Davis Webb Q.B. Cal

This is the Qb who gets my attention the most.

6-5 230 4.79 forty 33 verticle 9.8 broad . Big arm ,4,295 yds passing this season. 37 passing tds,6 rushing. This is the type of Qb I like. Gets fired up. Alot to work with. Seems to talk smarter than the other Qbs I`ve seen interviewed. Mahomes supposedly beat him out . Who`s your daddy ? Maybe ,maybe not. Anyway I like this kid.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, here was my evaluation on Webb:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192065-bandits-2017-qb-evaluations/

Davis Webb - Cal

Notes (time correlates to comment):

(0:09) climbs into the pocket without hesitation

(0:21) doesn’t set his feet and sails the deep ball into double coverage

(0:39) maintains accuracy despite throwing off back foot

(0:59) good signs here-stands tall and stays on the balls of his feet, with a good stride, and delivers on the 3-route while pocket collapses

(1:17) great awareness to break the pocket and keep his eyes up; nice TD throw on the run

(1:51) drives nicely from the top of his drop-back and shows beautiful touch on the deep ball

(2:32) should’ve held this ball longer and waited for something else to develop; almost got his RB killed

(2:41) that’s a very nice off-balance throw on the option route, which he follows up by dropping a deep fade into the bucket with Sidney Jones in coverage

(3:11) have to anticipate and make that throw sooner

(3:30) great touch on the blast throw

(4:43) this has to be the 4th or 5th time he’s had a miscommunication with a WR; not good

(5:30) this gets a mention for sheer toughness; anyone that’s willing to take that shot to make a short throw when you’re down 30 points is tough enough for me

(6:22) another really nice deep fade throw

Summary: I had to pick the Washington game to see how well Webb held up against what basically amounts to an NFL secondary (Jones/King/Baker). He really held his own for a while, but as often happens to young QBs, he started forcing throws and getting into trouble. I like the mechanics and touch on his deep throws, but I don’t see a lot of velocity on either the inward-breaking or boundary throws. He probably needs to play in a timing-based offense, but I see value on day 2 for a team that can surround him with weapons.

This is the Qb who gets my attention the most.

6-5 230 4.79 forty 33 verticle 9.8 broad . Big arm ,4,295 yds passing this season. 37 passing tds,6 rushing. This is the type of Qb I like. Gets fired up. Alot to work with. Seems to talk smarter than the other Qbs I`ve seen interviewed. Mahomes supposedly beat him out . Who`s your daddy ? Maybe ,maybe not. Anyway I like this kid.

The QB's I like late are Webb and Dobbs. Unfortunately for you, Webb is tall and white. So he will get taken higher than the value.

FWIW, here was my evaluation on Webb:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192065-bandits-2017-qb-evaluations/

Davis Webb - Cal

Notes (time correlates to comment):

(0:09) climbs into the pocket without hesitation

(0:21) doesn’t set his feet and sails the deep ball into double coverage

(0:39) maintains accuracy despite throwing off back foot

(0:59) good signs here-stands tall and stays on the balls of his feet, with a good stride, and delivers on the 3-route while pocket collapses

(1:17) great awareness to break the pocket and keep his eyes up; nice TD throw on the run

(1:51) drives nicely from the top of his drop-back and shows beautiful touch on the deep ball

(2:32) should’ve held this ball longer and waited for something else to develop; almost got his RB killed

(2:41) that’s a very nice off-balance throw on the option route, which he follows up by dropping a deep fade into the bucket with Sidney Jones in coverage

(3:11) have to anticipate and make that throw sooner

(3:30) great touch on the blast throw

(4:43) this has to be the 4th or 5th time he’s had a miscommunication with a WR; not good

(5:30) this gets a mention for sheer toughness; anyone that’s willing to take that shot to make a short throw when you’re down 30 points is tough enough for me

(6:22) another really nice deep fade throw

Summary: I had to pick the Washington game to see how well Webb held up against what basically amounts to an NFL secondary (Jones/King/Baker). He really held his own for a while, but as often happens to young QBs, he started forcing throws and getting into trouble. I like the mechanics and touch on his deep throws, but I don’t see a lot of velocity on either the inward-breaking or boundary throws. He probably needs to play in a timing-based offense, but I see value on day 2 for a team that can surround him with weapons.

West coast ? Good job bandit. I still like him alot better than Peterman

Not buying that one.

He's not comparing him to EJ, he's saying that race doesn't factor into these decisions. I don't think NFL teams ignore talented non-white QB's but lots of less talented white QB's get more play than they should. It was a minor point but let's get back quickly to Webb or the thread will be derailed.

He's not comparing him to EJ, he's saying that race doesn't factor into these decisions. I don't think NFL teams ignore talented non-white QB's but lots of less talented white QB's get more play than they should. It was a minor point but let's get back quickly to Webb or the thread will be derailed.

In all seriousness, your de facto point is not lost on me: QBs that fit the stereotypical mold of tall, strong, classic drop-back style passer tend to go higher than their personal case valuation might otherwise place them.

In all seriousness, your de facto point is not lost on me: QBs that fit the stereotypical mold of tall, strong, classic drop-back style passer tend to go higher than their personal case valuation might otherwise place them.

Thank you, you explained it well. Guys that look "right" get taken higher.

I just said I like Webb. My issue is getting him at proper value.

I think he is worth a 2nd. He has alot to work with.These college Qbs need time,something they don`t get anymore. Even the great Peyton Manning sucked his first year and Big Ben wasn`t too hot either. Both tall big white Qbs.Black,white ,indian ,I really don`t care.

Every time I watch Webb it just makes me want to draft Chad Hansen, that guy played amazing last year. Webb definitely flashed at the senior bowl, he has all the tools but also played in the Air Raid offence so he has a lot to learn. He didn't outplay Goff so I would see him a a 2-3 year developmental project.

Every time I watch Webb it just makes me want to draft Chad Hansen, that guy played amazing last year. Webb definitely flashed at the senior bowl, he has all the tools but also played in the Air Raid offence so he has a lot to learn. He didn't outplay Goff so I would see him a a 2-3 year developmental project.

yes! Chad Hanson was one of my favorite players in cfb last season

Yeah Tyrod reminds me of Jeff Blake

Do you think we can get Webb in the second or the third? It would be nice to grab Williams in the first, a Safety in the second and then QB in the third.

Go Bills!!!!!

I think there's a pretty good chance he goes top-50

Just looking at the teams that pick in the top 50, you have:

Cleveland (3x)

SF (2x)

Chicago (2x)

NYJ (2x)

Houston

All of them have definite QB needs. Then you throw in teams that are probably looking for a guy to develop, and you get:

LAC (2x)

NO (2x)

Arizona (2x)

NYG

KC

Pittsburgh

That's 16 potential landing spots for QBs, and I think it's fair to expect about 1/3 of those teams to draft QBs. With Webb the likely QB5, top-50 seems pretty likely to me.

Seems there is a bit of a Catch-22 here. The NFL generally prefers a pocket guy over an athletic guy. In the world of overly gross generalizations the pocket guys tend to be more on the white side while the more athletic types are not. Granted there are exceptions but if you look at Rodgers, Flynn, Brady-pocket guys, and Taylor, Wilson-athletic types you see a trend. EJ breaks that mold in the eye test but does support the narrative of overreaching for a pocket guy. While we would like things to be black or white metaphorically, we don't when it boils down to literally. So there is some validity to Jeff's point, but he failed to present it in a politically correct manner. Now let the flogging begin.

When is this archaic franchise going to learn that if you want a franchise qb you need to select the best qb in the draft and not wait for a lesser player because you are searching for value. The issue shouldn't be who is the best valued qb at a later round but who is the best qb and has the greatest chance to be a franchise qb.

Derek Carr was rated as a lower first round to second round type of player. He was selected at the top of the second round. If the Bills would have selected him in the first round would anyone be complaining? If the Bills, a qb starved franchise, would have seized the opportunity then to select a qb then the trajectory and dynamic of this franchise would be dramatically different.

This staid franchise has not had a legitimate franchise qb for twenty years or so, since the retirement of Kelly. It still hasn't learned that dithering and passivity on addressing that position are not responses that solve the problem that has kept this franchise stuck in the mud. The cycle of futility never ends because this franchise seems incapable of changing. It's comfort zone is so small that it can't find its way out of the small box that they jumped into.

Seems there is a bit of a Catch-22 here. The NFL generally prefers a pocket guy over an athletic guy. In the world of overly gross generalizations the pocket guys tend to be more on the white side while the more athletic types are not. Granted there are exceptions but if you look at Rodgers, Flynn, Brady-pocket guys, and Taylor, Wilson-athletic types you see a trend. EJ breaks that mold in the eye test but does support the narrative of overreaching for a pocket guy. While we would like things to be black or white metaphorically, we don't when it boils down to literally. So there is some validity to Jeff's point, but he failed to present it in a politically correct manner. Now let the flogging begin.

Actually, I knew his point from the beginning, and I have no need for it to be PC.

See my overall qb rankings below... based on watching 3 games for each qb (click to maximize)

HDeE5JA.png

I really like Webb. He's not perfect.. but he has several "best in class" traits to my eye

BEST IN CLASS

- ARM STRENGTH - his throwing motion literally looks like he is throwing darts. He has the strength to drive the ball to any part of the field

- AGGRESSIVENESS - he is not afraid to put the ball into tight windows. He also consistently attacks the intermediate areas without fear. According to PFF when measuring Deep Passing.. Webb had the highest number of attempts, yards and TDs when throwing deep. His completion percentage on deep balls was low.. however.. he had 18 TDS and 5 TDs when attempting to throw deep.. which tells me that he is taking smart chances. It also tells me he looks to go deep first rather than to check down.

- ACCURACY - when he is on the same page and trusts his receivers he does a fantastic job of leading his guy or putting it in a spot where only WR can get it.

- HEIGHT/VISION - his height allows him to see over the line to any part of the field

- DEEP BALL -- He's not afraid to take shots deep and I saw several nice examples of well thrown deep sideline balls.

- TOUGHNESS - I saw several examples of him hanging in the pocket an extra half second, delivering the throw and taking the big hit.

WEAKNESSES

- UNDER CENTER EXPERIENCE - He was out of shotgun almost 100% of the time .. so adjusting to a pro style under center offense and 3,5,7 step drops will likely take a while. His footwork wasn't too bad for a shotgun guy.. but he did get sloppy sometimes. It is also unknown if he can make NFL reads as he played in air raid offense. However.. I have read that he comes across as very smart and is dedicated to football.. so it seems he has the capacity and desire to learn.

- DECISION MAKING - He had an up an down season. The 2 games I watched at the beginning of the year he was decisive and fantastic. The game towards the end of the year I watched he was more hesitant and threw some bad picks and errant throws.

- MOBILITY - for a guy of his height he has functional mobility. He's not a statue .. but he will never be a real running threat that the D will have to account for

CONCLUSION

• The 2 guys that I think have the highest ceilings are Kizer and Webb. Out of the two... Webb is probably farthest behind as far as being prepared to start year 1.
  • That being said.. I think he is worth taking in Round 2 for a team that has an established starter where he can sit and learn for a year

FIT FOR BUFFALO?

• If Matt Schaub (who was not a running qb) could run Kubiak's (Dennison"s) offense effectively.. certainly Davis Webb could learn to do it.
  • As the Bills have TT in place as a Vet Starter.. they would be a perfect place for Webb to come in and sit and learn.
  • He would be great competition for Cardale (who I also like). If he ends up beating out Cardale for the #2 job then so be it.
  • What I don't want is a vet backup QB this year... we roll with TT and if he gets hurt and we don't make playoffs .. oh well.. I'd rather see the QB of the future get reps than a vet backup QB come in to try to get us to squeeze into playoffs
Edited by Bocephuz

Also name test. Does anyone believe Davis Webb sounds like a good NFL qb? He sounds like a frat bro golfer who got kicked out of school because he has an "incident" and his dad was forced to give him a job at his accounting firm.

Davis Webb sounds like he belongs to the same fraternity as Blake Bortles.

Also name test. Does anyone believe Davis Webb sounds like a good NFL qb? He sounds like a frat bro golfer who got kicked out of school because he has an "incident" and his dad was forced to give him a job at his accounting firm.

True, the best QBs have last names that include first names. Like Brady, Wilson, Ryan, Rodger(s). By this standard we really should only consider Watson and Peter(man).

Davis Webb sounds like he belongs to the same fraternity as Blake Bortles.

Ha. Blake Bortles could potentially also be a hot sorority girl.

True, the best QBs have last names that include first names. Like Brady, Wilson, Ryan, Rodger(s). By this standard we really should only consider Watson and Peter(man).

This is excellent work by you. You should trademark before someone steals it from you.

When is this archaic franchise going to learn that if you want a franchise qb you need to select the best qb in the draft and not wait for a lesser player because you are searching for value. The issue shouldn't be who is the best valued qb at a later round but who is the best qb and has the greatest chance to be a franchise qb.

Derek Carr was rated as a lower first round to second round type of player. He was selected at the top of the second round. If the Bills would have selected him in the first round would anyone be complaining? If the Bills, a qb starved franchise, would have seized the opportunity then to select a qb then the trajectory and dynamic of this franchise would be dramatically different.

This staid franchise has not had a legitimate franchise qb for twenty years or so, since the retirement of Kelly. It still hasn't learned that dithering and passivity on addressing that position are not responses that solve the problem that has kept this franchise stuck in the mud. The cycle of futility never ends because this franchise seems incapable of changing. It's comfort zone is so small that it can't find its way out of the small box that they jumped into.

Completely agree. There are a lot of folks on this board, however, who agree with the standard fill holes strategy and think one is a childish, instant gratification dope for thinking qb this year.

See my overall qb rankings below... based on watching 3 games for each qb (click to maximize)

HDeE5JA.png

I really like Webb. He's not perfect.. but he has several "best in class" traits to my eye

BEST IN CLASS

- ARM STRENGTH - his throwing motion literally looks like he is throwing darts. He has the strength to drive the ball to any part of the field

- AGGRESSIVENESS - he is not afraid to put the ball into tight windows. He also consistently attacks the intermediate areas without fear. According to PFF when measuring Deep Passing.. Webb had the highest number of attempts, yards and TDs when throwing deep. His completion percentage on deep balls was low.. however.. he had 18 TDS and 5 TDs when attempting to throw deep.. which tells me that he is taking smart chances. It also tells me he looks to go deep first rather than to check down.

- ACCURACY - when he is on the same page and trusts his receivers he does a fantastic job of leading his guy or putting it in a spot where only WR can get it.

- HEIGHT/VISION - his height allows him to see over the line to any part of the field

- DEEP BALL -- He's not afraid to take shots deep and I saw several nice examples of well thrown deep sideline balls.

- TOUGHNESS - I saw several examples of him hanging in the pocket an extra half second, delivering the throw and taking the big hit.

WEAKNESSES

- UNDER CENTER EXPERIENCE - He was out of shotgun almost 100% of the time .. so adjusting to a pro style under center offense and 3,5,7 step drops will likely take a while. His footwork wasn't too bad for a shotgun guy.. but he did get sloppy sometimes. It is also unknown if he can make NFL reads as he played in air raid offense. However.. I have read that he comes across as very smart and is dedicated to football.. so it seems he has the capacity and desire to learn.

- DECISION MAKING - He had an up an down season. The 2 games I watched at the beginning of the year he was decisive and fantastic. The game towards the end of the year I watched he was more hesitant and threw some bad picks and errant throws.

- MOBILITY - for a guy of his height he has functional mobility. He's not a statue .. but he will never be a real running threat that the D will have to account for

CONCLUSION

• The 2 guys that I think have the highest ceilings are Kizer and Webb. Out of the two... Webb is probably farthest behind as far as being prepared to start year 1.
  • That being said.. I think he is worth taking in Round 2 for a team that has an established starter where he can sit and learn for a year

FIT FOR BUFFALO?

• If Matt Schaub (who was not a running qb) could run Kubiak's (Dennison"s) offense effectively.. certainly Davis Webb could learn to do it.
  • As the Bills have TT in place as a Vet Starter.. they would be a perfect place for Webb to come in and sit and learn.
  • He would be great competition for Cardale (who I also like). If he ends up beating out Cardale for the #2 job then so be it.
  • What I don't want is a vet backup QB this year... we roll with TT and if he gets hurt and we don't make playoffs .. oh well.. I'd rather see the QB of the future get reps than a vet backup QB come in to try to get us to squeeze into playoffs

In what universe does Deshaun Watson have a stronger throwing arm than Patrick Mahomes? Who created that chart? Mahomes has a cannon, Watson has a rag arm.

....how did he go from nobody's radar to somebody's radar after him self proclaiming that "many NFL teams say I am a 1st rounder"?....Air Raid is another version of the spread and Mariotta is making the transition nicely, so that should not be a major concern if a guy is trainable....but why does this guy think he's rising up the charts?.....