QB TJ Yates Visited the Bills and now Signed to a Deal

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand the logic in this. Wouldn't it be more important for a team with less certainty at QB?

If you don't have a franchise QB then it's probably better to have as many prospects on your roster as possible. Yates takes up one of those spots.

they need at least four probably five qbs to start training camp. not much reason not to make yates or any of another handful of bland young vets one of them. add a pick and maybe a udfa camp arm and youre all set

Yates woudn't take the job if that was the case because they would almost certainly not cut Taylor, their new high draft pick or Jones. That means Yates is a guaranteed cut at the end of camp. The camp arm is not going to be a QB as qualified as Yates, IMO.

If you don't have a franchise QB then it's probably better to have as many prospects on your roster as possible. Yates takes up one of those spots.

or just keep 4 guys...we are a team that had a guy that just kicked off in a league where it's 85% touchbacks. If you like a guy draft him anyway. With or without Yates

i don't understand the logic in this. Wouldn't it be more important for a team with less certainty at QB?

Why so you can win just enough games to suck still? While playing a guy who you know won't pull you out of suck...

Over an unknown who might just get "it"...

Edited by Beef Jerky

People get very quickly enamored of the next QB, whoever that may be. Seems to me that much of the time, they are just more hot garbage. This QB class is not much better than the one we picked EJ in. If you want potential, we have it in Jones, but have yet to really try and develop it, imho.

How about we sign a vet to backup Taylor, and actually get Jones some decent reps, to see if he can become something - even if it's just going to be next years backup.

Everyone gets it - we don't have a 'franchise' QB, yet neither do we need to waste a draft pick, on another project, and by all accounts, pretty much anyone drafted this year (QB) is going to be one.

If it was a good QB class, then there's a different argument to be made, but, put simply, it isn't.

One of the biggest exercises in futility in the NFL, is drafting worse players, than you already have on the roster. Yet it seems as though just because it's a QB, that's ok. ;(

People get very quickly enamored of the next QB, whoever that may be. Seems to me that much of the time, they are just more hot garbage. This QB class is not much better than the one we picked EJ in. If you want potential, we have it in Jones, but have yet to really try and develop it, imho.

How about we sign a vet to backup Taylor, and actually get Jones some decent reps, to see if he can become something - even if it's just going to be next years backup.

Everyone gets it - we don't have a 'franchise' QB, yet neither do we need to waste a draft pick, on another project, and by all accounts, pretty much anyone drafted this year (QB) is going to be one.

If it was a good QB class, then there's a different argument to be made, but, put simply, it isn't.

One of the biggest exercises in futility in the NFL, is drafting worse players, than you already have on the roster. Yet it seems as though just because it's a QB, that's ok. ;(

Imagine if people knew if this or that class is going to be a good draft class... When you don't try you never have a chance to begin with.

Camp Roster:

1. TT

2. Yates-paid $760k last year

3. Later draft pick

4. Jones-ZERO faith in this pick but he's here

I'd be on board with this but I seriously doubt they keep 4 QBs on the active roster. Only the Jets did that last season I believe.

Imagine if people knew if this or that class is going to be a good draft class... When you don't try you never have a chance to begin with.

Your plan, to me anyway, suggests you don't think the Bills have a chance in hell of competing this year. If you're the Browns and you don't expect to compete for several seasons your plan makes some sense. If you think you're going to field a competitive team, which the moves the FO has made in the offseason thus far would suggest that is their belief, then going in to the season without a known quantity as a backup QB is not a good plan.

Yates doesn't stop them from drafting a QB and putting either Jones or the rookie on the PS. It also doesn't stop them from moving Yates to #3 or cutting him if, hallelujah, either Jones or the rookie looks like a legitimate QB. Developing 3 unknowns in one offseason isn't likely to succeed, and is probably more likely to guarantee the failure of all 3.

I liked what I saw in Houston. He isn't polished. needs a bit more time as backup.

Camp Roster:

1. TT

2. Yates-paid $760k last year

3. Later draft pick

4. Jones-ZERO faith in this pick but he's here

on #4 - did you see him in the championship game? He is incredibly poised. He has short comings yes. that's why he's a project. But that poise, usually can't be taught. fix the other aspects, teach him. He'd be better in CFL to develop his game but he's here. hopefully he will develop in 3-4 years time into a backup. and then give a few more to be a starter.

He's big, he's strong, and he won't break as easily as TT.

Your plan, to me anyway, suggests you don't think the Bills have a chance in hell of competing this year. If you're the Browns and you don't expect to compete for several seasons your plan makes some sense. If you think you're going to field a competitive team, which the moves the FO has made in the offseason thus far would suggest that is their belief, then going in to the season without a known quantity as a backup QB is not a good plan.

Yates doesn't stop them from drafting a QB and putting either Jones or the rookie on the PS. It also doesn't stop them from moving Yates to #3 or cutting him if, hallelujah, either Jones or the rookie looks like a legitimate QB. Developing 3 unknowns in one offseason isn't likely to succeed, and is probably more likely to guarantee the failure of all 3.

Even if you are going to compete a backup QB that won't win you anything still doesn't do anything for you. The only guaranteed failure is Yates b.c we already know what he brings to the table... Which is nothing.

they probably want a backup that is ready to play incase Tyrod goes down. Maybe they don't like Jones and will draft a QB to make the 3, sign a vet backup and let jones go. Jones doesn't seem to be the type of guy that McDermott has the patients for

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I absolutely believe that Jones will be let go.