Does that mean you should count on finding one in that round, when you have one already in-hand? That's the point. Why accept a 5th rounder that will in all likelihood bust when you can keep a guy who you know will produce because he's done it 2 years in a row for you?