Rotoworld ranks Whaley as worst GM in NFL

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Why in God's name do you even need GM's. Every NFL team should be run by the head coach. Including player personnel issues. They select the players that fit their scheme. Simple as that!

Should I assume you are serious? You think there is no place for a GM? I mean, head coaches have so little to do, why wake them from their naps to deal with details? Now, who has more control on personnel decisions? That's a different question.

I'm not a big fan of DW. I think he's done a good job with FA. Apparently the pro scouts working for him have some skill. But our college scouting and drafts have been weak.

But here's the thing I don't get. Under Rex - who was not a Whaley hire - the Bills were roughly a .500 team.

Most of us agree that Rex did a poor job as a HC/DC. Some of us would say 'very poor.'

Logic says, then, that if a bad coach delivered a .500-ish record with this team, the roster must have been above average.

If the roster (the only thing DW controlled) was indeed above average, how is DW the worst GM in the league???

You can say DW has been bad. You can say Rex was bad. But you can't say both were bad. The average-ish W-L record doesn't support the notion that they both suck.

I'm not a big fan of DW. I think he's done a good job with FA. Apparently the pro scouts working for him have some skill. But our college scouting and drafts have been weak.

But here's the thing I don't get. Under Rex - who was not a Whaley hire - the Bills were roughly a .500 team.

Most of us agree that Rex did a poor job as a HC/DC. Some of us would say 'very poor.'

Logic says, then, that if a bad coach delivered a .500-ish record with this team, the roster must have been above average.

If the roster (the only thing DW controlled) was indeed above average, how is DW the worst GM in the league???

You can say DW has been bad. You can say Rex was bad. But you can't say both were bad. The average-ish W-L record doesn't support the notion that they both suck.

Fully agree. Good offense, Rex wrecked a formerly great defense. That's not on Whaley.

I'd say that the issue is that he inherited a very solid core of talent and had a wealth of cap room and high draft picks at his disposal and he's simply not done much with it and his roster appears to be going in the wrong direction.

There have just been a lot of bad choices made.

I don't count Sammy as one of those but even that hasn't panned out.

A prime example to me was Rex offseason 1.........the Bills hire Rex and he immediately announces that a big redzone threat type WR2 and NT are the chief needs of the team.

They then proceed to go out and acquire and extend McCoy......throw away a high 5th round pick for a broken down Matt Cassell who couldn't even pass the team physical.......paid thru the nose for Clay despite an apparent chronic knee problem......and then got Brandon Marshall THAT EXACT WR2 THEY NEEDED stolen out from under their nose for a pick they could have trumped with the pick they gave away for Cassell :doh: ......instead paid Harvin the money and then got no Nose Tackle.

In summation.......they spent a fortune and didn't even address their PRIMARY NEEDS in FA. :doh:

They then wasted Dareus talent for two years tying up blockers and Harvin only lasted a few games.

Just awful........and you gotta' point the finger at the personnel man for that.

It was kid-in-candystore behavior........and they are still paying for that impulse shopping silliness on their salary cap.

when you rank the raider guy in the teens ,after the amazing job he did, and the Ram guy in front of anyone you have throw the whole thing out

two afc championship games

Two of the most talented defenses in NFL history. Neither Rex Ryan, nor Mark Sanchez, had **** to do with those runs.

That's like saying Marv Levy had something to do with the Bills going to 4 Super Bowls. No. He had something to do with the LOSING 4 Super Bowls. Just like Rex Ryan couldn't get the Jets TO the Super Bowl with the best defense in the league for two years.

...and why is that? Answer...because the people doing the hiring of said coaches... SUCK AT IT.

Isn't it amazing how many short sighted fans tend to blame only what they see: players and coaches. Trying to debate the nuance of personnel strategy for some is a bridge too far.

Both Whaley and Murray were given coaches they didn't hire.

Ive always wondered if Bylsma was a Pegula hire and I've seen lots of fans speculating that it was (because of Pegula's ties to the Pens/hiring Ted Black etc and the rumors that Murray wanted Luke Richardson (although LR said Tim Murray never even contacted him about the Sabres job)), but I've never actually seen anything credible stating that Bylsma was indeed a Pegula hire (if you know of anyone who did, please share).

Murray's comments at his most recent end of the season presser make me think that it was him who hired Bylsma. When asked if it was up to him if Bylsma stays or goes, he said that Pegula has never once interfered in any of Murray's decisions or told him he had to hire/fire anyone - that he's always been able to make all those types of decisions himself.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/71467/57/nfls-best-gms-2017?pg=3

Only GMs ranked below him were just hired this offseason

They ranked him 17th last year

It's a reasonable stand, but arguing that the Bills sabotaged Tyrod is ridiculous. Keeping out an injured guy from a meaningless game isn't sabotaging him. If you want to argue that they sabotaged him, the argument that they should've brought in more WRs last year is a lot more reasonable, though bringing in Clay and making the run game so terrific were the opposite of sabotage, they were great support for Tyrod.

1) Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. One of the best trades in the last 10 years.

An excellent trade. Under Buddy Nix.

2) McCoy for Kiko, coming off knee surgery. One of the best trades in 10 years.

Isn't part of being a GM acquiring talent by any means necessary. I'm not a giant TT fan but you could argue he is one of the most successful FA qbs of the last 5 years. Incognito was a great move.

When you don't have an elite qb, all your misses are magnified. Last year, if you trade Brady for Taylor, there's not a doubt in mind we are SB contenders.

The draft is more important than FAs, because draftees are cheaper. If you draft well you don't just get talent but your cap stays in better shape.

Trades and FAs are also important but your cap will tend to be strained if that's the main thing you're good at, and you'll end up losing guys like Gillislee (and the other deals we might have done but didn't because of money limitations this year) because you don't have money.

Edited by Thurman#1

Technically, Whaley wasn't GM for any of those drafts you listed. His first draft as actual GM was 2014.

We can argue how much say he had in those drafts, but none of us know for sure. They very well could have been all Whaley, but we don't really know.

Also, are you sure about him having the lowest number of starters in his tenure? When is that measured from, 2010-2016/17? Or 2014-2017? Just curious. Do you have a link? Not saying I don't believe you. I'd just like to see the info for myself. I hadn't heard that about Whaley. I'd be interested to read it.

I recently came across an article that ranked the starters from the first 3 rounds from 2010-2015 and it had the Bills 6th in the NFL. It has probably changed since then because the Bills lost some starters to FA, but they were still drafted by Buffalo...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/3/2/11145156/2010-2015-nfl-drafts-team-by-team-draft-success-in-first-three-rounds

He was the director of pro personnel, he had say in the draft picks and he was a GM in waiting, everyone knew this even us fans.

Here is the article about the Bills having the least amount of draft picks starting on the roster. http://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-buffalo-news/20161219/282471413508552

He was the director of pro personnel, he had say in the draft picks and he was a GM in waiting, everyone knew this even us fans.

Here is the article about the Bills having the least amount of draft picks starting on the roster. http://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-buffalo-news/20161219/282471413508552

Yes, he had say. And yes he was the GM in waiting. But did he disagree with any of these picks? We don't know, except for Manuel, the one pick we know for sure he supported.

The guy who pulled the trigger gets the blame and the credit. That's the way it's always been, will always be, and should be.

I'd say that the issue is that he inherited a very solid core of talent and had a wealth of cap room and high draft picks at his disposal and he's simply not done much with it and his roster appears to be going in the wrong direction.

There have just been a lot of bad choices made.

I don't count Sammy as one of those but even that hasn't panned out.

A prime example to me was Rex offseason 1.........the Bills hire Rex and he immediately announces that a big redzone threat type WR2 and NT are the chief needs of the team.

They then proceed to go out and acquire and extend McCoy......throw away a high 5th round pick for a broken down Matt Cassell who couldn't even pass the team physical.......paid thru the nose for Clay despite an apparent chronic knee problem......and then got Brandon Marshall THAT EXACT WR2 THEY NEEDED stolen out from under their nose for a pick they could have trumped with the pick they gave away for Cassell :doh: ......instead paid Harvin the money and then got no Nose Tackle.

In summation.......they spent a fortune and didn't even address their PRIMARY NEEDS in FA. :doh:

They then wasted Dareus talent for two years tying up blockers and Harvin only lasted a few games.

Just awful........and you gotta' point the finger at the personnel man for that.

It was kid-in-candystore behavior........and they are still paying for that impulse shopping silliness on their salary cap.

Thank you. The above is correct word for word. And of course the trade-up for Sammy was far from the only time Whaley threw away draft picks.

Whaley has wasted so much cap space that the Patriots have been able to step in and strip our team of players and I'm not even referring to Gilmore, who as far as I'm concerned they can have for 40 mil or so guaranteed.

I think Whaley's raw as a GM in the same way that EJ's raw as a QB.

Raw, meaning they both suck?

He's definitely the worst in the league.

I'm still shocked the guy is here. Horrible move not to can him months ago.

Just speculating, but when the Pegula's purchased the Bills, maybe there was an agreement in place that covered Whaley being employed for a certain amount of years. The context here is not to mean solely for Whaley, but a number of Front Office Folks. Look at the Scott Berchtold situation, he wasn't fired. He was replaced then re-positioned within the organization.

Again, just speculating.......

I have always thought Whaley was an imbecile due to his inability to articulate or even form a coherent thought. I hoped, as others preached, that being somewhat intelligent wasn't a prerequisite to being able to evaluate talent on the field but it hasn't worked out that way. I hope Whaley has a 'win now' mandate, either way I would be happy at season's end...Whaley is gone or the drought is over.